View Full Version : Animal Cloning

Donna
05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Hmmm..

What do we all think of this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7542338.stm

Mags
05-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Sweet little pups, yes, but I'm not in favour of cloning ........leave nature alone I say.:(

Donna
05-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I find it a bit gruesome... nothing can ever replace a pet that we have lost.. that is why they are so special when they are here.

Mags
05-08-2008, 07:15 PM
That's exactly how I see it Donna, every animal has its own personality no matter how alike it is..

Donna
05-08-2008, 07:16 PM
And what happens when these cloned babies do not end up exactly like the original? Will the owner reject them?

Kazz
05-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Not at all keen on the idea saw the story on the tv today.....no one misses their animals (especial Oscar and Cleo) more than I do but an animal is the way they are due to a couple of main factors..their breed (certain breeds have certain traits) ...their enviroment/lifestyle how they are raised.
The dog she is trying to replace she never will because she has changed altered over the years herself so her way of life is different so the dog will not have the same "memories" as her old dog did. She herself has changed the way she lives and her experience of living and loving a dog as she did has given her an insight into "best/diferent ways to do things" her dog would have taught her and she would have taught him/her.

Its a shame she cannot just move on and get another dog not as a replacement but as a new friend........each new friendship will in time build its own lovely memories.....

I find it rather sad actually. Her life must be empty/lonel and she is clinging to the past not stepping into the furture.

dandysmom
05-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Kazz said it before I got to...very sad. She is going to expect those pups to be the same as her beloved Booger and they cannot. Different life experiences; nurture over nature if you prefer. I hope she's not too disappointed when they all turn out to be different individuals. IMO, better to have gotten a new loving companion, and keep the memories .....

Moli
05-08-2008, 10:45 PM
I personally think its very wrong cloning animals......
Kazz has said exactly how I see it too....

Grete
06-08-2008, 05:41 AM
I have to agree too, I would give anything to have 'Squeak' back but a genetically identical animal wouldn't be her. Her personality is what made her the amazing cat she was and while the very basic traits might be there (and I doubt even that), the rest wouldn't be.

Donna
08-08-2008, 01:08 PM
The story gets weirder :shock:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1042506/A-cloned-dog-Mormon-mink-lined-handcuffs-tantalising-mystery.html

pinklizzy
08-08-2008, 01:30 PM
OMG! :shock: That's so weird! That woman's even more crazy than I first thought.

meep
08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I do agree with everyone's sentiments that it's sad, almost pitiful :( My friend recently lost her dog of 15 years and I have been consoling her. I told her he'd had a wonderful life, it was the right thing to put him down before he was in too much pain etc. etc. and she tells me "i know he was happy, but he was unique. i'll never have another dog like him, and that's what makes me sad."

I completely sympathised with that, as when my old cat died when I was 12 I remember thinking how upset i was that I would never seem him again. I love all cats, and all the ones I've had since are so special, but he was entirely unique and nothing could replace it.

It hurts to think that, but also when you get over the pain, it gives you happy memories. She may resent the new puppy and scorn it if it doesn't grow up to be like Booger.

(by the way, does anyone else find booger to be a horrible name! As in, snot?!)

angieh
08-08-2008, 03:13 PM
OMG! I remember the Mormon sex slave case. I would bet that it's the same woman. Doolally I do believe.

I have to say that I have not made up my mind about cloning per se, and I suppose by using the techniques commercially, the scientists learn a lot. My problem really is where will it stop? These things always seem to present scenarios to prey on the minds of those who are vulnerable due to bereavement - be it of a beloved pet or, dare I say it, a child?

Yes meep, "Booger" is a horrid name - much too much like another word which if I used I am sure would be censored!

dandysmom
08-08-2008, 04:29 PM
OMG! I remember the Mormon sex slave case. I would bet that it's the same woman. Doolally I do believe.

I have to say that I have not made up my mind about cloning per se, and I suppose by using the techniques commercially, the scientists learn a lot. My problem really is where will it stop? These things always seem to present scenarios to prey on the minds of those who are vulnerable due to bereavement - be it of a beloved pet or, dare I say it, a child?

Yes meep, "Booger" is a horrid name - much too much like another word which if I used I am sure would be censored!

I agree, Angie! And the other "b" word, which doesn't have the same connotation here wouldn't slip past the censor on Catsey...I used it in all innocence in a post a long time back and it got ****ed!! :-D Here " a little

b*****" is like saying "a little imp" or " a little rascal".......

That woman is as crazy as a bedbug!! :shock: