PDA

View Full Version : 2 Brothers - is one dominant?

meep
10-07-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a quick question: my two boys, Darcy and Minsky, are brothers (and about 2 - 3 years old).

Darcy is definately the more outgoing and Minsky is more independent although they are both very loving. They do clean each other, and play together. When we first got them, in the first week, all was absolutely fine.

But now, in the second - third week, I've noticed Minsky is hesitant to eat food beside Darcy and trys to eat it in the bowl on teh surface before I put it down. Also Darcy always seems to initiate the fighting (by pouncing on an unsuspecting Minsky) and if Darcy lies on our bed at night first, Minsky generally won't join him.

I'm guessing Darcy is just more dominant and there maybe is a hierarchy? So far it's done no damage. Darcy doesn't really eat Minsky's food and so he's still eating enough. And Darcy isn't being too mean - I guess maybe just asserting his leadership.

But is there anything I should watch out for, is there the possibility it could get worse, or are they just two brothers doing what brothers do? I don't want to neglect Minsky but if I'm playing with Minsky and Darcy joins in, Minsky will slink off and watch from afar!

angieh
10-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Meep - I have no experience of brothers or how they behave, but I would be surprised if one was not dominant. I would say that if they have been together all their lives that they will both be used to the hierarchy. As you say that Minsky is getting enough to eat and that you will make sure he continues to do so, I don't think that you can do anything else. Darcy asserting himself more now could be because he is feeling settled into your household. So long as there is no aggression, I should accept that that's how they are together.

meep
10-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks angieh, what you've said is just along the lines of what I was thinking. I was just a bit worried that I was treating Darcy as a 'favourite' unintentionally, and Minsky was receeding but it is hard to avoid when Darcy pushes himself in everywhere.

I'll just have to make sure my partner is there too when I play with them so as to break it up.

meep
10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
And when I say Minsky is receeding he's not really, or being shy! He's just more chilled out and will happily stay sleeping on the chair rather than come through to the bedroom and suchlike. :)

angieh
10-07-2008, 01:54 PM
We might call playing with one cat "favouritism" while the other snoozes, but I doubt whether cats would see it that way! Although I can see why you are concerned for Minsky. I'd just make sure that I made a fuss of Minsky whenever possible but not enough to annoy Darcy!

meep
10-07-2008, 01:57 PM
I'd just make sure that I made a fuss of Minsky whenever possible but not enough to annoy Darcy!

Oh the politics of owning two cats :lol:

I dont think either is too disgruntled, like you said, they probably don't notice half the time. Darcy loves to be picked up and carried around but when I do it, Minsky looks up longingly and follows me around. But then when I try and pick Minsky up (either after Darcy, before Darcy or just randomly) he doesn't seem best pleased and sticks his arms out akwardly rather than hold onto me like Darcy does. Don't know what they want, they just know they want what the other has! :roll: