PDA

View Full Version : Paloma's problems

scilla
19-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Help!!

I have had Paloma, my 7 year old rehomed Birman for four months. She was fine to begin with, then tried going into the garden, came back and started spraying. She is on Felliway treatment No.2, from the vets and is still spraying. She seems to do it in the night. I have cleaned the area in the living room with cleaning stuff for pets, tried moving the litter tray into the living room, and gradually out to where it usually is and is now, which she prefers. I would like to resolve this problem.

Any ideas?? She is friendly, but nervy.

Scilla :? :?

angieh
19-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Sorry to hear of Paloma's problems - I don't have any experience of Birmans, but would wonder whether when she went out she came across another cat either in "person" or who had left their scent marks in your garden. Sounds as if she is trying to mark her territory to keep other cats away (or to attract a male if she has not been spayed). Either would seem to at least explain her behaviour.

Elaine
20-07-2008, 07:58 AM
http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/soiling.html
Hope this helps;)

scilla
20-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks, everyone!

She is still spraying and nervy (keeps running away from us, but will come to us at her own rate!!), though she's happy to spend the night on our bed!!! When she first went out, she ran indoors and has only been out a few times for a few minutes. The vet says to keep her indoors for a while.

Thanks, Scilla

scilla
24-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Just an update.

I caught Paloma spraying yesterday. She is very nervous and it all started when she first went out into the garden, after moving in with us. This was about a month after joining us. The website quoted is very helpful, and I am hopeful that eventually she will stop!!

Thanks, everyone.

Scilla:? :?

angieh
24-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for giving us an update Scilla. Do so hope that Paloma settles down soon. Something must have startled her.

Steph
24-07-2008, 05:41 PM
I have a PhD in Psychology but I could never work out cats :-)-love and patience??

dandysmom
24-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Steph, I wonder of Freud himself could have figured cats out.........

scilla
27-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi, Everyone,

'Mind of their own' comes to mind!!! The vet has given Paloma some capsules to sprinkle on her food for stress. They knock her out and she is a bit zombie-like, but she has twice attempted to spray. I say attempted because I distracted her on both occasions!

She is gradually going out into the back garden on her own for five-minute wanders and is beginning to come back on her own, so fingers crossed that this will fade away!!!!!!!

I'll keep in touch.

Many thanks - Sclla and Paloma!

scilla
04-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi, everyone,

Thanks for help! Paloma is spraying about once a week now!! (Against the same wall in the living room!!) She has calmed down a bit but I hope she won't be permanently on the Felliway - she'll become a drug addict!!!

Scilla.

yola
04-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Scilla, I don't really know what to suggest! I only had 1 cat that sprayed and the problem went away eventually when I caught him and had him snipped.

Paloma has been neutered hasn't she? Obvious question I know . . . other than than, have you read Elaine's thread about Eva's Reiki therapy? Have you considered alternative therapy for your Paloma?

I don't know if you use Castle Vets (as you're in Reading), but I know they have some access to alternative therapists so might be worth a chat with them.

Good luck - and don't give up! There must be something up and hopefully with patience and love you can get to the bottom of it!

scilla
05-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi, all,

Getting desperate! Paloma has sprayed several times today. My other half is getting a bit jumpy! I will try to get her (the cat!) to the vet soon, but it's getting worrying. She's gorgeous otherwise and I don't want to lose her! My cat is registered with Tilehurst Vets, so we'll see what they say further in the next few days. She has been neutered and I am still using Felliway room treatment which is all the vets suggest.

Thanks, Scilla

yola
05-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Can you confine her to a room where she hasn't sprayed to see if you can break the cycle?

scilla
06-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Hi,

Thanks for that. I will try to organise things. I have tried again the stress capsules from the vet which you sprinkle on food, but it just makes her sleep and the problem comes back. The other thing I remembered is that when she sprayed twice the other day, I had given her a dose of Frontline the night before so she might have been stressed from that!

Scilla

scilla
23-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone!

Update on Paloma. Last week I took her to the vet and got the allclear - no waterworks problems. Advisedto change the litter from wood chips to a fine one - now use Catsan. Also advised to keep cat indoors and keep her out of the living room at night! I put biscuits drink and litter tray in the hall at night with living room door closed, then back to the living room for the daytime. Paloma has not been outdoors for a week now AND THERE HAVE BEEN NO PROBLEMS!!! I don't know if the problem was her going outside or the different litter material. Anyway it seems to be working and she has to remain an indoors cat! Change of litter may help your fellow writer with cat peeing problems.

Will keep you advised. Thanks for help!

Scilla

dandysmom
23-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the update! Wonderful news!

yola
23-08-2008, 04:25 PM
That's great news!!! sometimes with these things it's a case of trial and error. Long may the non-spraying continue :D

scilla
12-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi, all,

Another update! Paloma is still behaving herself but will remain an indoor cat. She is doing well. Thanks everyone for encouragement.

Scilla

dandysmom
12-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the update; glad things are working out so well!!