PDA

View Full Version : bit of a biting/hissing problem?? doesnt she like me??

Elvisisboss
26-07-2008, 02:26 AM
hiya all, im not having much luck really!

had my kitten just over a week now and she did this from the start but it seems to be getting a little worse.

she keeps hissing at me and when i go to pick her up she bites me!? its like play biting and i say 'ow' and put her down but the pass few times shes drawn blood :( and its Really hurts!

i havent done anything different or odd, she comes to me in the mornings when i call her and she purrs, she hardly purss if she sits on my lap though. im getting a little scared to try and pick her up now, shes like backing away, mabe she doesnt like being picked up? :( but i wanted a lap cat!! like my old one, he never acted like this so i dont know what to do?!

is it cos shes still young 9 nearly 10weeks now? she plays alot but the biting is starting to hurt now even if were not playing she bites me! the hissing i really dont like and shell stalk me and run sideways torwards me and stare at me!

is this normal?! last time i had a kitten was 11years ago and he did none of this and lived on my lap and thats what i wanted again :(

thanks any advice would be helpful

Mags
26-07-2008, 09:06 AM
You have only had this kitten a week, hardly enough time for her to to settle in let alone attach herself to you. Everything will still be strange to her, take things slowly, don't keep picking her up yet, let her come to you on her terms, play with her and she will soon get to know you. :)

No cat is ever like the cat you had before so please don't expect this kitten to be a carbon copy of your last cat ..........give her time to show her own little character..:D

Take things slowly.....and enjoy her! :D

Elaine
26-07-2008, 09:36 AM
My Eva was a little like that as a kitten, she is 4 now and still doesnt like being picked up, she complains about it but doesnt bite. She is not a lap cat but some cats just arent, sadly.
I am sure others will be along with some excellent advice but i do think that by sitting on the floor and playing with them helps give them confidence around you. Allow her to come to you at her own pace. Sometimes by sitting on the floor and reading a book, not taking any notice of kitty, they become curious and come to you to explore. Dont make any sudden movements that might give her a fright.

Elvisisboss
26-07-2008, 09:53 PM
hiya thanks, only picked up her once today as she was half way up the curtains!! but she bite my neck & nose!! :(

had lots of purring this morning though when i got up, and she sat on my lap for a bit as i was ignoring her!

i know its only a week! lol she seemed to settle down quite quickly at first, im just trying to think back about my other cat but it was 11years ago so i cant really remember what i did! i know she wont be the same, would love it if she wss though! his a top cat!

random
26-07-2008, 10:14 PM
You need to talk to Lorna Missus!

Just let her settle in, she'll be fine, and most of all, don't worry! ;)

dandysmom
26-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Early days! She'll come around; this is all new and strange to her. Yes, talk to Lorna who's having double trouble with her two, who are mellowing......

angieh
26-07-2008, 11:37 PM
My lovely Smudge didn't like being picked up at all. But she did come and sit by me especially when I was in my study on the computer. She was never a lap cat, but I was lucky in that she never bit or scratched in anger. She was a kind companionable cat but never a cuddly cat.

As others have said, your little one doesn't know you yet. The best thing I can advise is don't make quick moves or sudden ones - keep everything calm and steady. Try sitting on the floor and let her come to you. You've already noticed that she comes to you of her own accord in the morning and purrs at you. If that's how she wants to do it, then let her. The difficulty comes, I do appreciate, when she's doing something you don't want her to, like climbing the curtains and you need to take her off. Biting of neck and nose are not on really. I am not sure how to cure her of that.

Elvisisboss
30-07-2008, 12:55 AM
bit of a update, shes really come out of her shell now! coming to me, getting used to my whistle, i do a certain whisltle, my dad taught me and my other cat is trained to come back to it! she comes to me when i do it & comes out of any hiding place to say hello when i do it! and she now knows 'din dins'! :D

finally found out what cross she is, mum is a bengal x something but they dont know what, maybe a NFC or just a tabby/moggy the person they got her from never really said. and dad is a birman!

shes a little sod climbs Everything have some great photos i will put up! in certain light you can see a marble effect on her fur its very cute! :D

dandysmom
30-07-2008, 02:07 AM
bit of a update, shes really come out of her shell now! coming to me, getting used to my whistle, i do a certain whisltle, my dad taught me and my other cat is trained to come back to it! she comes to me when i do it & comes out of any hiding place to say hello when i do it! and she now knows 'din dins'! :D

finally found out what cross she is,x so mum is a bengal mething but they dont know what, maybe a NFC or just a tabby/moggy the person they got her from never really said. and dad is a birman!

shes a little sod climbs Everything have some great photos i will put up! in certain light you can see a marble effect on her fur its very cute! :D

Aha! I wondered if she had some Bengal in her with those aqua eyes!!!

Elvisisboss
30-07-2008, 02:51 AM
i know! i know black & white cats can have green eyes her hers are like so bright!! my other cats are a deep light green but not half the brightness of hers! :D in certain light you can see a marbled effect on her coat its really nice, wish you could see it all the time though! :D

dandysmom
30-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Have you seen any of the pics of Az's Bengal, Cheetah? Talk about brilliant eyes! Your girl sounds darling; more pics, please!

meep
04-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Glad to hear she's settling in better!

To be honset, none of the cats I've had have been lap cats (maybe my lap isn't comfy?!) And in experience, with friends cats, they'll come and sit on your lap first; they really don't like being placed on a lap.

Ive had my two for 5 weeks now and whilst they were immediately very friendly and didn't hiss or scratch, they're still showing signs of getting more and more comfotable. They were always very happy from day 1 but didn't star purring without food around until week 2. Stravinsky didn't meow much at all up until a week ago and now he won't blinking be quiet! (:lol:) And only recently has Darcy started doing that adorable thing cats do when they meow / purr and run at the same time, so they make a little "mr-mr-mr-mrrr" as they run (so cute!) As she's a kitten, she'll be a bit more unsure of herself too.

It may be that she's just not a lap cat, but my advice would be let her come to you in her own time. It sounds like she's a right wee character and I'm certain she'll settle in and be all purrs with you eventually, but she'll just take time. :)

Moli
04-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Out of 5 cats I have 2 who liked to be picked up, the others come for cuddles when they want to.....will sit beside me, but its on their terms.....