PDA

View Full Version : Darcy was Sick

meep
04-08-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't think this is serious, but this morning I woke up to a little pile of sick (thankfully on the wooden floor, not the carpet!) WARNING, GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION!

It was quite liquidy and runny, with a few bits of stuff in it and I could spy a few bits of dried food. Last night he got some roast chicken as a treat (just little tit bits handed to him, not a plate of it) and I'm thinking it was maybe that? He's never been sick before. Minsky has once, from scoffing far too much dry food far too quickly, and he very quickly brought it all up again. But never with Darcy.

He ate his breakfast fine, and was quite lively before breakfast but afterwards he just went to the top of the wardrobe (their wee 'alone time' spot) and that was him. I am hoping it was just too much rich food, and his tummy's still a wee bit sore and that's all.

I know cats can be sick randomly, so I'm hoping it's a one off. Just looking for reassuance really!

The poor thing was obviously quite embarassed by it and kept scratching at the floor around it trying to bury it :(

kado
04-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I am sure he is going to be alright. Could it have been a furball. Simon and guinness brings them up from time to time. If Simon eats to much too fast he also brings it backs up and it is disgusting as well.

jane

meep
04-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks Jane. I don't think it was a hairball as I've seen those before and it did look different, much more 'sick-like'. I'll see how he is when I'm home after work, it was a good sign he ate his breakfast!

It is a pain when they scoff their food though :roll: They never seem to learn!

Elaine
04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I wouldnt worry too much Meep, just allow him to settle a bit, I am sure he'll be just fine. Should he continue to throw up, then seek a vets advice but for now I'd just keep an eye on him.;)

meep
04-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Will do Elaine, thanks ;) I'm pretty sure that, as you've said, it's just a one-off and he'l just need to settle but I was a wee bit worried. Have only had them for 5 week and it's the first time he's thrown up. Once he's done it a few more times I'll know that it's just a 'thing' that sometimes happens! (Not that I'm wanting him to throw up any more!)

Elaine
04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Pics please when you get a minute, not of the vomit but of the kitties:lol:

meep
04-08-2008, 03:43 PM
:lol::lol:::lol:

I read the first part of that and was thinking "EH?!" but you soon cleared it up. I'll get more pics of the boys up soon, I can take them at home but have to upload them at work due to slow connection at home :roll:

Elaine
04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I am a bit weird but not so weird that I relish pics of vomit.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
04-08-2008, 04:47 PM
I sort of suspect the roast chicken; that can be a bit rich. Keep an eye on him (as if you wouldn't!); hope his tummy will settle. Leia occasionally upchucks when she eats too fast; I've learned not to worry unless it recurs.....

angieh
04-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Upchuck! Like that word.

Merlin has done that since he was a kitten. He used to eat far too quickly and the food just used to upchuck almost the same as when it went down. Quite different to the watery stuff that comes up with bits of fur or grass.

Just a thought meep - do your cats have access to fresh grass? Eileen hand feeds Leia her daily stalks. Cats eat grass normally if they are feeling a bit queasy and upchuck whatever it is that's making them feel off. You can get little trays of indoor grass to grow for them I think.

Kim
04-08-2008, 10:12 PM
My Birman regualarly regurgitates his food, usually when he has eaten a lot of kibble very quickly. I have got used to it and don't worry much anymore as otherwise he is fine. If it were one of the others I would be more concerned. I guess what I am trying to say is that some cats are more sickly than others and hopefully Darcy will be fine.

meep
07-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Sorry for time it took to reply to this thread, and thanks for all the advice :)

I will look into getting them some grass, definately. Do you think it's ok to just pick some from outside and give it to them? Darcy likes to eat things out my fingers but Stravinsky generally won't :roll: I can but try!

Also, there's been no 'up-chucking' incidents since the first one I mentioned. Apart from a hairball from Minsky, but that's not worrying :)

dandysmom
07-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Sorry for time it took to reply to this thread, and thanks for all the advice :)

I will look into getting them some grass, definately. Do you think it's ok to just pick some from outside and give it to them? Darcy likes to eat things out my fingers but Stravinsky generally won't :roll: I can but try!

Also, there's been no 'up-chucking' incidents since the first one I mentioned. Apart from a hairball from Minsky, but that's not worrying :)

I've been doing just that for Leia for years! I got her some of the indoor cat grass and she didn't especially like it as much as the outdoor stuff. Of course don't pick it near the street where it might be polluted by car exhaust or dog pee...:-D Although most cats seem to enjoy the cat grass you grow inside...leave it to my Princess to be different....:roll: Let us know what happens ....

meep
07-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Great! We've got a small, mini-park right outside our flat with lots of really long, unmown grass. It's not so much a playpark as a small, tree-lined area. The only problem is lots of people take their dogs there to walk, so must hope it's not a dog pee patch!

That is very sweet of Leia only to take the outdoor grass, I can understand that it probably is much nicer. If we grew carrots inside in a wee pot, the ones outside in the earth with natural rail and sunshine probably taste better too!