PDA

View Full Version : Kitty Halitosis

PoshPuss
04-08-2008, 08:33 AM
In short, Posh has developed bog breath :roll:
It's probably her diet of mostly meat, which gets stuck in her teeth but I haven't attempted to brush her pegs, ever!
Any tips out there as to how I can solve the problem. She is a fussy eater, but likes some grass, any quick cures or long term remedies will be tried out ;)

yola
04-08-2008, 09:38 AM
You can get meat-flavoured toothpaste from the vets; it's called Logic (or something similar). You don't need to brush their teeth it contains enzymes which break down plaque etc. It's less of a short-term fix and will take a bit of time to work.

Having said that, it worked for most of my cats but Balie's remained impervious and had to have teeth extracted instead! :(

meep
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm afraid I can't offer any solutions! Has she developed it? Or always had? My wee one, Chaska, had cat flu as a kitten and ever since had slightly gungey eyes and always had awful fish breath. There seemed to be nothing we could do... But if she's developed it and didn't have it before then it prob is treatable as yola suggested!

Kim
04-08-2008, 11:41 AM
I use 'plaque off' for the dogs, which makes their breath smell sweet. You can use it with cats too.

Elaine
04-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I am wondering if she maybe has a bad tooth or inflamation in her gums? Maybe she eats mostly wet food as she finds it painful to eat buscuits. Might be time for her to have a wee dental check.

angieh
04-08-2008, 02:20 PM
I'd take Posh for a dental check too, PP.

PoshPuss
04-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Yes a dental check up sounds in order. I haven't noticed it as bad as this before and yes, she does refuse all 'solid' food, biscuits,Felix treat stix etc. She had bad cat flu when we first had her and her eyes are gunky, Meep, I put it down to her Persian flat face. Yola, good to know there are toothpastes out there, I pray it's not a gum disease that means extractions for her, she's still a young cat.
Will let you know how we get on, thanks for all your help ladies, I loves Catsey, I do! :-D

dandysmom
04-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Good luck; hope it's not a tooth or gum disease, and that the plaque remover toothpaste will do the job.......

Grete
05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
I highly recommend the Plaque-off stuff that's been mentioned. Bubbles had to have dental surgery and I don't want either her or Fizz to have to go through it again so began using it. The vet always comments how clean their teeth are now when they have check-ups :)

I would definately get her teeth checked first tho, I didn't realise just how much discomfort Bubbles was in until it was all gone and she was like a different and much happier cat.

PoshPuss
05-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks Grete. Duly noted and Posh has an appointment on Friday to see the vet :) will also get the Plaque-off as recommended.