PDA

View Full Version : Overactive thyroid and vidalta.

farthing
23-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi, I've got 3 cats with an overactive thyroid. Smudge and Spice have both stabilised and are staying consistant, but Samson's thyroid levels keep wandering all over the place.
Smudge, Spice and Samson were all on felimazole, but we've now put Samon onto vidalta to see if this will control his levels better. Its not that he is hard to give a tablet to, in fact he is the easiest animal in the house to treat, and unless he throws up when he is outside, I can't understand it (and he's never sick in the house). If the vidalta doesn't work, the next step is the op, and I'm a bit worried about putting him through such a risky op at his age- he's over 13.
Has anybody else tried vidalta, or had this problem with a cat who won't stabilise?

angieh
23-07-2008, 10:59 PM
So sorry farthing - no knowledge of this. I had to have my poor Smudge pts nearly 3 years ago because she had an untreated overactive thyroid. I just didn't see the signs and by the time we took her to the vet it was too late and although they drained her lungs twice, she didn't have the strength to recover. She was 19. I feel very bad that I didn't notice that she was ill.

Do hope someone comes along who has knowledge of problems similar to those you are having with Samson.

farthing
23-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi Angieh, you shouldn't feel bad about missing an overactive thyroid. It is an old cat disease and I always expect old animals to become thin and a bit dissatisfied anyway, which is similar to the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
19 is a really good age for a cat, so be proud she got to that age, and enjoy the memories.

angieh
24-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for your kind words farthing. Hope you manage to get some further info to help your Samson.