PDA

View Full Version : hello

farthing
14-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi, nice to meet you all. We have 9 cats all dsh. Mostly rescues who were going to be PTS.
Our youngest has spent today in the vet with swelling in his 3 legs (he only has 3), and it is now thought he may have FIV, the vet's snap test was positive so we've sent a sample off to the lab to confirm. I will be posting for advice tomorrow after I've spoken to the vet as I was in such a state of shock I didn't take in all that was said. He has had a full set of bloods run and an abdominal scan done, so once I see the results I will be able to ask sensible questions.

Mags
14-07-2008, 10:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/CassieWelcome2.jpg

Hi, welcome to Catsey!

So sorry to hear about your young cat, it must have come as a great shock to you..:(

Ask any questions you have, we usually have someone here who can come up with an answer for you.

Looking forward to chatting with you..

Moli
14-07-2008, 10:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/molidoodle/P1020619-1.jpg
Sorry to hear about your young cat...

farthing
15-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi, thanks for your welcome.
I've just seen Triger's records and his bloods were fine, they couldn't see anything on the scan because of fluid in the abdomen and his heart sounds fine. They are now concerned about FIP, does anybody have experience of this and how at risk are my other cats. I know things are now very bleak for Triger.
Triger is 5.
The rest are Pumpkin and Mustard, both 6, Sooty is 8, Candy is 11, Spice is 16, Smudge is 15, Samson is 14 and Misty is 19.

yola
15-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi, a warm welcome to you. Sorry you're finding us under such worrying circumstances.

I had an FIV cat but have no experience of FIP. I'm sure one of our more knowledgable members will be along shortly.

dandysmom
15-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Hi, sorry your introduction was such a sad one; you must be so concerned. I've had no experience with FIP but am sure some members who have will be along with advice.

Your cats sound lovely, Any chance of pics?

HappyKatz
15-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Hello :smt039 Welcome to the wonderful world of Catsey! Hope you enjoy it here :)

We have 9 cats as well & all DSH! Hope to see photos of all your kitties someday :cat27

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee273/Katz4Life/Hello%20and%20Welcome/Picture105-1.jpg

Phoenix
15-07-2008, 05:19 PM
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd95/rescuecatsrule/welcome2.jpg

I don't have any experience with FIP either! Sorry to hear what you are going through - you must be worried sick!

farthing
15-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks, everybody.
It has been confirmed Triger has FIV, and we can't stop the oedema in his body- his legs, abdomen and face are now swollen, all this since Thursday. I have a diuretic injection to give him tonight to keep him comfortable, but I think he will have to be PTS tomorrow. I just can't believe this has happened so quickly, he was such a lean, well muscled cat, and only 5, I can't understand it.
I will get the other cats tested, I hope they should be OK because they never fight, except for Triger and Mustard play fighting, but I've never even had a cat with a cat bite abscess.

Kay
15-07-2008, 08:20 PM
So sorry that you have joined us at this sad time. Thinking of you and Triger {{{Hugs}}} to you both.

Mags
15-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I am so, so sorry the news isn't good about Triger....:(

Thinking of you both, hugs to you and gentle cuddles to Triger.....

farthing
16-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks everybody fro your kind words. Just to let you know Triger was PTS this afternoon, the vets suspected he had developed FIP, due to his lowered immune system. Whatever it was there was nothing we could do.

Mags
16-07-2008, 08:31 PM
I am so very sorry to hear about Triger..:cry: You gave him the kindest gift of all, you set him free from all pain and suffering.

Most of us here have been through what you are going through now, the pain is awful but in time you will learn to smile at the happy times you had with him.

We have a section here called "Gone but Not Forgotten"

http://www.catsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63

........if anytime you feel like you would like to post a memorial to your dear Triger,

Thinking of you ((((hugs))))

RIP sweet Triger....xx

dandysmom
16-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I am so sorry for your loss of dear Triger. . It's never easy but you gave him the last best gift you could, freedom from pain. Try to remember the happy times, (((hugs)))

Grete
16-07-2008, 11:26 PM
So sorry to hear about Triger :( You did the best you could for him and that was letting him go so he didn't suffer.

Run free Triger, play at the bridge with our babies that have gone before you.

*hugs*

yola
17-07-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm so very sorry :cry: At least Triger is out of pain and is no longer in any discomfort. You just have to take the time to deal with your grief.

Don't despair about the FIV. I had an FIV cat live with my 2 non-FIVs for about 2 years and because there was no biting or fighting there was very little risk and the remaining 2 continue in non-FIV good health. Of course get your cats tested for your own peace of mind, but also don't forget that cats can live happily for years with FIV and display no degeneration, so if there is a diagnosis it's not an automatic death sentence.

What happened to Triger was tragic, but at least it was quick. RIP dear puss.

angieh
18-07-2008, 06:02 PM
I am so sorry that you have found us at such a very sad time. The others have said all that I would.

I do hope that you can tell us about your other cats when you have had some time.

Poor Triger - a very sad and sudden illness. You gave him peace and dignity at the end. RIP.

farthing
19-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks everybody, I feel really down today. I let the other cats out for the first time since Triger was PTS and Mustard has spent the whole day wandering around meowing. He doesn't normally do this and is seems to me he is looking for Tiger, its making me feel really sad for him.
He and Triger were best buddies, and Mustard watched over Triger when he first went out after his leg was amputated, I've even seen Mustard give him a mouse, before Triger became adept at catching them himself.
Who says humans are the only animals who feel sorrow.

dandysmom
19-07-2008, 04:26 PM
That;s touching. Poor Mustard. They do grieve; when my Sultan had to be PTS Misty very obviously missed him and looked for him...so sad.

kado
19-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Simon was has been exactly the same since we lost Kay. He crys all the time for me and follows me everywhere. Animals do certainly have feelings.

jane