PDA

View Full Version : anyone else here allergic to gluten...

Tink
30-07-2008, 10:45 PM
or have celiac disease?
i was diagnosed a few weeks ago and am having trouble with the new diet:roll:

yola
31-07-2008, 09:26 AM
My husband is quite badly gluten intollerant. We have adapted our diet to allow for this quite successfully. What especially are you having a problem with Tink?

Tink
31-07-2008, 10:18 AM
the no bread or pasta part! LOL..
i got the gluten free substitues and they tasted horrible. and so expensive..our economy is horrible here and money doesn't stretch far these days for groceries and i can't afford the places that carry a lot of substitutes.
i'm getting tired of using corn tortillas instead of bread for everything. and sometimes too tired to prepare something so i just grab some organic corn chips or peanut butter.
i guess it's just hard to get used too...the gluten free pasta i made was really mushy too..i threw it out.
i'm so addicted to bread and pasta i'm really unhappy about the substitutes. and i hate putting a lot of effort into cooking if it's only for myself.
and it's quite annoying when my OH is eating some yummy pasta or sandwiches i can't have.
do you know which kinds of chocolates are okay? i'm having trouble figuring it out. i heard some are okay but i don't know what to look for.

yola
31-07-2008, 11:24 AM
We use rye bread. For me that's a minimal problem as being of Polish original it was eaten in preference to mushy white bread anyway. OH has adapted OK after a bit. The white gluten-free bread is truly disgusting we don't even bother with that and yes, it's extremely expensive here too. Are you OK with oat biscuits? They can be lovely with most things on and can eventually be a good substitute for wheat-based products.

Now gluten-free pasta I can hand-on-heart say I prefer to wheat pasta. I find it lighter and far less stodgy. You need to cook it with more water and for less time as it goes quickly from quite hard to an over-boiled pap. You'll get the hang of it. Do you have the Australian brand OrGran? Their pastas are very tasty!

What about rice noodles? They'd be OK to eat. Also rice. And not just the white rice; there are lots of variants; brown rice, red carmargue rice, black rice. The latter two aren't strictly-speaking rice, but some kind if rice-like grain.

You can also try Quinoia (pronounced keenwa). It's a gluten-free grain which is cooked a bit like couscous (which is gluten rich and used to be a favourite of ours) except longer. It can be mixed with salads, or with roasted vegetables etc.

I think your OH needs to help you and start to eat the stuff you eat. You will ultimately both feel a lot better for it as gluten is horribly indigestible and makes the digestive tract very sluggish. The main thing is that you'll have to stop snacking and start cooking which means a bit of discipline in the short term but ultimately is quite rewarding.

Chocolate? I think try buying the continental stuff rather than the US or UK brands because they will be purer in terms of their chocolage content with less 'padding'

Tink
01-08-2008, 01:19 AM
wow, thanks for all the info, yola. i need to make a list of all that and then drive around and check out the other stores here. i found one store that literally had three small shelves of options.
my OH tried it for a few days and was like "forget this". i'll keep in mind how to cook the pasta better next time. i tried pasta shells but haven't tried the corn based spaghetti yet.
rice noodles is a great idea, i can't believe i never thought of that!
i'm glad someone else found the gluten free white bread as disgusting as i did. and it's so thick and left my mouth dry..yuck.
my stomach doesn't hurt as much but still hurts. my GI doctor is trying some meds to supplement but we haven't found the perfect find yet. if i still have pain in a month he's ordering a CT scan as the endoscopy didn't show much except acid causing red divets in my stomach lining.
you are very understanding for eating what your husband eats, i wish my OH would make the switch so i could stop glaring at him when he eats...LOL!

dandysmom
01-08-2008, 02:14 AM
Tink, don't know if you ever do any Chinese stir fries or other dishes, but you could try cellophane noodles (made from mung beans). Very tasty and some nice recipes .....I have a good one for shrimp!

Also came across this link for shirataki noodles; never heard of them and have no idea how they taste, but it might be worthwhile to give it a look... possibly able to substitute them for wheat noodles in pasta dishes...???

√http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm (http://www.catsey.com/%E2%88%9Ahttp://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm)

Tink
01-08-2008, 07:50 AM
thank you!