PDA

View Full Version : White Wine fans

dandysmom
16-07-2008, 09:48 PM
I've just discovered a wine new to me, Portuguese Vinho Verde. I'm no wine expert, but always read the wine column in the paper; this was recently reviewed; I tried it and loved it. If you like pinot grigio and riesling, think you'll like this, and to make it even better, it's very reasonably priced! I'm going to stock up! Here's a link telling a bit about it. I'm having a glass as I type :D

http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvisor2/tswa20070907.php

yola
16-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I remember my Dad raving about this in the 70s and it's right up my street now as I'm very partial to young, white wine rather than the heavy, oakey Chardonnays etc.

The wine does have a bit of a stigma here as it's seen as 'a bit 70s' along with Mateus Rose (not too bad) and Liebfraumilch (truly awful). Unfairly so though as it's fresh and zesty and I like it :D

dandysmom
16-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Nice to hear that, Yola! I admit in the 70s to liking Mateus Rose also; not Liebfraumilch. I was really impressed at how nice and light this is, with the little bit of carbonation...pleasant with pasta and seafood. !

Kim
17-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Yola - you took the words from my mouth! Vinho verde and I thought 70's! I do like this wine and leibfraumilch too - remember when Blue Nun was very popular?

dandysmom
17-07-2008, 02:07 AM
I haven't thought of Blue Nun in years, Kim! We used to have it at the seafood place......I don't know if the Vinho Verde wasn't as popular here as the others you and Yola mentioned, I'd never heard of it until just now. Anyway, I like it very much!

yola
17-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Blue Nun, Black Tower etc etc . . . I cut my drinking teeth :shock: on those in the early 80s.

Glad you're liking the Vinho Verde . . . and yes, a lovely seafood risotto or pasta dish would be perfect with it :D