PDA

View Full Version : Help! Tonk behaving dementedly, I'm so worried.

ILoveMyTonk
20-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I am so worried, I am hoping someone on here may have some experience of this and be able to advise.

I have a four year old male tonkinese who is the apple of my eye. He is a house cat, but goes in the back garden daily under supervision. He is usually a very placid, happy go lucky chap.

When I came home on Thurday night he came running down the stairs shouting at me very angrily but didn't give me all the usualy head bumps and kisses. He then started to swat at things that weren't there and busy himself with washing his fur, stopping every now and then to bat at imaginary objects. He was very grumpy and distant. After a while of me neurotically checking him all over for any sign of aliment he went and sat under the bed, something he never does.

I rang the vet and she said he had probably been bitten by something and was having a reaction, and that if he started foaming from the mouth to get back in contact with her.

After a sleepless night for me my little chap seemed to be a little better on Friday morning and I went off to work.

On Friday evening he was back to his normal self.

He has not been off his food.

This morning (Sunday) it has started all over again, and he is distant, angry, not really noticing we are there, swiping at specks on the wall or carpet and washing a bit too obcessively again.

I can see no sign of fleas, he has never behaved like this, nor has any other cat I have had.

What on earth could it be, I am so worried by his strange behaviour.

Rach

Moli
20-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Have no idea what could cause the behaviour, but I would get him vet checked asap...

Mags
20-07-2008, 08:08 PM
That is strange behaviour and I agree with Moli, get him checked out by the vet as soon as possible...

dandysmom
20-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Definitely a vet visit! That's worrying. Could he have nibbled on any plants in the garden that might have a neurological effect,,,sounds as if he might be tripping.....

webblies
21-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I can imagine how worried you must be.

Like Dandysmom, I wondered if he had chewed a plant in the garden. Also have you any plants in the house. Some, like Poinsettas are poisonous to cats. Also have you changed anything in the house. Soft furnishings, detergents fabric conditioner etc.

The excessive cleaning can be a sign that a cat is stressed and trying to reassure itself by respreading it's own smell on its self.

I would get him to the vets to be on the safe side.

Let us know how he gets on.

Webblies

dandysmom
21-07-2008, 08:56 PM
How is he today?