PDA

View Full Version : shelby

Tink
23-07-2008, 06:30 AM
well, i think some things happen for a reason. i didn't get the eleven year old but i am getting this little girl...her name is shelby and she is nine years old..now i am going to have TWO torties in the house..what am i thinking?:lol:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/darkpixietink/shelby.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/darkpixietink/shelby2.jpg

the couple has a three year old and a baby. ever since the first child was born she has not been happy. they gave it three years for her to turn around but now with the new baby she is even more unhappy.
i don't have her yet as the owners are going to bring her to the vet for her annual vaccinations for me. she hates the car and vet so we'll give her a day or two to recover from that so she doesn't at least associate the vet visit with me!
i have a whole plan of how i am going to slowly introduce her to everyone so she is not overwhelmed..think i'll keep her by herself at first and spend time giving her her favorite treats.
don't know what day yet, they are going to get back to me when the vet has an opening available, going to call first thing in the morning then let me know.
i'm excited!:D

Mags
23-07-2008, 11:06 AM
She's lovely Tink.....and another tortie too!:D

Hope she comes to you soon!:D

HappyKatz
23-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Shelby is so beautiful! Torties are great :cat10
She is very lucky to have a home with you both :smt049

Grete
23-07-2008, 02:19 PM
She's lovely Tink :) You are so amazing for opening your heart up to so many babies in need, and do a great job with them too :)

*hugs*

Tink
23-07-2008, 09:10 PM
thanx, apparently she's not "typical" because she is very lovey and cuddly..(bonus for me :-))

oh, and i am NOT going to be getting anymore animals for quite awhile after this..i think i've finally reached my limit..LOL.

Grete
23-07-2008, 10:44 PM
oh, and i am NOT going to be getting anymore animals for quite awhile after this..i think i've finally reached my limit..LOL.

Uh-huh :-D :lol: ;) :-D

Tink
23-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Uh-huh :-D :lol: ;) :-D

famous last words, right?:lol: :-D

Tink
25-07-2008, 03:41 AM
update!
shelby is coming home sunday night at 8pm (they are dropping her off)!!!!

Grete
25-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Yay!! Not long to go then :)

Mags
25-07-2008, 12:26 PM
How exciting for you Tink! :D

angieh
25-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Keep us posted Tink!

Tink
27-07-2008, 06:58 AM
less than 24 hours and she will be mine......:D :D :D

Mags
27-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Today's the day!! :-D

dandysmom
27-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Can hardly wait to see Shelby! Another lovely brindled tortie; I do love them; she reminds me of Patches...may she live as long and happily!

ellenlouise
27-07-2008, 04:52 PM
What fantastic news. Great to hear! Can't wait to see how she settles in.

Tink
28-07-2008, 02:44 AM
two hours and counting..can you tell i'm excited? LOL...

Tink
28-07-2008, 07:42 AM
well, she's here! i felt really bad as the owner cried while saying goodbye but she said she really thought it was for the best.
shelby is understandably a little unimpressed and confused. i have her in the "nursery" by herself tonight. i set up her litterbox and food from her old home. as soon as i opened the can all shyness was over. but after that she of course is a bit undecided, actually better than i expected since i would imagine it'd be quite scary. i laid down and read beside her...then talked to her so she'd get used to my voice. she's already had some moments where she came to me and sat beside me but didn't stay long and tolerated some petting as well. but then batted a paw as if to say "okay, lady, that's enough, i've had a hard night" so of course i backed off and went back to reading. also absentmindedly pet her when her back was facing me and she hissed (oops!)..but then i got some good smells and a little bit of stares and interest so i think that's a really good start for only being here a few hours..lots of potential this little one has (actually little might not be the right term, she's 14 lbs...LOL!).
anyway, just thought i'd update you on the progress..i'm thinking of sleeping in there with her tonight just so she'd get used to me being around..not sure what the OH would think of that though. i foresee some eye rolling on that end :-)

Mags
28-07-2008, 09:14 AM
It's bound to be very strange to her at the moment Tink, she can't understand what has happened.

You are doing right by taking things slowly with her, she'll come to you under her own terms when she's ready.:D

angieh
28-07-2008, 10:58 AM
You are so experienced in settling animals in Tink - she'll come round in her own time. Sounds as if you might have to put her on a bit of a diet?

dandysmom
28-07-2008, 04:08 PM
well, she's here! i felt really bad as the owner cried while saying goodbye but she said she really thought it was for the best.
shelby is understandably a little unimpressed and confused. i have her in the "nursery" by herself tonight. i set up her litterbox and food from her old home. as soon as i opened the can all shyness was over. but after that she of course is a bit undecided, actually better than i expected since i would imagine it'd be quite scary. i laid down and read beside her...then talked to her so she'd get used to my voice. she's already had some moments where she came to me and sat beside me but didn't stay long and tolerated some petting as well. but then batted a paw as if to say "okay, lady, that's enough, i've had a hard night" so of course i backed off and went back to reading. also absentmindedly pet her when her back was facing me and she hissed (oops!)..but then i got some good smells and a little bit of stares and interest so i think that's a really good start for only being here a few hours..lots of potential this little one has (actually little might not be the right term, she's 14 lbs...LOL!).
anyway, just thought i'd update you on the progress..i'm thinking of sleeping in there with her tonight just so she'd get used to me being around..not sure what the OH would think of that though. i foresee some eye rolling on that end :-)

A big girl; that's what Leia weighs! She sounds like a darling; looking forward to pics when she's more settled, bless her!

Tink
28-07-2008, 11:14 PM
You are so experienced in settling animals in Tink - she'll come round in her own time. Sounds as if you might have to put her on a bit of a diet?

yep, once she's settled i'm gonna try to do that. just wanna keep something familiar for the time being..but yes, i think she should lose weight..well, so should i but that's beside the point..LOL

Tink
28-07-2008, 11:24 PM
update two:
well i had thought she'd want to hide in the sanctuary of the nursery. i brought the ferrets in there for bedtime (they free roam all day then retire to the safety of their cage for bed). i thought she wouldn't mind much since they couldn't get out but she hid then came out, sat in front of it, and hissed three times in a row..it was hysterical!
she spent the evening on the windowsill looking out to the backyard..when i came in, she popped out, rubbed against my legs and rubbed against my hands for petting..yet alternated the rubbing with hisses intermittently, hiss and love, hiss and love! i have to say that's the first time i've seen that! she's obviously undecided...again, i had to giggle.
i was going to leave her as i had kuan yin and tigger in the living room for morning ferret playtime...well, she wouldn't stand for it! she was READY to get out of that darned room! i looked at her as if to say "don't say i didn't tell you so, kid" and opened the door without blocking her way.
to my surprise, kuan yin did not attack or engage with her. she sat wide eyed and watched from a distance as shelby explored. tigger didn't notice and laid in the sun for his nap. baby bear (my deaf ferret) was intrigued and tried to approach her numerous times. she hissed and spat and pounded her declawed paws at him in a stomping manner. he got the point after a few minutes and let her be and she sat behind the fireplace. then proceeded down the hall toward the bedroom!
so, as she didn't wanna be in the nursery and was fed up with the living room, i let her in.
my ferrets take their afternoon nap in here so after about an hour to herself i let them in and figured i'd let her out if she wanted.
she was hiding under the bed like i suspected. only problem: that is where the ferrets like to nap. i heard hisses and pounding of paws then all settled as each made their way to their own corners.
and it's only the afternoon!
i had planned to do this more slowly but in a way it turned out jumping right in..
she's lovey but wow, i do see the tortitude.
it's nice though..i was expecting her to be more skittish like tigger and cuddles were..it's good to know she can stand up for herself.
i'm still shocked kuan yin almost seemed scared. it's like she knew she was a tortie and wouldn't put up with it..LOL. we'll see what happens...it's only afternoon.
tink

Mags
28-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Sounds like fun and games in your house at the moment, Tink!:lol:

I hope she soon settles in to your happy little family!:D

Tink
28-07-2008, 11:33 PM
i hope so too, mags. though i wouldn't be surprised if it took a week or two to see some progress. heck, tigger and cuddles took a few months to decide where their comfort levels were in this house completely.
i'm basing this on the fact her owner said that when she had visitors she'd hide for a day, then come out of her shell. but she also said when dogs visited she'd do the same. apparently she lived with another cat till she was seven and then he passed. so then add the fact she may have her nose out of joint she's not the only cat again...that's a lot of things to process. but i will be patient. i can't blame the sweet thing.
ooh, guess who just jumped on my bed? :-)

dandysmom
28-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Oh Tink you tell the story so well...I can just see what's happening in your house! Shelby does sound like a typical tortie. bless her...not gonna take any guff from anyone! I'm amazed and so pleased it's gone so well so far. "Tune in tomorrow for the latest installment..."...

Tink
28-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Oh Tink you tell the story so well...I can just see what's happening in your house! Shelby does sound like a typical tortie. bless her...not gonna take any guff from anyone! I'm amazed and so pleased it's gone so well so far. "Tune in tomorrow for the latest installment..."...

hee, hee..thanx for listening. if i give my OH the play by play when he gets off work tonight his eyes will glaze over as he flips the channels on the tv and drinks his beer..he's used to me blabbing on about the kids daily antics..so it's nice to talk to people who are actually interested!:D

Grete
29-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Lol sounds like she is finding her 'paws' straight away ;) How sad she was declawed tho :( She's so lucky to have found you!

Please update as much as you like, I love reading about them all!

*hugs*