PDA

View Full Version : help with hiding cat?

Tink
31-07-2008, 02:53 AM
emily (formerly shelby) is hiding in the house somewhere.
one of the dogs freaked her out and i have no idea where she is, i've looked everywhere i can think of.
any tricks for bringing a kitty out of hiding? i've had the dogs locked out all day to keep it quiet. her food hasn't been touched.:(

meep
31-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Awh poor wee Emily and her scare! My advice would be to sit it out for a wee while. If you go looking for her, and she's spooked, she'll be aware of lots of movement and disturbances around the house (like in cupboards, under beds etc). Cats really don't like to be disturbed when they want alone time. So leave it for a few hours, just get on with your own thing, read a book or something, play some quiet music to let her know you'll still there but not bashing around, and she should come out on her own accord.

I live in a two bed flat, with not many hiding places but one day I searched EVERYWHERE and could not find Minsky. I thought he might of become a regular houdini and slipped out a tiny gap in the window! After about half an hour of calling and shaking his food bowl, I gave up and sat down quite worried, then another half hour later he sauntered into the living room quite the thing. I've still not worked out where he was as I looked friggin' everywhere!

But like I said, she'll come out of hiding when she's ready. If it's been about 4 hours and still no sign, have a wee search again, but quite calmly, and you may find her curled up sleeping somewhere!

Tink
31-07-2008, 10:14 AM
thanks! i found her in a place i can't reach her. behind a fish tank on the windowsill. i gave her food and treats from where i could reach..set up some pillows, cubicles, and her litter box and some cardboard boxes in case she feels like coming out slowly. even sprinkled some catnip around..LOL. i even left her a can of tuna and her favorite treats! (so maybe i overdid it..LOL) i hope she feels okay and isn't too scared. she isn't hissing anymore (at me or tigger) so that's a start! i just hope she's not too freaked out and she'll take up one of the comfy places i setup instead of the windowsill..poor kitty!

meep
31-07-2008, 10:22 AM
That's a relief Tink! Even though we know they're in the house somewhere, it is such a worry when you can't find them! I'm sure all she needs is a bit of me-time and she'll be fine :)

Mags
31-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Glad you managed to find her Tink, she is probably still a bit nervous and unsure in her new home..

dandysmom
31-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Was she used to dogs before?
Glad you found her; it will probably take her a while to settle in; quite big change for the little girl. But she's in good hands!

kado
31-07-2008, 11:45 PM
A few days ago troy went and hid what it seemed for hours under the kitchen units and we had too take the bottom off them to get him out and we have done it several times since

Tink
01-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Was she used to dogs before?
Glad you found her; it will probably take her a while to settle in; quite big change for the little girl. But she's in good hands!

her owner said she had houseguests that used to bring dogs over and she'd hide for a day then come out and even eventually would play with them. our two bigger dogs would be okay with that, the little one not so much. i think what happened was she was walking past my OH in the hall and the little one is very territorial over him and growled and barked.
also, she used to live with another kitty but that was two years ago and her owner said she would have to get used to that. and, well, there's always the ferrets..that's new. my boys tend to sniff kitties then walk away, though one tries to cuddle..so she's probably a little annoyed with that too. i can't blame her...it's a very multispecies household. on a lighter note, she's doing much better than tigger and cuddles' first four days here..and now they really couldn't care less about the others..so there's hope.
at least she stopped hissing at me and the other cats;)
oh and of course the others wanna go in and disrupt HER litter box that the owner said she was partial to and brought. i'd imagine that would get her in a tiff too.

Grete
01-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Sounds like she will find her feet just fine and it's good she has a place she can go to when it all gets a bit much.

When we first brought Fizz home she disappeared for hours and we were really worried she'd got out somehow and we searched *everwhere*. Then noticed there was a little lump under the duvet we have over the cushions of the (very old) sofa. Bless her :)

dandysmom
01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
When Patches came, Misty took objection to it rather violently, so Patches hid...could not find her for hours: turned out she had gone to the unfinished basement where the large pipes run along the ceiling and was sitting rather precariously on top of a water pipe!! :shock: I still don't know how she got up there.....very dark tortie on black pipe in dimly lit basement.....

fancyabrew
07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
how about giving this a go

http://www.loc8tor.co.uk/product_information.asp?pid=23&cid=5

tags look pretty small and if your cat has a collar you can stick it on that