PDA

View Full Version : How did you name your cat(s)?

HappyKatz
14-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Just thought it would be fun to see how everyone came to name their cute kitties :cat10

Sliver: She got her name because she has a white sliver on one of her eyes.
Snowball: His previous name was Orion but as soon as we seen him,
the name just came to us, like that is what we should name him!
Sage: He has a really mellow purrsonality & the name just seemed to fit.
Sushie: We have always wanted to name a cat Sushie & she fit it purrfectly.
Spooky: When she was a kitten, we named her Sugar until we found out she
wasn't that sweet. She is now, but she gets spooked around people.
Spici: She got her name all because of her purrsonality, shes a wild one!
Shilo: She is a shy girl whos always creeping low to the ground to surprise other kitties.
Sadee: Always thought this name sounded sweet.
As soon as we found out her adorable purrsonality, that was her name!
Sasha: Her previous name was Cortana, but she had to have an "S" name to
properly fit in with our kitty family. We had her name picked out within the first few days.

Naming a cat is so much fun! Most of their names just fit & had to do with their purrsonalities :D Look forward to seeing how you named your cats!! :cat33

Darky
14-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Honey: Three reasons. I love honey, I love Royal Jelly and also because it partly comes from a character in a manga/anime that I love.

http://ice-cubed.net/petit/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/h07.JPG

angieh
14-07-2008, 08:56 PM
When I bought Merlin home, he was actually called Brockley - which I believe was where he was born. He was with me quite a while until he told me what his real name was!

alexgirl73
14-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Simple really, all our cats had to have names connected with our favourite football team lol.

ellenlouise
14-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Trinity from the Matrix OH's fav film
Trixie because it went well and the meaning fitted
Neo because of the male in the Matrix
Lily because she is perfectly beautiful just like one

Jac
14-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Ola got her name as we were just back fom Spain. When I went to visit she came right over to say hello. Despit being seporated by a 2ft high ply board:lol:

ellenlouise
14-07-2008, 09:24 PM
what about your past cats jac?

pinklizzy
14-07-2008, 09:26 PM
When Imogen was born, by C-section, I had to give her oxygen therapy for nearly an hour before she came round. The other nurses (who knew she was going to be my baby) joked that I shuld call her Oxy, short for Oxygen!
I wasn't convinced, Oxy reminded me of spot cream! :roll: Then one of them suggested Imogen, I researched it and found it was the name of a princess in a Shakespeare play and it all seemed to fit! She is a princess after all. :-D

Jac
14-07-2008, 09:30 PM
C-Fur = C for Cat:lol:

Purrdie = Cause she could Purr for Scotland

Caspurr = Again he had a good Pur and took ages to colour up

Abi I just liked the name.

dandysmom
14-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Scamper, the ginger tom I grew up with; named by me at age 6 because that's what he did as a kitten. Unfortunate choice, as he turned out to be a very large dignified cat whose name definitely did not suit,,

Su-ling, seal point Siamese: named after a character in a book I was reading

Sultan, Aby: because he was incredibly regal in bearing even as a small kitten,,,suited him perfectly!

Misty, blue torbie: name suggested by a friend when I was trying to think of one, and I liked it

Dandy, Singapura: I was trying to find a Chinese/Malay name to reflect the origin of his breed; it occurred to me he was born right here in the USA in Massachussetts, hence a real Yankee Doodle Dandy!

Patches, brindled tortie: named when I rehomed her

Leia, blue torbie: named when I rehomed her

Onyx, moggy: because she was black! Not very original!

Two cat names I like and hope to use some day: Tiggles and Taz!

keziah
14-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Figo is named after Luis Figo, the portugese football player who player for two of the biggest clubs in the world (barca and madrid)

meep
14-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Darcy - When I saw him I thought he was a proper handsome gentleman, a real ladies man, and so named him after Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy (also I'm an English Lit. graduate, so it was appropriate ;) )

Stravinsky - my partner name Stravinsky, it didnt roll off my tongue at first but I admit that it suits his really laid back personality and quite 'arty' look. Also, Minsky for short suits him.

---

Other cats:

Chaska - we found her when she was one day old, abondoned by her mum as the runt of the litter. So we raised her by hand, so wanted to pick out a special name for her. My sister did some research online and found that Chaska is the Peruvian Goddess of Princesses. And it's a very pretty, unusual name :)

Sophie - we rescued her from Cp and her name was Selina (ick). At my ballet class there was a girl called Sophie and I kept calling HER selina, and the cat sophie. So it stuck! And she is such a wee pretty thing.

Hreow
15-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Rover - named by Better Half. Can you guess he's a dog person? ^^He was called Sleepy by the breeder as a "kennel-name". I only use his name when I'm wanting him to come home, otherwise its Kitten, Kittens, Cat, Fluffule, Monster, Bigfoot etc. depending on mood and occasion. :D

All my other cats had already been named when they adopted me, and it seemed unnecessary to rename them. (See above stack of useful, occasional names for felines. :grin:)

Alison
15-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Ok here's how my cats were named.

Domino because she's black & white like a domino :lol:
Tigger because he bounced around just like Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
Shadow because he's all black, although he's looking more of a dark brown now
Peppa named after the cartoon character Peppa Pig
George named after Peppa Pig's brother in the cartoon
Candy following on from Peppa Pig, named after a friend of Peppa's in the cartoon called Candy Cat.

Phoenix
15-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Smudge because when we had her she had a black smudge on her nose
and
Beauty because I think she's beautiful! End of! :-D She was called Enid but I didn't think that name suited her.

Elaine
15-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Ghandi, god only knows why I named him that as he was anything but placid:lol:
Winston, was gonna be called Luther but felt he suited Winston better.
Mutley, just coz I thought it was cute.
Katt, because thats what she was and i couldnt think of anything else.
Eva, originally named Eva Braun Pirie Pinsent, she looked like she'd be a little Nazi cat but we couldnt obviously call her Hitler now could we? She very quickly became Eva the Diva though:lol:
Bernie, was originally to be called Jenny until we were informed he had pompoms. Jenny as in Jenny Agutter who was in the Railway children as was Bernie Cribbens. Bernie was found living on a railway in North Wales.

kado
15-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Kado is named after a lion in longleat safarri park and is also the japaneese art of flower arranging.
Guinness (who started off as tabitha ) got his name because he came from a pub.
Chester is a cartoon Character
Troy is in high school musical
Simon and Kay where named after two people we met from england when we where in america.

Kay
15-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Tilly:- was already named when we got her as she was 2 yrs old.
Tate:- was named after the film with Cher in called "Little Man Tate". He just looked like a little man when I first saw him.
Angel:- She just looked like an angel......big mistake!!!
Leila:- is a Persian name and means dark or dark as the night and although she is a tortie her black parts are very black.
Phoebe:- was named after Phoebe in friends as it is Simon's fav programme.
Kisses:- was already named and really suited it.
Jilly:- was named by her new owner from whom I had to take her back. It didn't seem fair to change her name as she was going through enough.
Ruby:- as she was a red born on a Tuesday her registered name was Tilsie Ruby Tuesday so Ruby was obvious.
Cory:- was from a character in the book "Flowers In The Attic" which I love.
Roxy:- is also a Persian name and it means "dawn of the day"
Shannon:- was named after a little girl I know.
Kirah:- is another Persian name.
Lyle:- because it goes with Tate so well. Tate & Lyle

Kazz
15-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Cleo because it suited her down to the ground not Chloe Cleo.....althjough for some reason she also in her older years became known as Daisy Mae????????????????dont ask me her idea,

Oscar was going to be Flynn/Flint and was for a while (hours)but became Oscar because it suited him and he liked it....

dumbblondie
15-07-2008, 10:35 PM
i named my kitten after his blue eyes topaz which then helped me chose his registered name aspiritous diamond

dandysmom
15-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Ok here's how my cats were named.

Domino because she's black & white like a domino :lol:
Tigger because he bounced around just like Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
Shadow because he's all black, although he's looking more of a dark brown now
Peppa named after the cartoon character Peppa Pig
George named after Peppa Pig's brother in the cartoon
Candy following on from Peppa Pig, named after a friend of Peppa's in the cartoon called Candy Cat.

Alison, does he get "rusty" from being out in the sunshine? Apparently a lot of black cats do that; Moli and I have discussed it ; her Leo and my Onyx .....

dumbblondie
15-07-2008, 10:47 PM
i ha da pet chicken called domino she was whhite apart from 3 black spots on 1 wing & 2 on the other

Grete
16-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Current Furkids :

Bubbles - She was originally called Jaffa and it didn't suit her at all so after going through many names, Bubbles suited her best and was also a memory name for Squeak's litter sister who sadly had to be PTS because of Feline Leukaemia.

Fizz - Her original name and it suits her down to the ground ;) Also it went so well with Bubbles :)

Past Cats :

Suki - She was my first cat and my dad named her Sukipookiesnackenburger ;)
Princess Tortie - Because she was so regal and a tortie ;)
Bubble & Squeak - Started off as cute names but suited them so much. Bubble was always on the go, bouncing around and Squeak had a very squeaking miaow.
Ollie - Original name when he and his brother Harley came from the RSPCA.
Harley - Originally called Hardy but it didn't suit him so he became Harley because he purred like a motorbike.
Kami - She was actually called Kamikaze Kitten because she had no fear and jumped off (and fell off) things a lot.
Quinnie - actually called Harlequin because the tortie patterns on her face looked like a Harlequin Mask.

dumbblondie
16-07-2008, 10:00 PM
wow i had a guinea pig called bubbles & i have chameleons called cammie (spelt diff 2 ur cat) & fizz

Grete
16-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Heheh very good names! :)

Hreow
22-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Ghandi, god only knows why I named him that as he was anything but placid:lol: ...

It's one of those opposites-match names. Better Half had his worst and most damaging fall off a rock-climbing route called Gandhi. Harmonious image - violent fall.