PDA

View Full Version : Bullied because she has sore hip?

poppy
10-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Very sadly one of my cats got hit by a car in May. :cry:

I usually make sure both my cats are in at night but this particular evening I was unable to find her. Just after 6am next morning I looked out my window and saw her lying at the bottom of my neighbours garden with a fox hovering over her.

I rushed out to get her and she was totally limp, crying loudly and in a lot of pain. She was unable to move. I rushed to the vet where he diagnosed that she had most likely been hit by a car as her claws were worn down. Apparently a tell tale sign when they have been dragged across the ground. After xrays to confirm (broken in 4 places!) he manipulated her hip bones to reposition them as best he could.

So the good news!!!! After one week in the vets and a further 7 weeks in a cage at home she has made a remarkable recovery. She is slowly building up her muscles again and although she walks with a slight limp it is hardly noticable.

However she seems to be having problems with one of my neighbours cats who is picking fights with her. They always got on okay before (as far as I know) but now she is getting chased away and sometimes has wee tufts of hair coming away where she has come off worst.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am hoping it passses but has beeen going on for a few weeks now.

Not sure if the other cat has picked up that she is weaker ATM or if it is because she was off the scene for a couple of months.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Elaine
10-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Poor kitty, can you give us a little more info please?

poppy
11-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Poor kitty, can you give us a little more info please?

She is neutered and used to stand up for herself pretty well. There are a lot of cats round about where I live and most of them get on well. Have never heard any them fighting each other so that's why I am quite alarmed that it is happening.

Usually leave her out if the weather is nice and I am going out for 2 or 3 hours but really reluctant to do that in case she gets chased and has nowhere to hide.

She was always a cat that loved being outside and TBH honest still is, and the problem with my neighbours cat isn't putting her off going out.

I just get upset when I hear them fight and worry that she is being hurt as I don't really know if she is in pain still or not after the accident.

Is there a chance that she is just trying to re establish her territory do you think??

Elaine
11-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Most probably, due to her absense, the whole dimension of cat comunity status may have changed. Is the neighbours cat neutered? It may also be to do with the fact that she is weaker. Or a combination of both things.
How is she in herself? Does she seem less confident?
Sadly there isnt too much you can do about these things other than keeping your cat in, cat proofing the garden or let them get on with it.

yola
11-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Do you have a catflap? If she likes going outside it seems a bit mean to stop her doing so. However it would be good if there were somewhere she could seek cover in the event of being chased/bullied/attacked.

poppy
11-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Unfortunately no cat flap but as you say seems a bit mean to make her stay in!!

I suppose at the end of the day it looks as though it bothers me more than her.

If she was scared she probably wouldn't be going out so willingly.

Fingers crossed the other cat gets fed up eventually.

Thanks for your replies!!

angieh
11-08-2008, 01:53 PM
So sorry to hear that your cat was hit by a car and so glad to hear that she is recovering well. Hope as she gets stronger as time progresses, she will be able to sort it out herself.

What's her name by the way - and can we have a picture of her???

poppy
11-08-2008, 05:35 PM
So sorry to hear that your cat was hit by a car and so glad to hear that she is recovering well. Hope as she gets stronger as time progresses, she will be able to sort it out herself.

What's her name by the way - and can we have a picture of her???

SHe's called Kushka (apparently it's russian for female cat??) Photos to follow when I set up photobucket.:)