PDA

View Full Version : Kittens hissing....

Lorna
20-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I went to get my new kittens today and they're stunning, but I can't understand why they hiss when I go near them? I've tried to feed them a little bit and give them water, the larger one had some food, but the black didn't, and neither have had water or used the tray, they've been in their bed since I put them there earlier after I'd shown them round?

What can I do to make sure that the aren't always scared of me? And how can i make sure they get some food and some water? I'm worried they just don't like me?

I don't think they've been handled a lot before, it was obviously an accidental litter....

Any advice, greatly appreciated.....

Moli
20-07-2008, 07:34 PM
They just need time, as they will feel strange to begin with, I would just let them come to you when they are ready....

Elaine
20-07-2008, 07:38 PM
One of the best things you can do is to sit on the floor quietly, read a book or a magazine, and let them come to you. Cats and kittens are quite curious creatures and will come and explore you. Just dont make any fast moves.
Its very early days, and they will ofcourse be unsettled, give them time;)

Lorna
20-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Ok thanks guys xx

random
20-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Ok hun sounds like they haven't been handled very much but don't despair, I have had a couple come from dodgy beginnings who have turned out just fine!

What I would suggest is putting their bed, food and litter tray all in one room and restrict them to this room to begin with. Put some food in 2 wee bowls for them (one each) and some water and just leave them to it. They will eat when they are hungry. For the first few days just leave them be and as hard as it is just let them get used to their new surrounding without making too much of a fuss over them, when they come out of hiding (and they will) just let them be and they will get braver and braver by the day. Some take longer than others but mark my words, in a couple of weeks time they will be causing all sorts of mischief! Just make sure the room is safe for them and that they can't get tangled or trapped in anything when you are not there and you're set!

All the best with them Lorna. x

Lorna
20-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks Kel, makes me feel better, I just want them to be happy in our home! xx

Mags
20-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Just imagine if you went to stay in a different house with nobody you knew........it would feel very strange to you too and it would take you some time to get used to it. It is similar for the kittens, Lorna, they have been taken away from their mum and are in surrounding they are not familiar with. They have only just met you and are still on their guard...... they need time to settle in peacefully.

As Random so rightly said, restrict them to one room at first, sit on the floor with them and don't overfuss them at this stage ......... before you know it they will be running everywhere.....worktops, curtains and all! :lol:

random
20-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks Kel, makes me feel better, I just want them to be happy in our home! xx

They will be Lorna, they just need to settle, my Siamese took the longest - about 2 weeks and she was the only one to come from a 'proper' breeder who knew what they were doing!

I think with always having dogs it's sometimes difficult to adjust that kittens need a very different approach when they come home as babies as with pups they just want to snuggle up with you from day one but they will come round soon enough hun and you will see their characters start to show.

Lorna
20-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys you're right I know, I trust you all :D

xxxx

Lorna
20-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Choco is in the bed, but the other, who I haven't yet named is out and about and meowing?

Mags
20-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Is he within reach of a litter tray Lorna?

Has he eaten anything yet?

Lorna
20-07-2008, 08:52 PM
They've eaten a little bit, no drink though :( and they are behind the arm chair not near the litter tray now. They're together and quiet....I'll be going to bed in an hour, will put them near the litter tray in their bed and by water and a little more food.... they might come out with me not there?

Kazz
20-07-2008, 09:05 PM
They will be fine they just need to settle and get their bearings...they are kittens and you will be surpirsed how quickly they settle....ina week or so you will have almost forgotten how concerned you are now in a month you'll only thinkof it if someone mentions it and in a year you'll swear yours settled in fine no trouble............. :)

Slowly slowly catchie kittens hearts..............:)

Lorna
20-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks Kazz!

They're eating biscuits I can hear them!

xxxx

dandysmom
20-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I can't add a word to the already excellent advice above. Don't despair, it's all new and strange to them; they'll come to trust and love you and be into everything!

Lorna
20-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks hun they're out and about but still not interested in me.... I'm sure it will come! xx

angieh
20-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Take it slowly - they're missing their mum. You could try and give them something that belongs to you, say an old T-shirt or a teddy bear, something with your scent on it and put in the room - not in their bed or near it, just somewhere they can investigate and get used to your "smell" while you're not there.

Do you know how old they are?

Mags
20-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Take it slowly - they're missing their mum. You could try and give them something that belongs to you, say an old T-shirt or a teddy bear, something with your scent on it and put in the room - not in their bed or near it, just somewhere they can investigate and get used to your "smell" while you're not there.

Do you know how old they are?

I'm sure Lorna said they were 10 weeks Angie :D

angieh
20-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Right ho - must have missed that somewhere ... sorry.

Lorna
20-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Hey, they are 10 weeks, i've put my t shirt in there, they're in the kitchen, I just put them both in the litter tray but neither used it. They've had some food and a little drink, but they still hissed when I went ot pick them up, but they did let me have little cuddles before I carried them to the kitchen!

I hope they will come round I want really cuddly cats!!!!

random
20-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Who wants to put bets on Lorna in 2 weeks wishing they were shy again? :cat10

Lorna over the years I have had 13 kittens (God I hope I haven't missed anyone out!) and every single one was shy at first, and 11 out of 13 turned out to be really cuddly, fussy cats and the 2 who weren't would/will still come for cuddles on their terms when all was quiet. Even the ones who were born here were shy, infact my shyest cat out of my lot is Princess and she was born here, amongst the dogs, who she hates!

The quickest to settle was Anakin and he took a matter of days yet as I said, Kiara was the slowest - about 2 weeks. She would hide anywhere she would fit, I spent many an hour searching for her! :shock:

The way they are now is of no relevance at all to their future personalities so don't worry! The more you fuss over them though the less likely they are to come out on their own accord, I know it's hard as you just want to pick them up and cuddle them but it just takes a wee while for them to settle in and then they will be biting and clawing your hands off every time you try to cuddle them and that's the fun stage! :-D

You will see big changes in them day by day, stop worrying woman!

Lorna
20-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Lol you know me Kel, I like to worry!

I just went in to give them some more food, so at least they're eating! I'm also very glad that I had the two together, I think it would be a much slower process if they were seperated, they love each other!

How many cats do you have now then Kel? xx

sgw1988
21-07-2008, 08:04 PM
when i got my two at 8 weeks old they were similar to start with, especially one more than the other, i'm so glad we got them both because of this. now the more nervous one when we got them is madder than her sister!
it took a while to get the to eat but just keep showing them where their food is, at first they would just pick at their food now they cant get enough!
they didnt go to the loo for a couple of days but once they started eating abit more that changed.
now they are just mad kittens, playing, running about everywhere not a minutes peace, prob not too soon till yours are like that!! :)
as well they weren't cuddly to start with but now they cant get enough cuddles from us :)
hope they are well!!

Lorna
21-07-2008, 08:14 PM
when i got my two at 8 weeks old they were similar to start with, especially one more than the other, i'm so glad we got them both because of this. now the more nervous one when we got them is madder than her sister!
it took a while to get the to eat but just keep showing them where their food is, at first they would just pick at their food now they cant get enough!
they didnt go to the loo for a couple of days but once they started eating abit more that changed.
now they are just mad kittens, playing, running about everywhere not a minutes peace, prob not too soon till yours are like that!! :)
as well they weren't cuddly to start with but now they cant get enough cuddles from us :)
hope they are well!!

That really is a relief! They've used the litter tray several times, they've had some food and played with toys, neither has come to me, but the living room door is open now so i'm hoping they will wander in :) xxx

random
21-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Lol you know me Kel, I like to worry!

I just went in to give them some more food, so at least they're eating! I'm also very glad that I had the two together, I think it would be a much slower process if they were seperated, they love each other!

How many cats do you have now then Kel? xx

I know you do hun but they will get there soon enough and then you will wonder what you were ever worried about!

I have 6 now, all quite young ones, Kiara my Siamese is my oldest at 3, Vitaani and Tucker are 2, Colin and Princess are 1 and wee Anakin is just 15 weeks! :-D

When I got Tucker I also got his sister Nipper and they adored each other, they still took a wee while to come round they were quite shy kittens. I lost Nipper last year in an RTA. :(

Also when I got Vitaani just a couple of weeks before my sister had got her cat Jennie-Leigh, and they got on great together and I would bring Vitaani round to play with Jen all the time and they used to cause so much trouble, they were a really mischievous pair! So they do become great pals in pairs and are company for each other when you are not there too.

dandysmom
21-07-2008, 08:48 PM
I know you do hun but they will get there soon enough and then you will wonder what you were ever worried about!

I have 6 now, all quite young ones, Kiara my Siamese is my oldest at 3, Vitaani and Tucker are 2, Colin and Princess are 1 and wee Anakin is just 15 weeks! :-D

When I got Tucker I also got his sister Nipper and they adored each other, they still took a wee while to come round they were quite shy kittens. I lost Nipper last year in an RTA. :(

Also when I got Vitaani just a couple of weeks before my sister had got her cat Jennie-Leigh, and they got on great together and I would bring Vitaani round to play with Jen all the time and they used to cause so much trouble, they were a really mischievous pair! So they do become great pals in pairs and are company for each other when you are not there too.

A kitty play date! I did that when Carolyn's two were kittens: took Dandy over so they could all play; it was such fun to see the little ones wrestling with Dandy and trying to catch his tail (he was an adult at the time, but very good with the kittens!) :-D

Lorna
21-07-2008, 09:09 PM
awwww!!! They're wandering, just had some food, but again still don't want to know me :-( never mind, hopefully they will eventually!!!! I'm just so grateful they know where the litter tray is!!!! They're playing in the living room under my feet but they don't want to be near me yet......hopefully in time, but at the moment i'm enjoying watching them play!!!!

kado
21-07-2008, 09:16 PM
In time they will come too you i am sure of it. My kittens love the cuddles and even my cat guinness i rescued at 15wks is the daftest of the lot. He still wants cuddles even at 9kgs

Lorna
21-07-2008, 09:25 PM
I hope so, I really love them they're adorable, I want to cuddle them and I wish they wanted to cuddle me - will just have to wait for them to want me! They are so sweet the way they meow at each other!!!!

Lorna
22-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Last night they were behind the sofa but I had to go to bed and the night before I had just moved the sofa and they went into the kitchen - but last night they wouldn't and it ended up with Ocean going in with minimal fuss, but Choco getting quite scared. I'm tempted to leave them have the run of the downstairs now they know where the litter tray is and their food. Or is this an unwise choice? I don't want to make them even more afraid of me :(

Grete
22-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I think they will be fine having the run of the downstairs, just make sure anything breakable in their reach is moved ;) Their scent is on the litter tray now and I think it will be fine.

angieh
22-07-2008, 06:22 PM
watch out for electrical cables ......

Lorna
22-07-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm going to unplug everything before I go to work, although they have been in the kitchen and not touched anything - so I think they should be ok, I'm slightly worried they might scratch my tv screen, but I'm hoping not.....

They are still hiding from me :-( Although Ocean didn't hide when I came in today and watched me put his food down, but Choco hid the whole time, and when I walked towards the door Ocean hid :-( I love them to bits I just want them to be happy with me! xx

Kazz
22-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Its all still new...to them.......

Lorna
22-07-2008, 07:37 PM
They haven't come into the lounge tonight yet, which is unusual - they're still cuddled in the kitchen. I haven't touched them or tried to hold them at all - I'm worried that by me not making any contact with them they will not be loving when they grow :( I wish they wanted my company! x

Lorna
22-07-2008, 08:17 PM
My dad and stepmum have just come round and managed to get Ocean to have lovely cuddles with me!!!!! Choco is still terrified, but Ocean was quite happily cuddling me after he got over his initial fear of being stroked! It was only when Choco called Ocean that he went! I will post a piccie now... xx

dandysmom
22-07-2008, 09:02 PM
"Softly, softly catchee monkey..." ...they will come around, Lorna!

Kazz
22-07-2008, 09:09 PM
My Oscar spent his fost few weeks with me behind the sofa...behind the wardrobe...under the bed (as long as I was not in it) behind anything and everything,,,he was abused as a kitten too.....broken ribs, whiskers pulled out burnt by cigarettes etc....so not a great start and he was the most loving of cats......gently gently....all you need is paitence....kittens are not like pups....they need ot get confidence before they walk all over you.....and don't worry they will walk all over you literaly.

Mags
22-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Try giving then gentle tickles under their ears Lorna, they will like that and may come back for more...:D;)

Lorna
22-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Ocean just had little strokes, its Choco that is petrified, Ocean is nervous but more confident for sure, I think Choco must have been bullied by the other kittens as he clings to Ocean like glue! They're so funny to watch, Ocean is up on my sofa and everything!!!!

Kazz
22-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Kitten size steps they are taking.

Lorna
22-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Yep absolutely!!!! They're eating some biccies now! :D

Elvisisboss
27-07-2008, 07:28 AM
hiya im having the same with my kittens, i have a feeling these wasnt handled at all as they were kept in a crate and mum and dad lived at another house (yes im stupid) and they run out once she opened the door.

she hides behind the fridge when i leave the room, but she follows me out of the room, which is kinda sweet i guess!! has started coming up to me, not often i think twice to sit on my lap. still runs if i stand up! well i am bigger then her!

just kinda letting her get on with it now.

how are your two doing? im hoping another kitten will bring both of them together and more outgoing. i know i keep comparing them to my other cat whos 11now but he was with me 100% from day 1! he is part siamese and i know now they kinda pick one person to love!

i wish i knew what these cat was!!

Soupie
27-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Hey, they are 10 weeks, i've put my t shirt in there, they're in the kitchen, I just put them both in the litter tray but neither used it. They've had some food and a little drink, but they still hissed when I went ot pick them up, but they did let me have little cuddles before I carried them to the kitchen!

I hope they will come round I want really cuddly cats!!!!

They are babies in a strange place away from mum for the first time - give them time!

Loads of good advice on this thread but take the pressure off them being friendly straight away and adapting straight away and you will enjoy them much more :D

Lorna
27-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Well its a week today, Ocean doesn't hiss, Choco does. Ocean has even jumped up on me during play time, but doesn't come to me especially.....I think Ocean will be the cuddly one out of the two, but Choco is clearly terrified! I think it will take a few more weeks, but they have their play time, and thats always when I'm on the sofa so if they want to play on the sofa they have to jump on me ;)

L xx

dandysmom
27-07-2008, 04:09 PM
hiya im having the same with my kittens, i have a feeling these wasnt handled at all as they were kept in a crate and mum and dad lived at another house (yes im stupid) and they run out once she opened the door.

she hides behind the fridge when i leave the room, but she follows me out of the room, which is kinda sweet i guess!! has started coming up to me, not often i think twice to sit on my lap. still runs if i stand up! well i am bigger then her!

just kinda letting her get on with it now.

how are your two doing? im hoping another kitten will bring both of them together and more outgoing. i know i keep comparing them to my other cat whos 11now but he was with me 100% from day 1! he is part siamese and i know now they kinda pick one person to love!

i wish i knew what these cat was!!

Oh dear, it does sound as if they weren't properly socialized! But she's young and adaptable, and will will come around with time and patience.

Darky
27-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Remember that some cats even change behaviour years on into their lifetime.

My cat Tiger [RIP] was a very skittish young adult when we got her and hated me picking her up or taking her into another room. She was shy and a wee bit stand off-ish.

Over the years she became more and more relaxed, and in the last couple years of her life she was super-cuddly, chilled out and very attached to me.

Elvisisboss
27-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Oh dear, it does sound as if they weren't properly socialized! But she's young and adaptable, and will will come around with time and patience.

hyia i know im such a complete and utter idiot really, i had just been forced to sell my dog as my house fell through & the place i had to move into didnt accept pets :(
about 2 weeks or 1 i cant remember now my partner says his chatted to the landlady & she will accept cats......so we basically go and see the first one we find (god im stupid!) and i felt really forced into getting her like i was cornered, they all looked healthy & was wormed & flead, she did genuinely seem like a cat lover and had lots of advice for me but they were in a crate and just run out, she said she lets them out, but you dont know do you?

my parnter was like do you want one? she was saying take one! and im standing there wanting to talk to my parnter but i felt rude and then she put the price up by £10!! i was like ermmmmm. should have spoke up, if i did i wouldnt have taken her :( mean i know but after everything i just wanted something to love :( wouldny give her up now though!! shes a little sod keeps trying to play in her water bowl!!

then when i see them advetised for £25!! less! i was really annoyed but what can i do? pointless phoning her, she just just sold her kittens a litter of 8, although i saw no cats in her house. and this litter she said was her daughters and mum & dad werent there, even though they were only 7 weeks old?

ARGH! sometimes i amaze myself i know you shouldnt see cats/dogs without there mums and then i get one!

manged to find her ad & see what breed the kitten is lots of them there! :? ah dear! whats done is done now!

Lorna
28-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Awww hun. I was told they were very people friendly.....they're not at all, I am going to just keep giving them their space. Ocean just jumped down to see what I was doing when I was putting the food in the bowl this morning, so thats a good thing x

Elvisisboss
28-07-2008, 04:47 PM
i always say 'din dins' when im putting the food down or before i get there, she comes running now when she hears it!

my other cat is whistle trained!! for food & to come back (his a outdorrs cat!) my dad taught him it as a kitten. im doing the same with her now i whislte a certain tune when i come in the room so she knows its me! and she comes out of her hiding place! :D

Moli
04-08-2008, 11:38 PM
How are the kittens settling in now Lorna???

random
05-08-2008, 05:25 PM
How are they getting on now Lorna?

Lorna
12-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Hi guys, had a rough couple of weeks with work etc, sorry!

They are very settled but not cuddly with me yet, too obsessed with playing, but they do jump on me to play! x

Mags
07-09-2008, 05:52 PM
I hope the kittens have now gained their confidence and you are starting to enjoy them more now, Lorna......:D

Lorna
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM
They are still not very cuddly, unless I'm feeding them!!!! But they don't hiss and they are constantly landing on my belly when I lie on the sofa! They climb my curtains constantly!!!!

Mags
08-09-2008, 02:52 PM
They are still not very cuddly, unless I'm feeding them!!!! But they don't hiss and they are constantly landing on my belly when I lie on the sofa! They climb my curtains constantly!!!!
Everything normal there then!! :lol:

Lorna
04-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi all,

Just an update...ocean is very affectionate, Choco still isn't very interested, but I think that is just his way! They're both lovely and growing nicely! And yes still playing havoc with my curtains hee hee! Will post pics when I have chance to :-) xxx

Mags
04-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Looking forward to your pics Lorna, I expect they have grown a lot since we last saw them...:lol:

PoshPuss
04-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Lorna , it seems you have two bundles of fun there !
Glad you are getting some cuddles from Ocean even if Choco is still a bit shy. I'm sure they'll settle down soon and get 'cwtchy' with you ;)
Meantime I bet you have to just budget for new curtains :lol:

niki71uk
04-10-2008, 01:11 PM
http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll349/niki71uk/DSC00013.jpg

in the car coming home on the first day back in May,doesnt look scared at all does she lol.

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll349/niki71uk/DSC00027.jpg

then back home

UR 2 WILL BE OK,all she had at mine was a 14yr old cat who doesnt like her and a 3 n half yr old dog that was scared of her,but now they get on great,where ever the dog is she is,if it quiet then i worry,but usually f they quiet its coz they r both on my bed or in my bedroom playing

Lorna
05-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Awww absolutely gorgeous! They are playing in my curtains as we speak - cheeky so and so's!

:)