PDA

View Full Version : Cassie's vet visit

Mags
15-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Took Cassie to the vet this morning for her booster and her senior health check.

She's been bringing up hairballs for about a week - always during the night for me to find first thing in the morning :roll: She's a very nervous cat and sheds profusely and although I comb her every day it doesn't seem to help her much. The vet didn't give me anything to help her dispel the hairballs, just said to keep brushing her and as long as she brings them up she's fine..:?

I have also changed her flea treatment to Advocate as the vet said there has been a lot of negative feedback about the Frontline Spot-on and it isn't doing its job properly. Avocate also protects against fleas, larvae, hookworm, roundworm heartworm and otodectes (ear mites) so that saves me having to worm her separately.

She was also weighed this morning and is now 5.01kg (11 lbs) compared to 5.30kg (11.7lbs) last year.

Finally I asked the vet if she would clip her nails ........that's when the 'fun' began!:roll:
She hissed and she growled and she lashed out at the vet :oops: ......it ended up with Cassie being wrapped in a towel to enable her to clip her :roll: Thankfully her back claws didn't need anything doing!:lol: My innocent little Cassie can be quite a spitfire when she wants!! :lol:

We came home £65.21 lighter and a relieved cat ........and my first job was to put the kettle on for a nice cup of coffee!!:-D

Amber
15-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Glad all went well with Cassie, even if it didn't go so well for the vet :lol:

Tina
15-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Mags

Sounds like the vet visit was loads of fun! :-)

Just a thought on the furballs, we use something called Defurr-UM made by M&C which works quite well for our tortoiseshell who also sheds alot. It's sold in Pets at Home and some smaller pet supply places, comes in a tube and smells, and presumably tastes like marmite.....our tortie LOVES it!

M&C also does something called Nurish-UM which is a vitamin and mineral supplement and quite good.

Tina

meep
15-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Glad to hear it all went well :) (or as well as it could do, including the towel-wrapped Cassie ;)

angieh
15-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Bless her! Hope that cup of coffee soothed your nerves Mags!

charliebubs
15-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Awww - poor Cassie - I bet she wondered what on earth was happening to her!!! ;)

I can also recommend De Furrum - I give them to my lot too, as a treat and they love them. :)

Mags
15-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi Mags

Sounds like the vet visit was loads of fun! :-)

Just a thought on the furballs, we use something called Defurr-UM made by M&C which works quite well for our tortoiseshell who also sheds alot. It's sold in Pets at Home and some smaller pet supply places, comes in a tube and smells, and presumably tastes like marmite.....our tortie LOVES it!

M&C also does something called Nurish-UM which is a vitamin and mineral supplement and quite good.

Tina

Thanks for that recommendation Tina, I'll look out for that ......and the vitamin supplement..;):smt023

Glad to hear it all went well :) (or as well as it could do, including the towel-wrapped Cassie ;)

Thanks meep, it did go well! :roll::lol: ........ she turns in to the cat from hell at the vets!!:-D

Bless her! Hope that cup of coffee soothed your nerves Mags!

I can honestly say that was the most welcome cup of coffee I've had for ages!!:-D

Awww - poor Cassie - I bet she wondered what on earth was happening to her!!! ;)

I can also recommend De Furrum - I give them to my lot too, as a treat and they love them. :)

You're correct there Charlie, it must come as a shock to some cats leaving the safety of their own home and suddenly having a stranger prodding and sticking needles into them..:?:D

Thank you also for recommending De Furrum... :smt023

Moli
15-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Poor Cassie, what a experience for her!!
I am surprised the vet did not give you Katalax Mags, thats what I get for furballs
Never mind, that it over for another year!!!..

Kazz
15-07-2008, 03:03 PM
That De Furmm is good Mags I used it for Cleo in the last few months.....being short haired she was normaly fine but seemed to help. Although she adored being combed she still groomed herself like a fanatic...

Have you tred doing cassies nails yourself when she's asleep on your lap mine had theirs done fine back or front....Cleo would let you roll her on her back and flew her claws out...eventualy we managed to do it without waking her......Ox never needed his doing as he was always out and about....but hers seemed to grow quicker as she got older, or maybe like Cassie she stopped wearing them down.

Glad it went well.....she really just wanted to give you something interesting to put in your thread.....keeping you on your toes....reminding you you actually have a tiger in a cats coat.

Karen

dandysmom
15-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Poor Cassie, but at least it's over. I love the description of the claw clipping; can just see it! Katalax is the name of the hairball remedy I was thinking of, am quite surprised the vet didn't suggest it! You might want to give it a try; I've used the US equivalent of it for years and have never heard of any adverse reactions...plus they love it!

Mags
15-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Kazz, Cassie is a bit like Elaine's Diva in that respect ....... she would never let me clip her claws:roll::lol:

Kay
15-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Poor Cassie but it sounds like she left her mark at the vets and they certainly won't forget her.

Do they do Advocate for dogs as well? My mum has also been complaining that Frontline doesn't seem to be working like it used to.

Moli
15-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Kazz, Cassie is a bit like Elaine's Diva in that respect ....... she would never let me clip her claws:roll::lol:
Sounds like Cassie has been talking to my Leo...:roll:

Elaine
15-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Poor Cassie, Eva sends her friendly headbutts and sympathises with her profusely;)
Vet visits and nail clipping can be a very tramatic experience for these highly strung but yet very beautiful Divas:lol:

Mags
15-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Poor Cassie but it sounds like she left her mark at the vets and they certainly won't forget her.

Do they do Advocate for dogs as well? My mum has also been complaining that Frontline doesn't seem to be working like it used to.

Yes they do Kay...........:D

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21_47_166

alexgirl73
15-07-2008, 08:21 PM
lol, sorry for laughing Mags, but I can just picture the scene. At least it's over and done with again :D

Kay
15-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for that Mags I will let my mum know.

Mags
15-07-2008, 08:23 PM
lol, sorry for laughing Mags, but I can just picture the scene. At least it's over and done with again :D
I can laugh at it now Alex, it was a new vet and Cassie just didn't take to her at all! :lol:

dandysmom
15-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Sounds like Cassie has been talking to my Leo...:roll:

Or she was channeling Patches from the Bridge...Patches always said I was amputating her toes without anaesthetic when I tried to clip her claws...you could hear the screams blocks away! She was impossible to clip ......:roll:

Kazz
15-07-2008, 09:50 PM

Kay they do your Mom could also try stronghold....the best thing about that is it "oh whats the word" goes into the skin...so it does not wah off when they get bathed or in Sal's case "swim"