PDA

View Full Version : peeing on floor

swerv
12-08-2008, 08:10 PM
ok now that we know its not a medical problem how can we fix it?

basically boy is pissing next to the litter tray in the same place all the time but will not go in the tray, we have changed the litter and got more trays.

its wearing thin now mopping up every morning and night and would like some ideas if what has been succesfull for others with the same problems.

thanks in advance

Elaine
12-08-2008, 08:46 PM
You sound stressed Swerv and I am sure we all understand your frustration.
http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/soiling.html
The above link might help, or you could contact Wizz herself for help, she is lovely and will try to help.
Other than that, can I ask did he use the litter tray before with no problems? Does he poo in the litter box?

swerv
12-08-2008, 09:32 PM
yes he uses it for his poo fine and 'occasionally' for wee but rare.

litter trays were never a problem only started 2 months ago!!

sorry i came accross stressed but this a problem that wears you down over time when so little answers are available and we dont know if we are doing right or wrong.

thanks

meep
13-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Do you have other cats that also use the litter box? We have two, one for each cat,a nd they do interchange, but if one cat has gone for a wee in one and the other goes soon after, he'll avoid the one that's just been wee'd in.

Cats are fussy and clean creatues. I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations :( Sometimes you just wish they'd speak and tell you what's wrong!

Elaine
13-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Please dont appologise for sounding stressed, it's completely understandable. I have one who pee's in the box but just wont poo in it, this has been going on for years and i cannt find the solution but that is alot less stressfull than cat wee.
Ok, you may already know and have tried all these things but the general rule seems to be one litter tray per cat plus one extra. Thats the first thing.
Maybe this is stress related, maybe your other cat is bullying this one and intimidating it from using the tray, just a thought as cats are masters of subtlty (spelling) and maybe you havent noticed it.
You can try rescue remedy and or feliway to try to help calm the stress whilst trying to suss out what the problem really is.
You may also want to keep notes on both cats behaviours in and around the litter box.
I'll try to find some more useful links.
I hope we can all put our heads together and help resolve this as it does put a strain on animal/human relationships which can be very upsetting for both.

Elaine
13-08-2008, 11:04 AM
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/Housesoiling.html

http://cats.about.com/od/litterboxproblems/Inappropriate_Elimination_in_Cats.htm

I was also recently asked by my vet to try Zylkene, this is a food supplement, to be given with food, once a day. It has been designed to to help releive cats of stress. I havent actually tried it yet as i am currently trying Reiki and bach flower remedies.

Signs of stres are...

House soiling
Increased or decreased interaction with other pets or people
Habits such as excessive grooming or licking
Reduced appetite
Changes in the use of their environment e.g. stop going into the kitchen
Sleep disturbances
Reduced play
Posture, large pupils, lowered stance
Change in demeanour

caz
14-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Hi Swerv, I'm nor a regular on the site but read your problem and had to offer some advice.

I too had the problem of weeing outside the litter tray with my male bengal Mali. He always used the litter tray fine then one day started weeing on the floor, it could be next to his tray, in the front room anywhere! He was an only cat, so wasnt being bullied. like you i was pulling my hair out and as he was coming up to 6 months i had him neutured, but this did not solve the problem fully. I did some research and found that there was a difference between just weeing and spraying. spraying being terratory marking, which he wasnt doing. I contacted the breeder i had him from for some advice. I was using a wood pellet litter, which is what he was used to from a kitten so i didnt think that this could be the problem but i was wrong. She told me that due to bengals being muscley cats as the get bigger and heavier the large pellets begin to hurt their feet so dont like standing on it. I changed to a smaller litter and the problem stopped!

so my advice would be to change litters and see if that helps. :D

swerv
14-08-2008, 07:56 PM
thanks for all your advice, we have now taken the litter trays out of the room they were in as the floor is concrete and smells of wee and it will take time to get out, we also thought that this would confuse him as his smell would be on the floor!!

we changed the litter to the clumping type which is very small and soft from the wood pellets like above.

we have only just moved the trays tonight and boy has used the tray for a wee!!

am ordering the feliway stuff tonight, will keep you guys updated.

thanks again

Elaine
14-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Fingers crossed he continues to use the tray;) xxx

swerv
16-08-2008, 10:46 AM
so far so good, its been ok since thursday night!!

Elaine
16-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Thats good to hear, long may the improvement continue:D