PDA

View Full Version : When is a cat fully grown?

Tina
20-07-2008, 03:33 AM
I've been a bit worried about whether or not Mouse is ever going to grow!

She stopped growing at about 6 months of age, and then became very ill at 10 months (she was probably sick since she was a couple months old, it just wasn't obvious till she was 10 months). She was diagnosed with an immune disease in her bone marrow and has been on steroids for 3 months. Her disease is under control and she is fairly well now, and she's filled out a little from the steroids and has gained a tiny bit of weight so she's not so skinny......but she's still SOOOO TINY!

She's now 13 months old and weighs just under 6lbs and is very small in length and height. I can still hold her in one arm! My other cat, Miw 4-years old, weighs almost 10lbs and is about twice the size of Mouse when they sit next to each other.

Was her growth stunted by her illness? Will she grow anymore? At what age is a cat fully-grown?

My vet doesn't think she'll get much bigger, but he could be wrong, right?. I don't mind her being a tiny cat, she's very sweet......but I forget she's not a baby anymore! I think she's getting annoyed at not being treated like an adult.....and at being nicknamed "Baby-kitty", she gives us the dirtiest looks when we call her that!! LOL!

Thanks!

Tina :)

Elaine
20-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Bless her, I am pleased she is still doing well:D
Your vet is probably right about her growth, I'd imagine after such a serious illness that her growth would be compromised.

diskinc
20-07-2008, 12:57 PM
My Lily is 11.5 months old and only weighs 3.1kg (about 6.5lbs). The vet thinks she is about full grown and will just be a very petite cat.

She was a CPL rescue and although I don't think she had the best start it wasn't terrible and she's never really been ill.

Her brother Jack is 4.5kg and looks like he still has a bit of growing to do as he is very 'leggy'.

It makes such a change to my last cat, Alf, who was 7.7kg.

dandysmom
20-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I would not be surprised if her illness did affect her growth. Hopefully she might grow a bit more but I suspect she's going to be a petite cat as your vet says ......

angieh
20-07-2008, 05:08 PM
All good things come in small packages .................. and perhaps Mouse by name - sweetheart, how brave she's been. She may be small in stature, but she must have the heart of a lioness. More pictures would be really nice ... hint hint...! :lol: :lol: :lol:

random
20-07-2008, 08:30 PM
With mogs it's hard to say, I have some big and some petite cats but as a general rule my girls seems to have reached their full adult size at about 12 months and my boys a bit older, 18months-2 years, both my boy's heads continued to develop well after their first birthday and they began to fill out in their second year. It sounds as if her illness has had an effect on her growth and she is probably as big as she is going to get now at 13 months although she may fill out more.