PDA

View Full Version : opinions on shelby?

Tink
27-07-2008, 03:37 AM
can you change the name of a nine year old cat?
i keep thinking of the older cats and the humane society and how their names must change...but i'm not sure.
what's your take?

Soupie
27-07-2008, 09:06 AM
I changed the name of a 13 year old cat ... she wa called Chaucer and it was an awful name for a petite elegant black female so she is now called Portia :D She knows her name NOW and always knows when I am talking to her ;)

smudgley
27-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Personally I wouldn't change an animals name, that's who they are & their identidy, if I have a cat in & it has a name I always keep their name & never change it, regardless of what it is.
However from the cats point of view they probably won't be too bothered so I'm sure you could if you really wanted to.

Elaine
27-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I dont think it matters if you change her name or not, she has absolutely no idea what you are saying anyway;) Cats and animals in general dont address eachother by name, humans are the only animals that use names.

Moli
27-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Murphy is 10, and as we did not know his name, sons, girlfriend named him, I have had him 3 weeks and he responds to Murphy no bother...

angieh
27-07-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't think it would matter to the cat, Tink and if you are happier with another name then change it. But I would try and change to a similar sound perhaps. "Chaucer" and "Portia" could sound quite similar to use Soupie's example. So "Shelby" could become "Elvi" or something similar. You could always try it out and as Elaine says, cats don't use names (or at least, we don't think they do!)

Kazz
27-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Now see I am not sure about that.....I kow it sounds silly but if I said the Sal...where's Oscar...she would go to him same as where's Cleo....the dogs would go to Cleo....I could say to Oz.....where's Cleo and he would potter in that direction....but maybe thats association....but why change her name don't you like it????

dandysmom
27-07-2008, 04:43 PM
They may not know their names exactly, but they do respond to the sound they recognize when you call/speak to them, I think. Patches and Leia were named when I got them; neither was the name I would have chosen, but they did know it, so kept them. I suppose if you did change it she'd learn the new association, as Murphy did ......

ellenlouise
27-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Maybe if you were worried you could just change the name to a similar sounding one e.g. Neo could change to Leo. Only an idea but may help

angieh
27-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Now see I am not sure about that.....I kow it sounds silly but if I said the Sal...where's Oscar...she would go to him same as where's Cleo....the dogs would go to Cleo....I could say to Oz.....where's Cleo and he would potter in that direction....but maybe thats association....but why change her name don't you like it????

You have obviously been owned by very intelligent animals Kazz!

Kazz
27-07-2008, 06:44 PM
They just followed their owner....Angie of course you realised that didn't you?.... it is so obvious. :)

Kay
27-07-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't know why you would want to change her name. I think Shelby is a lovely name.

dandysmom
27-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I like Shelby also; Shelly, Michelle? ?

angieh
27-07-2008, 10:58 PM
They just followed their owner....Angie of course you realised that didn't you?.... it is so obvious. :)

Well of course Kazz! I mentioned what you'd said to my OH - his opinion is that dogs are superior in intelligence to cats and perhaps names mean more to a dog than to a cat. Not sure about that!

Tink
28-07-2008, 02:43 AM
I don't know why you would want to change her name. I think Shelby is a lovely name.

well, it's only because i knew a shelby before and she was not a very nice person...

meep
28-07-2008, 02:36 PM
I would change the name if you don't like it, why have a name for your gorgeous kitty that you associate with bad things?

When we rescued our female cat (who lives at home) she was called Selina - ick! It just didn't suit her, so we renamed her Sophie. I think cats recognised tones of voice as well as sounds, so if you say her name enough in a certain tone she'll associate it with good things like cuddles and treats!

Tink
28-07-2008, 11:29 PM
that's what i was thinking, meep!
plus it's kind of symbolic..new life, new name..kinda like being reborn in a sense?
but maybe i'm partial because i did the same thing when i left my past behind...i moved to a totally new area and changed my name to tink...so maybe that's why i think it's somewhat important because it did help me feel like a fresh start.
i was looking at her medical records her owner dropped off. poor little dear had been with her since she was 12 weeks old and her 10th birthday is in december.
can you imagine? i literally cried for how that must feel.
i'm such a sap. i sometimes think i'm too sympathetic and emotional when it comes to my furkids..LOL.

Tink
28-07-2008, 11:51 PM
you know what? she is answering to "Emily" quite well..i think of course it's my tone of voice..i've always liked the name emma but my OH's mom's dog is named that..and emily has the same ending sound as shelby...do you guys like the name? i'm not totally decided yet but i'm leaning toward it...

dandysmom
29-07-2008, 02:11 AM
I do like Emily; nice name. Give it a try if she seems to be responding to it......

meep
29-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Emily is lovely, very feminine and dainty :) And you could even shorten it to 'Em-y', M&M.... sorry getting carried away there :roll: Yes, I do lik Emily!

That is such a shame for the poor darling to have left her previous owner after 10 whole years, but I'm sure she's going to be ever so happy with yourself :) She may even be with you for longer than 10!