PDA

View Full Version : Any cats that don't like grooming?

meep
16-07-2008, 10:02 AM
So I tried out a new, standard cat brush two nights ago. Neither cats loved it (I had visions of them rolling around and purring). Darcy was happy to let me do it whilst I distracted him with treats, and I did get a good bit of hair out. But Minsky just didn't like it at all - I didn't persist.

I'm waiting on my FURminator to arrive (hopefully tomorrow!) and have read that even cats who don't like being groomed seem to like the furminator.

Does anyone have a cat that just refuses to be groomed? If so, do you just put up with the excess hair and occasional hairball? Or is there any tips or tricks for getting him to come round to it eventually?

Elaine
16-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I have one, Bernie HATES being groomed and will run off at the sight of a brush, comb and even the furminator. We have no idea why he is like this and i am sorry to say I have no tips that will help, occasionally Graham manages to groom little bits before he wriggles away. He has fine fluffy hair and weaves its way into everything. I try to give him furball paste regularly and he will munch on the grass outside and the kitty grass on the window ledge.
Eva quite likes being groomed, just dont touch her tummy or her trouser legs or she'll have you.:lol:

Mags
16-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Cassie loves being groomed....as soon as she sees the brush or comb she comes running over.

When I first had her I used to sit on the floor with her between my legs, her back end towards me. I used one hand on her chest to restrain her and the other for gentle brushing...... she soon got used to it and I have no problems at all now. I must add though, that she doesn't like her tummy brushed either - the skin must be more sensitive there.

When I use the furminator, she purrs away like mad :lol: ........if she had her way she would probably end up bald!! :-D

angieh
16-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Merlin will tolerate a bit of gentle grooming with the soft brush. He does not like the comb. Have only tried the furminator once. Won't let his tummy be touched, but loves having his face washed with an old facecloth and warm water. Purrrrs like mad.

keziah
16-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Figo is ok with a slight bit of grooming. I use the zoom groom brush which works quite well to remove the loose hair. Initially he did not like brushing, but I use to brush him a little and give him some treat and then brush and treat him. That is how he got to be a little tolerant. Although he will never allow me to brush his tummy. That is just a no go area for him :), but I do think if you keep brushing your cat regularly and reinforce his letting him brush you with a little treat, I think he will get more tolerant and will let you brush a bit more each time. Now Figo even purrs while I brush him and gives me his chin to brush which is quite cute :) Good Luck with the brushing :)

Elaine
16-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Merlin will tolerate a bit of gentle grooming with the soft brush. He does not like the comb. Have only tried the furminator once. Won't let his tummy be touched, but loves having his face washed with an old facecloth and warm water. Purrrrs like mad.

Bernie loves having his face washed too, he also licks your fingers so you can clean his ears for him:lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
16-07-2008, 09:56 PM
My tortie was the only onewho disliked grooming. Leia loves it, all I have to do is call "Leia, brushie!" and she comes running! Loves the tummy grooming, but do not touch the trousers!

Giving a treat sounds like a good idea to make it more acceptable (AKA bribery!)

meep
17-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks everyone! I have tried the treat thing, and Darcy LOVES the treats I got them (Nature's Menu Chicken and Liver). So I gave him one or two then left the bag on the floor and he spent a good 5 minutes trying to get into it (I only made a very tiny hole to get the treats out) so whilst he was doing this I could groom him.

But Stravinsky didn't seem fussed by the treats at all, and still doesn't like the grooming (even with the furminator). I think it put him in a grump with me for the rest of the evening after I tried :roll:

"Bernie loves having his face washed too, he also licks your fingers so you can clean his ears for him"

Elaine that is adorable!!

dandysmom
17-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks everyone! I have tried the treat thing, and Darcy LOVES the treats I got them (Nature's Menu Chicken and Liver). So I gave him one or two then left the bag on the floor and he spent a good 5 minutes trying to get into it (I only made a very tiny hole to get the treats out) so whilst he was doing this I could groom him.

But Stravinsky didn't seem fussed by the treats at all, and still doesn't like the grooming (even with the furminator). I think it put him in a grump with me for the rest of the evening after I tried :roll:

"Bernie loves having his face washed too, he also licks your fingers so you can clean his ears for him"

Elaine that is adorable!!

Has your Furminator come already, them? That was quick! Did you get a lot of fur from Darcy?

meep
17-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Has your Furminator come already, them? That was quick! Did you get a lot of fur from Darcy?

It did arrive really quickly! I got about the same fur from Darcy as I did from the normal comb, but I did brush Darcy the day before I tried with the furminator and I didn't want to go overboard at first as he still isn't entirely comfortable with being groomed (it's just something he'll put up with whilst treats are available!)

And Stravinsky is FAR furrier than Darcy, and shedding a LOT more - but, sods law, he's the one who won't let me near him with the furminator :roll:

So I am impressed with the fur the furminator took off Darcy although it wasn't as big as some of the pictures I've seen, but give me time and maybe one day I'll have a Stravinsky ball big enough to stuff a few cushions ;)

Steph
24-07-2008, 05:45 PM
All of my cats must have picked up on me-I`ll just roll over and purr :-)

fancyabrew
28-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Our loony isn't a big fan but being a BSH needs to be regularly groomed as its coat is so thick, it’ll sort of put up with a bit as long as you don’t go near her belly or hind legs. As for brushes I’ve found the best to be the rubber brushes can’t remember what they’re called but they’re in the shape of a cat and the fur sort of sticks to the rubber bristles.

dandysmom
28-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Our loony isn't a big fan but being a BSH needs to be regularly groomed as its coat is so thick, it’ll sort of put up with a bit as long as you don’t go near her belly or hind legs. As for brushes I’ve found the best to be the rubber brushes can’t remember what they’re called but they’re in the shape of a cat and the fur sort of sticks to the rubber bristles.

I had one of those and it didn't do a very good job IMO; I swear by the Furminator!

fancyabrew
28-07-2008, 04:40 PM
blimey its a bit expensive!, cheaper to cut all her fur off!

dandysmom
28-07-2008, 04:58 PM
It is a bit pricy, but well worth it; lots of members here have one; actually I heard about it here. You might be able to pick one up on eBay for less; I think someone here did.......

meep
29-07-2008, 09:18 AM
I managed to get mine off ebay for £20 including p&p, so it was about £17 without p&p. I have to say that it does do ;such a good job, and Minsky has started to come round to it, whilst he still won't let me near him with any other!

I've examined both brushes, ones got lots of needle like spokes, and then the furminator only has one line of small, blunt-ish spikes, and if i was a cat and had to use one as my hairbrush, i'd definately choose the furminator! The regular brush has much longer spikes and they are quite sharp, so i can imagine it would irritate the skin, whilst the furminator only touches the fur and seems to remove it gently, whilst a rubber brush pulling the hair sounds pretty darned sore to me! (I have curly hair and used to be told at gym class to wear rubber bands to tie my hair back if I forgot a bobbel. When I took it out, about half my hair came out too and it was NOT fun!)
I can imagine with teh cat brush that it doesn't tug too much and only removes the loose hair, but the furminator does remove a lot more hair and prevents shedding (and hairballs!)

So yes, I'm a furminator fan too :) I did Darcy once and have't had to do him again since!

babycakes
29-07-2008, 09:03 PM
I cannot rate the FURminator enough, my cat would not let me brush him with anything at all. I show him the FURminator and he rolls over, purrs, rubs up against it it's mad he loves it and the hair that comes off!!!!