PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about Beauty

Phoenix
15-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Beauty seemed to be reluctant to bunt round things today (usually she bunts round anything she can get near)

She's also been eating grass last night and being sick, and she's been drinking a lot less as well.

She's still grooming and she's been out hunting (brought back a bird) but she's also been making more noise than she usually does.

She's also intermittently been breathing slightly quicker than normal (could be the heat - it's quite hot round here!)

I'm just wondering if anyone can help with finding why she's so reluctant to bunt round things now and reluctant to allow me to stroke her? She'll stand there and let me stroke her, but she doesn't seem to enjoy it any more?

HappyKatz
15-07-2008, 05:32 PM
How long has she been acting a little different?
Just recently or have you noticed this over a period of time?

Phoenix
15-07-2008, 05:34 PM
How long has she been acting a little different?
Just recently or have you noticed this over a period of time?

It's only been today she's been like this!

Last night was when she ate grass and threw up, since this morning she's been reluctant to bunt.

I'm keeping my eye on her so if she gets worse or doesn't improve by tomorrow then I'll take her down to the vets.

DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH!!!

EDIT: If anyone's interested when she threw the grass up it was a clear fluid with the blades of grass in it.

Phoenix
15-07-2008, 07:28 PM
She's drunk a little bit just now, but again not much. Stuck her tongue in the water once then just wandered off.

I've managed to get one bunt off her this evening. (encouraged by me, I put my hand on the side of her face to get the bunt)

EDIT: Also today she's seemed exceptionally nervy of us! She caught a bird but wouldn't let me approach her and she's decided she doesn't like anyone being in the same room as her when she's eating!

Elaine
15-07-2008, 07:46 PM
It may just be that the heat is gettting to her but as she has CRF, it may also be down to excess tummy acid. Give your vet a call, they may prescribe some antacid for her.
Though personally speaking Winston hated the antacid and I prefered to use slippery elm bark daily just to help keep it at bay.

dandysmom
15-07-2008, 07:57 PM
The clear fluid and grass blades are usual when they eat grass and throw up. But it does sound as if she might not be feeling very well, why not give the vet a ring and ask?

Phoenix
15-07-2008, 07:58 PM
The clear fluid and grass blades are usual when they eat grass and throw up. But it does sound as if she might not be feeling very well, why not give the vet a ring and ask?

I'll see how she is tomorrow - the vet won't be open now!

Erin
15-07-2008, 08:05 PM
I'll see how she is tomorrow - the vet won't be open now!

If your that worried call you vet,they my not be open but they should have an on call vet who will be able to take your call :D

Kay
15-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Is she off her food as well as not drinking as much? In this heat they can get dehydrated so easily. If you have any glucose powder in or can get any it might be an idea to mix some with water and put that in her bowl instead of plain water. It will help to keep her hydrated.

I would take her to the vets tomorrow just to check considering her history.

Elaine
15-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Is she off her food as well as not drinking as much? In this heat they can get dehydrated so easily. If you have any glucose powder in or can get any it might be an idea to mix some with water and put that in her bowl instead of plain water. It will help to keep her hydrated.

I would take her to the vets tomorrow just to check considering her history.

Good thinking Kay, especially as she is crf, she is of a higher risk of dehydration than a healthy cat.

Kay
15-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Good thinking Kay, especially as she is crf, she is of a higher risk of dehydration than a healthy cat.

Anything is worth a try in my opinion ;)

Elaine
15-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Absolutely;)

Elaine
16-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Well? How is she today? Did you call the vet for advice? Is she eating/drinking? Is she "bunting" you more today?

Phoenix
16-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Well? How is she today? Did you call the vet for advice? Is she eating/drinking? Is she "bunting" you more today?

She's back to bunting, no longer being nervy of me (she's still a little nervy of everyone else though - that's normal for her!) She's pigging herself with food, I've not seen her drinking (there again she uses the bird bath and I've not been in for most of this morning) so it could be that she's either gone to pinch her boyfriends water or drinking out of the bird bath when I'm not watching.

Going to find her in a minute.

I've not seen her panting at all today (it's been a bit cooler today) but I'll be checking on her in a few minutes.

dandysmom
16-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Good news!

Phoenix
16-07-2008, 08:41 PM
She has been drinking! I used a spoon and a cup and managed to get some water down her!

She then decided just to keep me happy she was going to drink out the bird bath.

It's great that!

meep
17-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Glad to hear she's back to normal! I was a wee bit worried reading the post! To be honest, Minsky has been kind of the same over the past two days: very very quiet, reserved, in a different room from the rest of us, everytime i stroke him he turns his head away, and not moving around much. But last night he jumped up on the bed and fell asleep pressed up against me purring - my guess is Darcy had been picking on him or he was in a mood about something... He may even have had indigestion!

Like you I was considering calling the vet, but I do think cats can have 'off' days just like humans do. Maybe something scared her outside and made her unsettled?

Phoenix
17-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Glad to hear she's back to normal! I was a wee bit worried reading the post! To be honest, Minsky has been kind of the same over the past two days: very very quiet, reserved, in a different room from the rest of us, everytime i stroke him he turns his head away, and not moving around much. But last night he jumped up on the bed and fell asleep pressed up against me purring - my guess is Darcy had been picking on him or he was in a mood about something... He may even have had indigestion!

Like you I was considering calling the vet, but I do think cats can have 'off' days just like humans do. Maybe something scared her outside and made her unsettled?

I'm not sure...

She was perfectly happy in her favourite spot of the garden!

Elaine
17-07-2008, 01:20 PM

Cats can and will have off days but for a cat with an existing compromising condition, its always best not to take any chances.

meep
17-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Cats can and will have off days but for a cat with an existing compromising condition, its always best not to take any chances.

I agree Elaine, and I do admit I didn't take that wholly into account with what I posted. It does sound like Beauty is getting back to her old self again but there is no harm in a vet call at any stage - like I said, I was nearly about to call the Vet about Minsky myself as he was being off, and he has no exisiting medical condition at all. It is just always reassuring when they get back to their old selves :)

angieh
17-07-2008, 03:19 PM
So glad Beauty has improved. They do like to keep us on our toes our feline companions!