PDA

View Full Version : Merlin not quite so grumpy with the vet today!

angieh
31-07-2008, 04:38 PM
After yesterday's trip to see the vet nurse, I took Merlin to see the vet today.

TBH, although the vet nurse was as I said yesterday, a sweetie, it really was a waste of time - should have just taken Merlin to see the vet, would have been less stressful for him. The vet said oh yes fleas, there's the flea dirt evidence (on the exam table) - but as you Frontlined him on 19th it's too early to do it again. He described Merlin's behaviour absolutely to a T and said that he had been over sensitised by being bitten, albeit he did not have a definite flea allergy or an infestation (thank goodness). He would have given a steroid injection to calm his skin reaction but could not because Merlin is on Metacam and should not have the medication for 24 hours before any steroid injection which could compromise his kidneys etc.

Anyway, long and short is we have prednisolone 5mg tablets which we start tomorrow morning - 2 tablets once a day for 3 days, then 1 tablet once a day for 4 days with a gap of at least 48 hours before restarting his Metacam.

Vet said I should see a difference fairly quickly.

Merlin was good at the vet until the last moment when he decided he'd had enough. He didn't draw blood this time though - so better than yesterday. He seems a bit calmer today and has eaten well ,etc.

Will keep you all posted!

(I'm on the antihistamines!)

pinklizzy
31-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Glad he's feeling a bit better today, the preds should help his skin feel much calmer soon. Imogen sends purrs to uncle Merlin!

Mags
31-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Glad Merlin found the vet visit a bit easier today....:D

Moli
31-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Poor boy must get fed up with all the mucking about, pleased to hear he was more relaxed today...

Kazz
31-07-2008, 07:24 PM
He'll soon feel a difference and you'll see the diference in him.........

I have to say the older our cats get the better we get to know the vets.............its one of those things..chin up.

Elaine
31-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Poor Merlin, he's really having quite a time of it lately, bless his impatient but furry paws. xxx
Glad he didnt break the skin this time xxx Look after those cat bites though, they can get very nasty.

dandysmom
31-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Poor Merlin, he's been thru quite a bit lately! I do hope the rest of his Summer will be tranquil and no more vet visits! Take care of those bites!

angieh
31-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks everyone! Honestly, the bites are fine - no worries.