PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance

meep
10-07-2008, 01:54 PM
I hope you don't mind me asking, but could anyone advise on a good pet insurance scheme? When we got our boys from the CP two weeks ago they came with 6 weeks free insurance but I do want to scout the market before I commit to one.

Could you maybe suggest which one's you use, and if you don't mind saying, the cost each month?

I know they can sometimes be a bit tricky, as they will cover vet cover for accidents but not a developed problem such as kidney problems!

Thanks very much :)

Mags
10-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm afraid I can't advise you on Pet Insurance as I don't have Cassie insured but I thought you may like to have a look through a previous thread on Cat Insurance which was discussed earlier this year......

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25994&highlight=Pet+Insurance

I'm sure some of our members will have something to add to this later...:D

meep
10-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks Mags!

Although when I click on the link it takes me back to this thread :S Is there a bug on the page maybe?

Mags
10-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks Mags!

Although when I click on the link it takes me back to this thread :S Is there a bug on the page maybe?

Oops....sorry about that :oops:

I've edited the link for you now!! ;)

candyshandy
10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
My recommendations are:

Petplan
Axa

I have Petplan for the boys. I think it costs about £11.99 per month but it has excellent cover and they are good at paying out. I have claimed £8500 in 18 months for Fabes!!

My policy for Fabes is £6500 per condition per year for the lifetime of the condition. Oh and as long as the condition developed after you took out the insurance they will cover it. Fabes condition is kidney related.

meep
11-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks Mags and candyshandy! I read through the post you linked Mags, very handy thanks! My boys are currently with PetPlan through the 6 week free period from CP.

I got a quote from Axa and for Darcy alone it's £6 / month which seems very reasonable! However, I'm aware that it's good to have 'lifelong' cover. I can't see this mentioned anywhere. How do I know if it does provide, is it a rule of thumb that it's included or does it have to be an added extra?

charliebubs
11-07-2008, 10:28 AM
I use M&S and AXA and would recommend them :)

candyshandy
11-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Axa is for the lifetime too

EmmaG
11-07-2008, 06:03 PM
I have mine insured with Direct Line and when I have had to make a claim they have paid out without any hassle.

Fran
11-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Mine are with petplan, have had no probs at all and very quick at sorting out claims. They will also deal with your vet direct so that you don't actually need to stump up the money then claim back as some insurance companies do operate this way

tilly
11-07-2008, 09:48 PM
I am with pet plan and have never had a problem with them. They always pay even with busters ashma they pay out.

The only things to watch with insurance is that the cat is covered for the length of the problem (well up to the total which is £4000 per yer for buster)and for the life of the animal.

best of luck

Sally

meep
12-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all the feedback and help :)

I was comparing AXA and petplan, and petplan only cover up to £4,000 vet bills, but AXA cover £7,000. Also, Petplan was £10 per month whilst AXA was £7. Although in the Petplan form I did specify there were two cats, but it said the quote was for Darcy and I'm not sure if £10 was for one or both :?

I've got six week of the Pet Plan from CP left anyway so taking my time over it. They're indoor cats so not likely to get into accidents, and they're not pedigree so a lesser risk of conditions forming but I would feel so much better with some cover.

Cheers for your help everyone :) Will let you know what I choose in the end.

P.S. My brain is completely money orientated at the moment as I just got my first energy bill through in my new flat which is white meter, and OH MY. Have prices risen or WHAT?! My planned trip into town for a wee bit of shopping had to be cancelled, so I'm on Catsey instead hehehe.

charliebubs
12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Mine are with petplan, have had no probs at all and very quick at sorting out claims. They will also deal with your vet direct so that you don't actually need to stump up the money then claim back as some insurance companies do operate this way

Actually Fran I think that's at the discretion of the vets practice rather than dependent on insurance :)

My insurance companies would all pay the vets direct, but my vets don't accept that (except in emergencies or exceptional circumstances) so I always have to pay first and then claim it back. :)

meep
13-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the info Fran, and making it clear charliebubs! I've read a few threads on insurance and was getting confused about paying out etc. I'm in the process of looking for a vet now and may actually enquire straight out whether they go to the insurance company or I have to...

Diddeen
13-07-2008, 07:19 PM
I have oscar insured with Tescos.. it costs £5.90 a month ;)

meep
13-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Cheers Diddeen, will check that out too :)

mattde
27-11-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm after insurance for the two new kittens, sounds like petplan is the way to go.

Anyone had any bad experiences with petplan?