PDA

View Full Version : Indoor or outdoor cats?

Lorna
21-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I have obviously only just got the kittens so this won't be an issue for a while, but I am thinking about keeping them as indoor cats - I have already lost one cat to an RTA, I can't bear to lose another. Also I am studying Law at Uni and there might be a point where I have to move to the city, surely it will be better for them to be indoor cats from the start, then they will not miss anything if we don't have a garden at any point?

Will that make me a bad mum? xxx

kado
21-07-2008, 10:31 PM
No it wont. I would prefare all of mine to be indoors as i panick when there out. I understand if they never go out they wont know what it is like to go out. I have lost my darling kay in may this year too a RTA so you do worry more.

angieh
21-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I don't think it will make you a bad mum, Lorna. It is very much a matter of how you see the best for your kitties. If they have never been outside and have plenty of opportunity for play, exploring and exercise indoors then they will know no differently, especially if you think you may eventually have to move into the city. If the kittens, when older, are used to going outside then a change like that would be very hard for them I would think.

I haven't voted in your poll only because my Merlin is 22 years old this week. He can go out whenever he wants to, but does not have to go out - he has an indoor litter tray. On a kind sunny day, he may wander out to read his pmails and to nibble a bit of grass, but not often and certainly not if the weather is wet or cold. When he was younger though, he was out a lot, but not as much as my other cat Smudge who loved to be out, day or night. She was in her element outside and Merlin has always been more of a home body.

Your kittens are young enough for you to think about training them to a harness, so that they could go out if you choose to take them. There are plenty of people here on Catsey who have experience of walking their cats! If I ever have another, I would certainly like to give that a go.

random
21-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Mine are indoor only Lorna, one goes out on a harness. I intend (when I finally move) to have my new garden cat proofed and/or build an outdoor run attached to the house so as they can go into the garden.

The reasons for this are my own personal reasons really due to incidents which have made me reach this decision. First incident I lost one of my babies in which I assume was an RTA, I found her at the side of a back alley at the back of our house dead, almost unrecognisable by her face, it was truly dreadful and something I will never really get over. Even after this I still thought road accidents happen, it is a dead end road and the only vehicles which use it are those which deliver to the shops early morning, so I decided to make sure the cats were always in before 11pm and never let out 'til the deliveries had been.

The second, my old girl went missing and I found what I suspect was a clump of her fur and I still to this day do not know what happened to her, she was never found, although after what happened to my sister's cat I now have my suspicions although I sincerely hope not.

And the last straw was when some poor excuse for a human being set his dog (purposely) onto my sister's cat, she died in my arms in the vet car park just before we got her in to the emergency vet.

The thing that did it for me was the sick b*****rd who killed Jennie for kicks, I am not prepared to have my cats out anywhere which I don't EXACTLY where they are at any given time. Some people say it is cruel and I am selfish e.t.c. but tbh, I really couldn't care less anymore, the cats are just fine and as happy as they ever were when they were allowed out freely, they have plenty of toys and climbing frames and of course me, the dogs and each other for entertainment and they get on just fine as they are now.

If you make the choice to have them as indoor only cats then yes, it would be best and easier for the cats to never know a life outside, with those of mine who I had to convert to indoor cats I had to do it gradually and I still take Tucker out on his harness. Kiara rarely used to go out anyway and Vitaani couldn't care less to be out on her harness or not but Tucker adores it so I do still take him out regularly on it. Princess and Colin have been indoor only from day 1 and hate it if I even carry them outside in my arms, as does Kiara now.

It is totally your choice and my opinion is don't let anyone tell you that you are being cruel or anything as they will be just as happy indoors as long as they are kept occupied and have things to do and full run of the house to explore and there is always the option of training them on a harness too. You will come across people who believe a cat should be put out all day (or even all night!) and if something happens then that's just life, but that's not my personal point of view. JMO.

candyshandy
21-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Why don't you get the garden cat-proofed and then they can go out and be safe. I've had my garden done but my lot are only allowed out when I'm at home and the sun is shining - the thought of muddy persians just scares me!! ;)

Jac
21-07-2008, 10:40 PM
I live on a very busy main road. No way would my kittys go outside. I have my own front garden which I hope to cat proof at some point but until then a most def indoor only.
In saying that I used to live in a safe place (for cats) and mine got out, only they decided to go no further than there own garden:roll:

dandysmom
21-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Leia, my present cat is indoor only by her choice: for some reason she's scared of outdoors, so I have never tried to harness train her as all my previous cats were. I live in the City on a heavily trafficed street and only two blocks from the woods where there are foxes, raccoons and opossums. Harness walking is a good way to let them enjoy the sights and smells of outdoors without the dangers. Plus it's a bonding thing with them. Although expect very strange looks sometimes from people who see you walking a cat along the street! If you're not contemplating harness training then I'd suggest that they will be perfectly content being indoor cats as long as they have things to stimulate and amuse them. It is not cruel, it's simply sensible in this day and age; of heavy traffic, loose running dogs and sadistic people; they will not miss what they've never experienced, and will lead a longer safer life.

Lorna
21-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys makes me feel better! the opportunities for me to practice Law are much broader in the city, and I think it would be cruel to let them see the outdoor world and then take it away from them, but I cannot bear the thought of anything happening to them. This isn't a busy road per se, but there are cars parked all along and on 3 occasions this week I have had to slam my brakes on because cats have run out from under the cars in the morning, I would be devastated if anything happened to them. My next door neighbours at my old house had 2 Maine Coons and they didn't go out as they didn't want them to be stolen, I feel the same I'd break my heart if anything happened to them xx

dandysmom
21-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks guys makes me feel better! the opportunities for me to practice Law are much broader in the city, and I think it would be cruel to let them see the outdoor world and then take it away from them, but I cannot bear the thought of anything happening to them. This isn't a busy road per se, but there are cars parked all along and on 3 occasions this week I have had to slam my brakes on because cats have run out from under the cars in the morning, I would be devastated if anything happened to them. My next door neighbours at my old house had 2 Maine Coons and they didn't go out as they didn't want them to be stolen, I feel the same I'd break my heart if anything happened to them xx

It only takes a second! A dear friend of mine lost two cats to RTAs right here on my street because she didn't believe in keeping them indoors....

Lorna
21-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Absolutely dandysmom I agree 100%, its only because I look all the time! Tigger my ex's cat went out one day and never came home I was devastated. I would rather know where my babies were, and silly as it sounds, but I'd never let my dog out alone!

Grete
21-07-2008, 11:41 PM
I don't think it's cruel or silly at all. Bubbles and Fizz do go out but I don't/won't have a cat flap so I know when they are in or out, they never stay out all night (I wouldn't be able to sleep for worry). Most of the time they are only out when we are in so I can keep an eye on them and the rare time they are out when we are out is because the little madams wouldn't come in :) And then I worry all the time :)

Cats are perfectly happy staying indoors but they do need the extra exercise of playing etc. There are several options for a run / cat proofed area as well if you think they would benefit from being outside.

Luke
21-07-2008, 11:52 PM
It's a personal choice.
Mine come and go as they please, houseules are in by 11 but with the warm nights i'm finding myself leaving the porch window open to let everyone come and go as they please. We live in a quiet cul-de-sac on the edge of the city, we stem off and are close to quite a main road, but the cats tend to stick to the fields, disused council storage buidling and quiet little backstreets to the back of us. Yes i guess they are at risk of being in an RTA but urban cats do gain roadsense, i've seen my oldgirl look both directions before crossing a VERY busy road-nearly had a heart attack in the process. As harsh as it sounds I'd prefer mine to have a naturaler life regardless of its length, the old quality not quantity thing with me. That said I expect mine to get well into their twenties:wink:
It really is down to the individual. I've lost one outgoing cat to going walkabouts, it broke my heart. But it doesn't make me want to deprive mine of going out, but that's just my opinion:)

Lorna
22-07-2008, 12:09 AM
I understand that they may enjoy it, but if I have to live in the city, they will be far better off not knowing whats out there I think x

Jac
22-07-2008, 12:39 AM
I understand that they may enjoy it, but if I have to live in the city, they will be far better off not knowing whats out there I think x

I think that is a wise choice. What they dont know, they dont miss
Jac x

Lorna
22-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks Jac, I'm inclined to agree! xx

Jac
22-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Go with your gut istinc, No one else can. I'm sure you will do the right thing by your babies.
I dont agree with taking a cat out on a harness. For what it's worth, I think it's like a tease/ But that's just my oppinion

smudgley
22-07-2008, 08:41 AM
I have 3 cats.

Bluebell - goes out at 5am and stays out until it gets dark.

Smudge - out all night & in all day

Emily - in all day & night (we do put her out for fresh air but she soon comes back in)

All 3 are females, all spayed, all do what they like. The only rule is that Bluebell has to be in before dark.

Kay
22-07-2008, 10:08 AM
In my opinion you are a brilliant mum for considering this issue while they are still babies. All 13 of mine are indoor only cats and are perfectly healthy, happy, well adjusted cats. Just make sure they have plenty of toys and playtime with you.

Kazz
22-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I lost Archie to a rad traffic accident on a quiet no through road...so it does not matter what type of road as such as cats and cars do not mix well ....and if you think you are destined to move to a big city its better to keep them in. Then what they do not know they will not miss. When you are settled things may change but better safe than sorry.
The joy of two cats is they are built in playmates and entertainment for each other when young.

My Oscar and Cleo have always been indoor/outdoor.
Cleo would go out but not to bothered either way although she did potter to the back/front garden and follow the sun in summer. She would have been happy being an indoor only cat I think.
Oscar was an outdoor adventurer......but equally happy indoors (especialy as he got older) but he was a roamer when young, especially nights....also had a cat flap and found I could hear them coming and going with the flap swishing closed. But we hardly had any feline inturers through it as the dogs were on guard. ;)

Another thought catflaps - do tend to bring other cats into your cats home which in itself can cause major trouble for your own cats sense of well being.

Lorna
22-07-2008, 06:33 PM
I think you're right, I'm glad that I am not crazy for worrying about this so early on, when I should be concentrating on the fact that I terrify the boys for some reason!!!!

But I think they will do fine together, they never leave each other alone and they sleep all huggled too, they like to play together in the evenings and I'm guessing they play when I'm not here as their toys are all always in different places!!!!

I just want to look after them so much!

borderdawn
22-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Mine are indoor, but can go outside as the garden has inverted fencing and they cant get out. I also have a pen they (youngsters) can stay in for longer periods (few hours) in safety if need be, and they are always in it by choice anyway!

babycakes
22-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Mine is indoor only allowed out on a harness too

borderdawn
22-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I dont personally think I could ever confine a Cat indoors all its life. A dog may be different, but I couldnt do it to a Cat.

Tanya
23-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Oli is an indoor cat but likes to walk around the garden when I am out there. He also goes for walks on his harness. I would never let him out by himself. He is my baby! ;)

pinklizzy
23-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Imogen is an indoor cat as we live in a flat above the practice without a garden. If we did have a garden though, she would only go out if it was fully cat-proofed (that's the long term plan-to move to a property where she can have safe access to the outside world)
In my job I've seen first hand the horrific injuries caused to cats by cars and short of living in an area without any roads :roll: I don't think I could cope with having a cat that is able to roam. Obviously Imogen has been used to this from the day we brought her home and she seems fairly well-adjusted! :-D

Lorna
23-07-2008, 07:31 PM
The thought of something happening to either of mine would break my heart, I think they will definitely be better off as always being indoor cats - that way they won't miss it if I have to move to London! They have each other for company and they will always have plenty of toys to play with and things to climb :-) xx

HappyKatz
23-07-2008, 07:44 PM
We built our kitties their own play area outside. Their area has really tall fences. We wanted to give them a place where they could still enjoy the outside but where we know they are completely safe. Thats where we get the best kitty photos too! :cat27

They love it very much :cat10 They always meow at us to go out...little cuties! :smt049

Steph
23-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I`ve had the whole range and always catflaps. But they always prefered to be in at night-who wouldn`t with free food and cuddles?

Lorna
23-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Lol true very very true!

charliebubs
24-07-2008, 09:48 AM
My furbabes are indoor only too - but the same as Dawn, I have a cat-proofed garden with the inverted fencing, so they can safely go outside and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine :)

I personally feel that this gives them the best of both worlds. I wouldn't want them to be totally indoor only, as they'd miss out on chasing butterflys and laying in the sun etc etc ;)

yola
24-07-2008, 10:38 AM
I have 3 persians, the first older two were indoor only with careful supervised garden access for many years. When they go out now, they sit only in our garden or might mooch into next door's. Never further.

Myshka, my new addition :D is only a year old and I suspect quite used to going out. It's so very difficult to keep him in as he gets quite upset if he's shut in, and despite weeks of trying he really wasn't accepting beign harnessed. It's also extremely difficult, due to having two small boys to control the opening and closing of doors to ensure Mysh stays in. It was the same with Darcy.

So consequently Darcy did, and Myshka has far more freedom that I'm comfortable with. Darcy died suddenly in the house. It was not an RTA, but I can't say for sure there wasn't something suspect. However I do think it was natural causes . . . actually my greater fear is one of theft or some human-inflicted injury/damage.

I

PoshPuss
24-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Posh stayed indoors most of the winter. She strayed into us in November and never looked to go back out. Then in May she started to cry to go out, just on the patio and with supervision, my heart was in my mouth when we thought we'd lost her but she's hidden herself. Lately she's taken to wandering into next door's garden to lie in the grass. She won't wander too far but we always watch out and call for her after about 10 mins then she's indoors.
I can't close the doors all the time it gets stifling in here, soif she wanders out I'm a bit nervous but she has never gone too far. She's chipped and collared but I don't want to take the chance of losing her, it would break my heart.
She's been straying before and she may take it in her head to go again, I just hope she needs us as much as we love her :)

Rosie
24-07-2008, 02:51 PM
It is a matter of personal choice but I would only get a cat where I could let it out. My two have free run day and night and especially in this weather thorough enjoy themselves, although to the cost of small rodent life!

The neighbour's cat is an indoor cat who just sits and watches my two and I feel really sorry for it.

Obviously there must be some risk with an outdoor cat but I would prefer that they had a few shorter years and enjoyed them to the full although it has to be said most of my outdoor cats have lived long happy lives.

angieh
24-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I have now voted in the poll, because I was curious to see the results! I put "indoors most of the time" but that's really because Merlin does not wish to go out because of his age. He prefers to sit on the mat in the sunshine inside the open door!

I really do appreciate the reasons of those who prefer to have indoor only cats - some of those reasons are obviously practical ones and others are due to worry for their beloved friends. Personally, I am one of those who would rather their cat had as "natural" a life as possible, rather like Rosie's post above, and have the freedom to come and go as they choose. I live in a semi-rural area, there are many neighbours cats who come and go through my garden - most of them are friends of mine (though not necessarily friends of Merlin!) - we would probably have quite a problem with rats and mice if it weren't for our feline security squad and after all, that was the very reason we invited cats into our homes at the dawn of civilisation!

dandysmom
24-07-2008, 04:19 PM
It's definitely a personal choice, and no right or wrong; just what you are comfortable with and how risk-tolerant you are. I'm happy with my decision of indoor only and outside on a harness.

Steph
24-07-2008, 05:30 PM
All of my cats have had freedom to roam,but only Conker went far away from the garden or back yard when we lived in Leeds.

He was a right monkey-we rescued him as kitten from a horse chestnut tree-hence his name.

When we lived in Leeds he would casually walk in front of the traffic to go to my allotments and then sleep under my cloches. He survived all that. When we moved here he was not content with a quarter acre garden-oh no-almost a mile treck to the quarry where rabbits(presents) could be found and brought back for us to enjoy.

He got away with it for six years-I never did find his body

Lorna
24-07-2008, 10:08 PM
I feel bad thinking the kittens will miss out on things, but then I think about the possibility of the alternative, I would be heartbroken if something happened to either of them... xx

Darky
26-07-2008, 03:05 PM
I think it's all down to owner, cat and the location.

My cats are outdoorsy types. Spike would be miserable without being able to go outdoors, whilst Honey will probably at some point have to be indoors-only when I move out because I am too paranoid to risk a car collision in a busier location.

I definitely think that it is possible for owners of indoors-only cats to be able to make up for that lack of sensory stimulation that cats get outside, in a variety of ways.

My personal dream is to have a totally cat-proofed garden.

Lorna
27-07-2008, 11:42 AM
The kittens have each other at the moment and a tonne of toys which they seem to like.....I'm going to buy one of those indoor tree type things next week as I think that will be nice for them! x