PDA

View Full Version : Noisy dog next door

kado
07-08-2008, 11:07 AM
We knew that there was a dog next door when we moved. Its about 10 and a German Sheppard. They used to have another dog but had to rehome it. The trouble we are having well all the neighbours are having is that she barks for at least 3hours in the morning and other times as well. They have been reported by at least 4 different people and only recentley as well. I know she is lonely but the barking is driving us up the B****y wall. Ive told the owner and he told me to count from 6-10 and she should go in she doesnt. Do any of you have any ideas on how to help the situation.

Jane Kado Guinness Simon Troy Chester and baby Angel

PoshPuss
07-08-2008, 01:29 PM
The owner seems very dismissive of your concerns and you have well founded cause for complaint here.
All dogs will bark but it can be controlled. Three hours of incessant barking is unnecessary noise pollution and you can report it to environmental health!
Good training can ensure the dog barks to alert, or in response to stimuli, not to get attention. Which it would seem this animal is doing now.
Kado, maybe you could suggest to the owner that he can get his dog trained. It's simple, he can do it from a book, or get info online. If he says he's using the dog to guard ( a common retort) then he is not being effective as the dog isn't responding well and will probably lick burglars to death due to lack of attention! A good guard dog is a quiet one !

I know its hard but try not to silence the dog with food or soft words, he'll think its a reward and do it all the more.
There are whistles and electronic gadgets that hurt the ears but I would only advocate this as a very last resort if the owner is obstructive... better to get the authorities involved then as well.
But I appreciate your need for peace. I work nights and this would really cheese me off!!

Moli
07-08-2008, 02:05 PM
We had the same problems with our neighbours dog, only they barked all night, as they are kennelled outside, we spoke to them got no where, the dog warden had a word, got no where, so in the end, we bought a bark buster, which omits a high pitch noise every time they barked, its worked a treat...

kado
07-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Thats sound a good idea moli where can i get one from. The owner has had like i said several complaints. Once somebody let the dog out and reported him to the rspca that she was being misstreated but when they came around they saw nothing wrong in the housing of the dog so nothing was done.

Moli
07-08-2008, 07:16 PM
http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/barkbuster-bark-stopper-p-765.html?source=googlebase

dandysmom
07-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Maddening, isn't it? There are two little yippy dogs across the street (don't know what they are, look like floor mops); they haven't been trained and bark and bark! The JR next door is a lovely well trained boy; only barks to alert the presence of strangers .....a shame people get a dog and then don't train it; not the dog's fault, really ...

Moli
07-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Maddening, isn't it? There are two little yippy dogs across the street (don't know what they are, look like floor mops); they haven't been trained and bark and bark! The JR next door is a lovely well trained boy; only barks to alert the presence of strangers .....a shame people get a dog and then don't train it; not the dog's fault, really ...
The dogs that bark here, are just bored, stuck in a kennel day and night!!!Why bother having them????
My girls bark just o let me know someone is around...

kado
07-08-2008, 10:23 PM
The poor girl is left at home most of the day. She has the run of the garden and the kitchen as well.

Kim
07-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Poor GSD, obviously suffering from separation anxiety. I doubt the RSPCA will do anything, unless the dog is being mistreated, not fed, etc. Is it worth several of the neighbours going round and having another word with the owner?

kado
07-08-2008, 11:01 PM
the family are approachable but people in my villiage like to keep themselfs to themself. Luckly its rained on and off all day today so she hasnt realy being out.

babycakes
08-08-2008, 10:48 PM
I have the same problem I took Moli's advice and bought a barkstop but I have to say I haven't fitted it yet!!! had so much going on. I will do over the weekend and let you know

Tommycat
08-08-2008, 11:22 PM
The owner seems very dismissive of your concerns and you have well founded cause for complaint here.
All dogs will bark but it can be controlled. Three hours of incessant barking is unnecessary noise pollution and you can report it to environmental health!
Good training can ensure the dog barks to alert, or in response to stimuli, not to get attention. Which it would seem this animal is doing now.
Kado, maybe you could suggest to the owner that he can get his dog trained. It's simple, he can do it from a book, or get info online. If he says he's using the dog to guard ( a common retort) then he is not being effective as the dog isn't responding well and will probably lick burglars to death due to lack of attention! A good guard dog is a quiet one !

I know its hard but try not to silence the dog with food or soft words, he'll think its a reward and do it all the more.
There are whistles and electronic gadgets that hurt the ears but I would only advocate this as a very last resort if the owner is obstructive... better to get the authorities involved then as well.
But I appreciate your need for peace. I work nights and this would really cheese me off!!

What are you talking about?

All dogs will bark, RUBBISH...!

A good guard dog is a quiet one, UTTER RUBBISH..!!

Train a 10yr old GSD from a book or online, complete cods wallop.

A GSD is the best guarding breed on the planet because they are known for barking and who's to say the dog in question isn't barking for a reason. Dogs have highly sensitive hearing and he may well be barking as he can hear something way beyond a humans hearing. Go and visit a Police Kennel and see just how noisey it is and they have been highly trained to speak on command. It doesn't however stop them barking constantly when in the presence of other dogs.

Please don't offer advice about dogs when you obviously don't have a clue about dogs and dog behaviour...!!!

Yes it is the owners responsibility to control his dog but suggesting devices to hurt a dogs ears is just down right irresponsible and not the actions of an animal lover.

By the way I own cats and dogs and I love all creatures great and small.

random
09-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Is she being kept outside or in Kado?

She isn't barking for nothing, dogs don't bark for nothing, he owner needs to find out why she is barking excessively and go from there, sounds like boredom, seperation anxiety, poor thing.

We had complaints about mine barking a while ago. At first it was when I first moved here and they were really excited and would bark on first going out for about 15-30 seconds max but to be fair they did do it each time they went out the back and environmental heath was called by our neighbours but was dismissed as they weren't barking enough and I proved to be a sensible owner (they said) so the neighbours then started antagonising the dogs from the windows and behind the fence when they were out to get them to bark more so they could complain again saying it had gotten worse! Didn't work though as I told them I had them on camera teasing the dogs (I didn't) and they never took it any further and stopped teasing the dogs too.

Now they hardly ever bark at all, yet the neighbour who complained has a dog who barks a lot more now than mine ever did, never ever seen him/her walked either, hmmmm!