PDA

View Full Version : An allergic Au Pair

yola
28-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Well despite checking via email prior to her arrival that she was OK with cats, my au pair drops the fact that she's actually badly allergic to them and was suffering from asthma last night!

Great! Whilst I do feel sorry for her, as it must be awful, I DID check and she DID say it was OK :shock: So now she's talking about having to go home early if she continues to feel unwell which really leaves me in the smelly stuff as I have piles of work to do and I just can't take Dominik to the office with me every day as it's not fair on him.

Grrrrrr :evil:

Moli
28-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Thats really makes things difficult for you Yola, why couldn't she be honest and say she was allergic before you employed her.....!!

dandysmom
28-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Oh Yola, that's awful! :shock: She never should have accepted the position knowing that; leaves you in a real bind, doesn't it? Is that some sort of breach of contract? I hope you don't have to pay the agency as she's obviously unsuitable.....what a mess!:(

angieh
28-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Try her on some antihistamine tabs before giving up completely!?

yola
28-07-2008, 10:09 PM
She didn't come through an agency Eileen; she's the best friend of my 'star' au pair from last year, Luise. She's a lovely girl and maybe she didn't realise the allergy wouldn't be too bad but with 3 long-haired cats what did she expect?

I'm hoping that maybe it settles down . . . I know even I was a bit sneezy around Myshka for the first few days . . . otherwise I'm really not sure what I'm going to do :roll:

Kazz
28-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Did you find the lady through an agency can they not find another person suitable??? I know its a bit "not to good" but better than someone allergic....and not performing on full throttle with the children....

Kazz
28-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Okay ignore my above post.............

Kazz
28-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Although Erin is free for a week or two.............;)

yola
28-07-2008, 10:23 PM
LOL Karen!! Angie, I think she's come armed with antihistamine and inhalers and the like, nothing seems to be working at the moment.

However, small compensation it might be; but she did hand over the hugest tub of haribo I've ever seen :-D

dandysmom
28-07-2008, 10:27 PM
This clueless one needs to know: what is haribo?

smudgley
28-07-2008, 11:19 PM
This clueless one needs to know: what is haribo?

:-D Haribo is a trade name that make jelly sweets :-D

:-D She handed over a huge tub of sweets :-D

dandysmom
28-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Ah so! Thanks! (Why was I thinking cheese?)

yola
29-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Were you thinking of haloumi, Eileen?

Kazz
29-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Ahh someone has already said what Haribo is however it called also be called......bribery, Eileen, bribery....;)

yola
29-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Noooo :-D She brought the tub of sweets for the boys and wine for us grown-ups as pressies ;) But I luuurve haribo :D and am easily seduced by such things :roll:

I hope she's feeling better today as I've left her a whopping pile of ironing :shock:

dandysmom
29-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Were you thinking of haloumi, Eileen?

No. just thinking of what would make a nice gift, and as I'm not much of a sweets fan but a huge cheese fan...."tub" made me think of a lovely spreadable cheese like Boursin ....:-D

angieh
29-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I hope she's feeling better today as I've left her a whopping pile of ironing :shock:

Now there is something I'M allergic to!

dandysmom
29-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Now there is something I'M allergic to!

Oh, amen!!! If it needs ironing, I don't buy it! :-D

yola
01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Well, she's off on Sunday. Her allergy has got the better of her. I think she's genuinely sad aout messing me around . . .but that's no consolation as I have now to palm poor Dominik off on my Mum and whoever else I can as I really have not scheduled additional time off. Hopefully my Mum will come to stay and she and he get on well . . . but I am rather miffed!!

Kazz
02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Thats a terrible shame but your Mom wil be a good standby - she's not allergic....is she?

yola
02-08-2008, 07:32 PM
No Karen, not to the cats - she has one of her own. She's often allergic to me though as we frequently don't see eye-to-eye ;)

dandysmom
02-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Sorry to hear she couldn't make it. Leaves you in a real bind now looking for a new au pair....what a pity.

yola
02-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I shan't bother with any more au pairs, Eileen - next year we'll actually employ a summer nanny (funds permitting) for the holiday period; and properly vet the individual so they will be able to fit with our home and our lifestyle.

Out of the 4 au pairs I've had only 1 has really been any good. Between them they've been thieves (the Texan), lazy so-and-sos (the Austrian) and this one - (she categorically told me she was OK with cats); fibbers. Only 1 really made any effort to assimilate into our family . . . not that we've made any of them unwelcome - on the contrary!!!

kado
02-08-2008, 11:05 PM
I hope you get it all sorted out Yola. Im not counting but they go back in 31 days im not counting realy iam not

yola
03-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Yes Jane . . . me neither ;)