PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on cat just given birth plz?

pollypop33
15-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi there

I would be gratefull for any advice someone could give me

I recently inherited a gorgeous 3 year old cat from a friend who didnt want her anymore :cry:

she is the most gorgeous loving cat you could meet, shortly after getting her we discovered she was pregnant, although i have had many cats b4 they have always been spayed so i have never had a cat who has had kittens and am very inexprerienced in this

2 days ago she gave birth to 6 gorgeous kittens but unfortunately 2 were stillborn and i tried everything to revive them but nothing worked

she has developed a close bond with me and wanted me there all through her labour and purrs when i pet the kittens gently, the problem i have however is that she wants me to sit with her and the kittens almost constantly and when i leave her she cries and follows me till i go back and sit with them again and then she purrs lol :)

this is not a problem for me as i do not mind, i am happy to give her the time and attention she needs but i just wanted to know if this is normal or if there may be something wrong with her

she is eating and drinking well, using her litter tray regular with no dhiorea and feeding and cleaning the kittens well

i would be gratefull for any advice on this matter

thankyou in advance

polly xxx

yola
15-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi Polly - welcome! I've not been through birthing kittens before - others here have - but on the face of it, I wouldn't say there is anything untoward. Are the remaining kittens developing OK? If you have any doubts on this front I'd get a vet out to look at them; but as for Mum being clingy - I don't think I'd be overly worried. After all, she's just moved home herself so is probably feeling a little insecure.

I'd love to see some pics of Mum and the babies . . . maybe she'll let you out of her sight long enough for you to grab a camera ;)

pollypop33
15-08-2008, 03:44 PM
hi

thanx for your reply i shall try to get some pictures loaded onto comp as i have got some on camera lol

yes the kittens appear to be growing already in 2 days and they have nice fat tummys and are not crying a lot ( only when she is not in nest and they want fed lol)

i was worried that she might be upset about the 2 that died or something but i am not sure if she would be or not

i phoned vet and they said unless there is something medical wrong with her there is no point taking her in and there doesnt appear to be i was just more worried about her emotional state, she has been very close to me from the start but just appears a bit worried if i leave her, i was surprised by her reaction to me touching her kittens as everyone says you shouldnt as it makes them upset but it seems to make her happy lol

Kim
15-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi and welcome to Catsey. I have had a cat who was pregnant, but she wasnt clingy like this once babies were born. However, all cats are different and as Yola says, it may just be that mum is feeling a little insecure. You sound as though you are doing everything right and being a good second mum! I don't think that cats grieve for their dead kittens, but I may be wrong. Good luck and we would love to see photos.

dandysmom
15-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I agree, don't think the clingyness is to worry about, she's obviously bonded well with you. Is this her first litter? As long as mum seems well and the kittens are thriving it sounds OK.

sarahd
18-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi
It is common for mums to bond with their owners. I have girls who want constant company when they are giving birth and others that would rather have their own privacy.
Is there anyway you could confine her just for the first week or so then she can't follow you around? Do you have a dog crate or something like that where you could put her bed and babies and then leave her in there with her litter tray and water.
Obviously keep going over to her frequently to reassure her you are still there and haven't left her. You will probably find that she will soon get the hang of not following you everywhere and that she should stay with her babies.
Usually at such a young age mothers lay almost constantly with their babies except for feeding and visits to the loo.
This first week is the most important week of the kittens lives with feeding and bonding etc. Obviously its the very early days when the colostrum appears and they need that to reinforce their immune systems.
She doesn't have to be shut away 24/7 but for long enough periods of time for the kittens to feed well and for her to spend plenty of time with them. Maybe let her out for say 1/2 hour at a time just for the first week and then leave her to her own devices by which time she hopefully shouldn't run after you when you walk away from her.
Does mum run back to them when they cry or is she happy to leave them until you go with her?

Good luck

Sarah
x