PDA

View Full Version : Moli - Agapanthus?

dandysmom
17-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Am I supposed to cut off the stalk after it's finished blooming? What do you do?

Moli
17-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Am I supposed to cut off the stalk after it's finished blooming? What do you do?
Not sure DM:? This is the first one I have ever had, will have to ask Mags when she comes back....:?

dandysmom
17-08-2008, 08:57 PM
I do with the amaryllis; don't want it to use up it's energy making seeds. Maybe I'll do a Google.......

Moli
17-08-2008, 09:23 PM
I do with the amaryllis; don't want it to use up it's energy making seeds. Maybe I'll do a Google.......
Let me know what you find out;) The flowers on mine are begining to open now:)

dandysmom
17-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Been on several sites, and they say to remove the spent flower after blooming to encourage re-blooming. So, out with the shears tomorrow!

Moli
18-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Been on several sites, and they say to remove the spent flower after blooming to encourage re-blooming. So, out with the shears tomorrow!
Thanks DM, now I know what to do too:D My flowers are begining to open now, how long do they last??

dandysmom
18-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Mine lasted about a fortnight. It was really lovely; think I'll get another or two next year! I hope it does well in the house over Winter ......

Moli
18-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Mine lasted about a fortnight. It was really lovely; think I'll get another or two next year! I hope it does well in the house over Winter ......
Mine will have to go in the greenhouse...

dandysmom
18-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Lucky you to have enough room for a greenhouse! How I'd love one! My house gets pretty crowded when I bring in the amaryllis, geraniums, orchids, and now I have the agapanthus and the fuchsia to add! Alex's description of my back room as "the jungle room" was soooo apt.. :-D

angieh
18-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I know my climatic conditions are very different from yours and Moli's, Eileen. My agapanthus/es live outside directly in the ground. I don't even mulch them. I am an uncaring agapanthuses mum!

(What is the plural?)

dandysmom
18-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Agapanthi? :-D They're definitely not hardy here: our low this past Winter was 16F, we have gotten to single digits...brrr! South of here they live outdoors all year as they do in Africa. That would be nice.....:D
How cold can it get in Hampshire, Angie?

angieh
18-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, we do get minus figures, fairly heavy frosts. The thermometer which is in my greenhouse got down to minus 7 a couple of years ago, which is probably the lowest its been since we have lived here. It is my understanding that it isn't just the cold, but the cold and wet that causes the worst problems. They do get frosts in Africa at night, but they tend to be short lived. My agapanthus is fairly near the house in a relatively sheltered spot and they have been there undisturbed for about 5 years or so.

dandysmom
18-08-2008, 09:17 PM
I didn't realize you got that cold. Amazing the stuff I've learned on Catsey. I had one before and left it outside; it didn't make it, so this one will Winter indoors.

angieh
18-08-2008, 10:14 PM
... and to think that I have never worried about them! I worry about my tree fern and my two maples! My tree fern gets straw around its crown and then I cover the whole thing with a horticultural fleece bag! It is probably hardier actually than the agapanthus. I'll cut some ordinary fern and give them a good mulch this autumn - I feel quite guilty now!!!

dandysmom
18-08-2008, 10:31 PM
A tree fern? I've seen them in catalogues and love the appearance...but always thought they were tropical and touchy. Might we see a pic of yours?

angieh
19-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Yes - I'll go and see if I can get a decent pic when it stops raining. They really aren't that tricky - grow in the mountains of New Zealand - quite cold and damp! Can tolerate -5. They may lose their fronds in a bad winter and mine has in the past, but the new shoots grow incredibly quickly! The new "crozier" appears just like smaller ferns, but quite large! You just have to make sure the crown is protected.