PDA

View Full Version : Agapanthus

Mags
26-07-2008, 03:50 PM
My Agapanthus is just beginning to break into flower ............

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/Garden/DSC06886.jpg

dandysmom
26-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh, that's lovely, Mags! Is that two plants or does it have more than one bloom stalk? Mine just has the one, but this is it's first year......

Moli
26-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Beautiful Mags, mine is just begining to open now, I have 2 stalks too, but then mine is related to yours Mags...;)

dandysmom
26-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Was it an offshoot bulb from Mags then?

Mags
26-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Oh, that's lovely, Mags! Is that two plants or does it have more than one bloom stalk? Mine just has the one, but this is it's first year......

I originally had one tuber that spread quite a bit so I divided it earlier this year into 5 or 6 pieces. These blooms came from two of separate pieces....... and I'm surprised it had done so well after the mutilation I gave it! :lol:

I sent a couple of pieces up to Moli and am pleased to hear she has two blooms also.....can't wait to see them!

dandysmom
26-07-2008, 04:44 PM
You do have a green thumb! I divided my yellow amaryllis this Winter; it had 4 offshoot bulbs crowding the pot; mother plant has bloomed but not the babies yet.......they are outdoors with the others enjoying the lovely weather.

Moli
26-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Was it an offshoot bulb from Mags then?
Mags sent me two huge bits, she chopped hers up, both my bits are growing nicely, one in a pot with 2 stalks and 1peice in the ground that at the moment has just produced a flower stalk...

dandysmom
26-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Do post pics, please!

yola
26-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Is that what it's called??? I've always called it an onion plant :oops: :oops: :oops:

Mine's purple rather than white and was starting to take over the whole garden so I dug it up and potted it and put it in the basement window well. It's doing great despite being neglected and not watered :oops: and is just starting to burst into flower too :D

dandysmom
26-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Is that what it's called??? I've always called it an onion plant :oops: :oops: :oops:

Mine's purple rather than white and was starting to take over the whole garden so I dug it up and potted it and put it in the basement window well. It's doing great despite being neglected and not watered :oops: and is just starting to burst into flower too :D

Do you think yours might be an allium, Yola? They do come in purple and actually are ornamental flowering onions...

http://www.freefoto.com/images/12/55/12_55_2_thumb.jpg?ffid=12-55-2&k=Allium

yola
26-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Yes, that's mine; Allium. I remember MIL mentioning its name. Is it different? Only it looks identical to the white one in terms of the way the buds are forming around the sphere of of the bloom.

dandysmom
26-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Not to go all flower-technical, but both agapanthus and allium flowers are what are called umbels...the blooms all radiate out from a central point, instead of being staggered along a stalk. Sort of like a firework shooting out. They're different genuses, agapanthus come from Africa, and I really don't know where alliums originated :oops:, but they do belong in the onion family. More than you wanted to know? :-D Both are attractive plants......

Mags
27-07-2008, 10:19 AM

It does sound like yours are Alliums, Yola, which are, as Eileen says, ornamental onions. The Agapanthus can grow to a 3ft stem and has a big flower head with lots of star shaped flowers opening.

I bought my tubers in Madeira some years ago.

yola
27-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Mine have at least 3ft stems . . . I'll see if I can manage to get a pic for clarification. And these grow from tubers also . . . they were a nightmare to dig up and split.

angieh
28-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Here's my white agapanthus - seem to be doing very well this year.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Misc/002-1.jpg

It is growing next to a white Japanese anemone which is already coming into flower - early this year I think.

Mags
28-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Your agapanthus is beautiful Angie, it's amazing how many little flower heads are on one bloom.. :D

dandysmom
28-07-2008, 04:22 PM
That's lovely. Angie! My blue one doesn't have that many flowers, but this is its first year.....Japanese anemones usually don't start opening till August here. Chris next door has a beautiful one; must take a pic when it flowers.
Yola, alliums are mustly blue/lilac/purple,/mauve; there is a burgundy variety and a miniature yellow.

angieh
28-07-2008, 04:26 PM
That's lovely. Angie! My blue one doesn't have that many flowers, but this is its first year.....Japanese anemones usually don't start opening till August here. Chris next door has a beautiful one; must take a pic when it flowers.
Yola, alliums are mustly blue/lilac/purple,/mauve; there is a burgundy variety and a miniature yellow.

Thanks Eileen! Yes, that's what I thought about the anemones - very early. Usually late August/early Sept here too.

Swallows lining up on the telephone cables today .... what do they know that we don't? I say they're just practising!

dandysmom
28-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Swallows! Lucky you; I never see them around my neighborhood; they mostly hang out down by the river; they nest under the bridges! I do hope yours aren't telling us something.....

Mags
06-08-2008, 02:23 PM
My agapanthus today, looking a bit sorry for itself after all he rain we've had......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/Garden/DSC06937.jpg

dandysmom
06-08-2008, 04:15 PM
It does look a wee bit bedraggled! My blue one is almost finished; it was really lovely; wish I'd gotten two! They seem to sell out early here; or at least that was my experience last year ......