PDA

View Full Version : when can you starting flea treatment on your kitten?

Elvisisboss
27-07-2008, 07:23 AM
hiya jsut asking as i dont know if this is just me who seems to weed out these breeders or what! but i went to visit some cats last week and she had 5 week old kittens & 10weeks old & mums/sisters all in the same room & when i picked up the 5 week old ones they had fleas on them :? when i told her she jsut said there to young to be given treatment.

is that right? its kinda bothered me!

Fran
27-07-2008, 09:35 AM
No it's absolutely not right at all!! Kittens can have Frontline spray applied from 2 days of age. So there is absolutely no reason why these kittens should have fleas :roll:

Elvisisboss
27-07-2008, 09:44 AM
hiya no i thought so, i may not be up to date and know lots about cats but i like to think i know the 'basics'

it had 3 fleas on it, i was so shocked i stood there debating whether to speak up, then i said it he she was like oh its normal......to young....... so i put it down & picked up another & it had the same thing i knew it wasnt good. didnt buy one though!! said no there & then!

Fran
27-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Well done for waling away ;)

Trouble is that young kittens with a heavy flea burden can become seriously ill and even die :( If they have fleas then most likely they will have worms too and I guess the breeder thinks they are too young to worm also :roll:

Kazz
27-07-2008, 01:30 PM
What breed of kitten are you looking for????? maybe someone can recommend a breeder by you....

Elvisisboss
27-07-2008, 04:04 PM
hiya ive found one already, But this was for a littler of bengals (before i knew how much work was invold with them) mum was gccf but dad wasnt she had lots & lots to sell as she was moving abroad, other cats aswell.

ive found a siamese that i am getting now, i havent got lots of money because i am not well and cant work so have to go further out or get a cross, would love a birman though, still looking to see if there are any nice breeders who are willing to lower there prices *fingers crossed*

Kazz
27-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Have you considered rehoming......lots of pedigree's ned rehoming I believe from rescue...

Elvisisboss
27-07-2008, 10:32 PM
have looked into it have phoned a few but not really any luck. i really want a kitten though, want to be with it from the start etc! have now decided on a birman not a siamese think birman will be alot more calmer than a sia! maybe ill get another sia in the future! :)

calismum
06-08-2008, 10:35 PM
friend just went to look at 3 week old kittens - all had fleas (mother was a stray) His vet said can't treat for fleas but treated mother and gave spray for room.

Are you sure about the frontline? Should I tell him?

CM

Fran
07-08-2008, 12:20 AM
friend just went to look at 3 week old kittens - all had fleas (mother was a stray) His vet said can't treat for fleas but treated mother and gave spray for room.

Are you sure about the frontline? Should I tell him?

CM

Perfectly sure, Frontline spray is safe to use on kittens from 2 days of age.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Merial_Animal_Health_Ltd/Frontline_Spray/-31502.html

calismum
07-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks v much - I'll let him know

calismum
19-08-2008, 11:29 PM
just quick update - frontline worked a treat. Confusion seemed to be around the spot on rather than the spray.

All babes and mum now flea free.

Thanks Fran