PDA

View Full Version : Behavioural changes after a fit.

farthing
02-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi, I'm looking after my cousins 1 year old bengal cat while she is on holiday.
About 6 months ago he had a fit, and took a good 2 days to recover, we had him just after this happened and he seemed fine, although prhaps a little "vacant". I know the vets were a wee bit concerned about the recovery time but he has had no fits since, however he seems to be really grumpy and growls all the time, he wasn't like this the last time I had him and he's been here twice before so its not like it is completely new.
Does anybody have experience of behavioural changes after a fit. My cousin doesn't seem to have noticed the link, but he's a different cat to the last time I had him.

Fran
02-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Yes, I noticed behaviour/personality changes after my queen had eclampsia and convulsions after having her litter of kittens but it was only temporary lasting no more than a few weeks and 8 months on you would never know anything had happened to her. I'd be inclined to get the vet to check the cat out to see if there is something underlying, good luck!

angieh
02-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Sorry to read this farthing. Poor little cat - if I read your post correctly, he was only 6 months old when he had his fit. Was the cause diagnosed at the time? Has he been on any meds?

farthing
03-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi angie, yes he would have been about 6 months. The cause wasn't diagnosed and there were no tests done, the plan was to do bloods if he had another one. I will need to speak to my cousin and ask if she has noticed a difference in him. He is a beautiful cat, a choclate marble with big golden eyes, but I just feel he's not right.

angieh
03-08-2008, 12:19 PM
I wonder if his temperament changes are due to chemical imbalance in his brain and if so whether this could be helped by any medication. Poor cat - it's a real shame. He doesn't sound like he's a happy soul.