PDA

View Full Version : How do i get rid of fleas

kado
29-07-2008, 06:19 PM
I have treated my bedroom 3 times in the las week as i have with the rest of the house. I still havent got rid of the little blighters. The vet said i cant treat the cats until next week. I seem to be the only one getting bit as well. The owner of the house did have a out door cat as well and our bedroom hasnt got a carpet down as yet. I dont seemed to get bit down stairs it mainly in my bedroom. The OH says i am being parinoid as i am the only one getting bit and doesnt believe that there is any or there isnt that many ive got the bites to prove it. What can i do i have tried 2 types of spray, should i try the flea bombs or the vets one i just dont know anymore. Please can anybody offer any advice its getting me realy down in the dumps. I darent even sleep upstairs incase i get bit.

jane

farthing
29-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi, what kind of flea spray have you tried. We had great success with "acclaim" from the vets, we tried the flea bombs from the supermarket and they didn't really work.

We used the acclaim twice, the rooms have to be left sealed for 30 mins I think and you probably need to treat the whole house. We also washed all bedding- us and animals- at the highest temp they could take and hoovered every day for about a month.:shock:

Hope this helps, "indorex" flea spray from the vet is also supposed to be good.

angieh
29-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Oh Jane I really sympathise with you - I am currently in a similar situation and the little b****** only bite me and Merlin. I Fronlined him on 19/07 (he is regularly done) and started getting bitten about a week ago in a room where he never goes! Unfortunately it's in this room where I do my work and use the computer. OH kindly vacuumed and sprayed the room with Staykill on Sunday but I found another flea today. I did phone the vet yesterday and the nurse said to give it a couple of days to see if the situation improves after the Sunday spraying and if not to take Merlin in for the nurse to check him over and perhaps give him an injection to at least get rid of the fleas on him.

It's miserable, I know, especially if you're the only one suffering.

smudgley
30-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Frontline spray on the cats when they can be done again & all the house with acclaim including pet bedding and furniture. Works a treat! ;)

dandysmom
30-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Jane, I had a very bad flea infestation some years back, and had really great success with this kind of lighted flea trap with a glue pad. Got it at my hardware store; you can get refill glue pads when the original is full of dead fleas! Works very fast; the first morning when I came downstairs to check it it was absolutely covered with them! I think you'd find it a good backup to the sprays, etc. See if you can find one there; this is a US site, but will give you an idea of what it's like. Good luck!

.http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=VIC-M230&

Tanya
30-07-2008, 06:39 PM
When Oli had fleas Frontline didn't work. The vet had a different flea treatment and that did work. Sorry I cant remember the name!! See what other spot-on flea treatments your vet has.They are always happy to help.

As for treating the house, we tried a couple from the petshop (Johnsons and another) but they were rubbish. In the end I used vet acclaim and it worked a treat.

Heres a link for the household spray. Its alot cheaper than getting it from the vet and has free delivery...

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16

Goodluck on the flea kill ;)

bobbie3917
30-07-2008, 11:52 PM
which would people say was better frontline or stronghold?

sgw1988
31-07-2008, 08:09 AM
i have exactly the same problem at the moment its a nightmare!
cats have been frontlined house has been sprayed with indorex numerous times but i'm still finding a few its doing my head in. cats eems to be scratching their ears a lot. they are the vet this morning for stitches out from their op, so i am going to ask her for some advice!! i'll let you know what she says.

S

farthing
31-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Mybe the cats are picking the fleas up from somewhere else and bringing them it, I would think it takes a wee while for the frontline/indorex to work, it won't be instant.

fancyabrew
31-07-2008, 03:35 PM
best treatment to get rid of fleas on the cat FAST is capstar tablets, I think Johnson and Johnson do a version as well. They work REALLY quickly! Cleared up our cat a treat, once the fleas are gone from the cat then make sure you keep it upto dat with frontline

kado
31-07-2008, 03:42 PM
I flea bombed the house last night I havent seen any as yet upstairs that was my main problem. I am taking all the cats to the vets early next week for the vets to deflea them as guinness is a bit big frontline wont work at all on him. Getting the vet nurse to treat them all so all it will is cost is the price of anything that i get. At the same time before we leave for the vets i am flea bombing the house just to make sure. All my friends thinks its from the previous cat that was in the house not ours. Let you no on how i get on.
ps the OH has actualy got bit and now believes me now
jane

dandysmom
31-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Sorry not nice of me, but glad OH got bit! Proves your point....

angieh
31-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Second that Eileen. Wish one would bite MY OH!

dandysmom
31-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Second that Eileen. Wish one would bite MY OH!

Funny how our body chemistry apparently affects what bites us! I never had one flea bite during my infestation; but to mosquitoes apparently I am very very delicious! :roll:

Mags
31-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Funny how our body chemistry apparently affects what bites us! I never had one flea bite during my infestation; but to mosquitoes apparently I am very very delicious! :roll:
I haven't ever been bitten by a flea but I am the mosquitoes best friend I think!:lol:

sgw1988
03-08-2008, 07:04 PM
so the vet sprayed both of them with frontline spray so hopefuly that should do it now! the house has been treated and so have they... twice! fingers crossed.

angieh
03-08-2008, 10:23 PM
When I took Merlin to the vet on Thursday, he was prescribed steroids as the vet thought he had been over sensitised to the flea bites - he found flea dirt but no fleas. However TBH I'm not convinced he doesn't still have fleas on him. He is still jumping and scratching, although he does seem more relaxed about it!

I last Frontlined him on 19/08 and the vet said it was too early to do him again, probably taking into account his age and medical history etc. - would it be dangerous to re-apply the Frontline after 2 weeks. I have emailed Meril with the same question and will let you know if they get back to me.

momof10
04-08-2008, 06:43 AM
I use borax on the carpets. Sprinkle it all over the house and leave it for a couple days. It makes the fleas dehydrate (sp) and they die. I have always had good luck with that. Make sure to get it in the corners and around the bases. Then vacuum it up and that should do it. Let us know if it works. Good luck.