PDA

View Full Version : my girl is a boy!!

Elvisisboss
31-07-2008, 05:43 PM
ah dear!!

was playing with Slippers last night and i noticed that well...........he looked like my other cat when he is on his tummy............YEP!! my other cats aboy!

so i looked it up online and i am 99.9% sure with all the drawings i looked at and studying my kitten lol!! that he is not a girl his a boy!

going to the vets in a couple of weeks so will ask but im pretty sure she is a he!

better get him neutered ASAP do not want little kittys running round my place as the new cat is a girl!!! :shock:

could only happen to me!

dandysmom
31-07-2008, 08:27 PM
ah dear!!

was playing with Slippers last night and i noticed that well...........he looked like my other cat when he is on his tummy............YEP!! my other cats aboy!

so i looked it up online and i am 99.9% sure with all the drawings i looked at and studying my kitten lol!! that he is not a girl his a boy!

going to the vets in a couple of weeks so will ask but im pretty sure she is a he!

better get him neutered ASAP do not want little kittys running round my place as the new cat is a girl!!! :shock:

could only happen to me!

Nope, happens more often than you'd think; boys turn out to be girls and vice versa. But you love him anyway!

Elaine
31-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Dont worry about it too much, these things happen all the time:lol: As long as you love them and are responsible enough to have them neutered, thats what really matters;)

Erin
31-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Thats a wee bit harsh Jac. I have a friend who does cat rescue and we have had several good laughs over her getting the sexes wrong, even her vet takes the mick out of her for it.:lol:

Little Emily is a gorgeous little boy isnt he Elaine :lol:

Elaine
31-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Little Emily is a gorgeous little boy isnt he Elaine :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd forgotten about Emily but he is a beauty:-D

EmmaG
31-07-2008, 08:37 PM
ah dear!!

could only happen to me!

LOL you are not the only person I know who has had this happen to them. One of my work colleagues got a kitten (she was told and also thought herself) that it was a girl, turned out to be a boy :) and she has had cats before.

Elvisisboss
31-07-2008, 08:44 PM
lol Emma!! im glad i know now though can get him neutered ASAP do not want little kittens running round my place!!
oo im in essex to!

thanks everyone glad it isnt jsut me now!

does anyone know while im him how soon you ca get a kitten neutered, my other cat whose 11 was neutered as a kitten but i cant remember that far back!
:)

dandysmom
31-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Your vet will let you know what the proper age is for neutering. He'll be a happier, healthier cat, and as you say, no danger of little kitties!

Elaine
31-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Give your vet a call in the morning and be guided by them, some vets neuter earlier than 6 months and other on the 6 month mark.

This is Emily, he is black one on Erins lap, the other is Becky, a snotty bengal.;)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ElainePirie/Diddydawn/Todayspics128.jpg
Some of you may remember the sad tale of all those little blind kittens that Dawn had in last year, Emily was the only survivor. DD got the sex wrong:lol: but had got so used to calling him Emily that the name has stuck. It caused much hilarity at her vets when she took Emily in for the nut chop:-D

dandysmom
31-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I think I'd have changed it to Emil or Emilio.........

Elaine
31-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I think I'd have changed it to Emil or Emilio.........

DD thinks he still suits Emily, Emily doesnt seem at all bothered:lol:

Darky
31-07-2008, 09:36 PM
The same thing happened to me when I got Honey. Y'see, I went to pick him up and the owner of the kitten's Mother was away but her husband was there, and he couldn't sex kittens so didn't know which were male or which were female, and guessed mine was one of the three females.

But I noticed one day that that wasn't quite right. :oops:

Elaine
31-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Sadly they are not my cats but my friend Diddydawns, she runs an independant rescue in North Wales.
I did however get my Bernie from her and ofcourse i have the Diva but she wasnt one of DD's.

Elaine
31-07-2008, 09:40 PM
The same thing happened to me when I got Honey. Y'see, I went to pick him up and the owner of the kitten's Mother was away but her husband was there, and he couldn't sex kittens so didn't know which were male or which were female, and guessed mine was one of the three females.

But I noticed one day that that wasn't quite right. :oops:

Elvisisboss
31-07-2008, 09:51 PM
awww lol your cats are still gorgeous though! :D

lol i was going to call him honey to! still love that name! though! :D

ellenlouise
31-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Oh dear happens to the best of us I think. The breeder I got Lily from though she was a male up until she was 7 weeks. She just looks like a male bless her. Apart from the boy bits. lol

The breeder nickname for her was heshe nearly kept it lol. She is defintly a girlie now though!

kado
31-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Guinness i looked after on bonfire night in 2005. I wouldnt let him go back because of the state of his house he lived in he actualy lived in a pub. A friend who got him for him sexed him he's had cats for years and said he was a girl even the vet didnt say he was a boy until the second visit when he said he was a boy. He was then about 16wks old and orginaly called tabitha so we changed his name to guinness because he came from a pub.

Az
31-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Elvisisboss - if you didn't get him from a proper breeder then I can see how they may have got it wrong. A neighbour rescued a kitten and was told it was a girl... but they didn't realise it was a boy for about 2 months later :lol:

It's not exactly something you 'look out' for if you're new to cats. To breeders and enthusiasts they'd probably have spotted it.

Jac - perhaps you are having a rough day as it's not like you to jump to conclusions or snap at people. We'll get the thread cleaned up.

bobbie3917
01-08-2008, 12:45 AM
it happened to a friend of mine she was given 2 girl moggies and she didnt notice until 1 of the girls had kittens that the other was a boy lol (they were only indoor cats) she soon had him and her done

Elvisisboss
01-08-2008, 01:16 AM
aww kado i think guinness is a nice name! :D :D suits B&W cats! :D

Az- lol i know thats what i thought!

bobbie, was talking to my neighbour and he as a little cat & she thoguht ti was a boy until they took it to the vet and it was a girl!

meep
01-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Oh dear what a mix up but just as well you caught it in time!!

This happened to us, but with guinea pigs. My sister was given a wee guinea-pig as a birthday present by her school friend. The owner (mum of the kid) bred them. We received it and was told it was a boy; who were we to think otherwise? Anyway, it was the only guinea-pig we had. It started to get a bit fatter and we thought about putting it on a diet (!) until one day my mum opened the hutch door and there were four guinea-pigs!! And the amazing thing about guinea-pigs is they come out looking exactly like minature adult, with fur, eyes open etc. Just adorable.

So it turns out the previous owner (who BREEDS them!) had sexed her as a male, kept her with all the other guinea-pigs she had, and the poor wee girl had become pregnant before she came to us. I know guinea-pigs and cats are different, but I think misdiagnosing the sex can happen often. Like I said, just as well you spotted it before it was too late!

ANd to be honest, I'd say well done for spotting it. I'm not sure what the earlier hoo-ha was about, with you not being able to spot it sooner (?) but I'm impressed you noticed at all! Well done you ;)

As for names, when I told a few folk I was calling Darcy Darcy they all told me it was a girls name!! I think it's interchangeable, but I did name him after Austen's Mr. Darcy so :roll:

random
01-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Happened to me twice, well nearly. I got 2 'girls' from a friends farm, a stray had decided to come along and give birth in her barn! :shock: She ended up keeping mum, got her spayed e.t.c and sold the kittens, she gave me 2 of the girls but when I got them home I realised one was a little boy! This is really understandable as she'd never had pets of any kind before this cat came into her barn (and her life!) so she wasn't to knwo really, she did do a lot of reading up on what to do though, she was a star for this new mummy and still has her to this day!

When I got Anakin form a pet shop :roll:, totally unplanned which I do not advise at all but that's another story, too much of a sucker for an ill treated animal I am, however the pet shop people said they 'thought' were all girls, I checked, 2 BOYS and ONE girl, I checked again and was 100% sure, would they listen, would the hell, they sold me Anakin as a girl and his furry plums have recently came down, I have a good mind to take him up and show them, "what kind of girl has these?" in a 'told ya so' kind of attitude.

My vet won't neuter either sex 'til 6 months.

Elvisisboss
01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
lol meep blimey! :D :D lol thanks, ddint know what i was looking at lol but knew maybe that it wasnt a girl after all the playing we have been doing!! turn out she or he! isnt!

glad i know now though, want to get him done asap!

awww random! pet shops how can they not beleive you?? id take her down there!!