PDA

View Full Version : important vet visit friday

Tink
10-07-2008, 03:32 AM
i'm going to the vet anyway to get cuddles' thyroid levels checked but i'm bringing tigger along.

his breathing is worse and he is intermittently gaping with his mouth to breathe. sometimes he goes a few seconds without breathing and wakes up gasping:(

i'm going to see two options. if they can do something like drain the swelling or give some kind of medication to make him comfortable at this stage then i'm all for keeping on as he still purrs, cuddles, and head butts...i'm so torn apart because there are moments where his eyes glaze over or he wakes up and meows like he is confused where he is...then he's totally himself again..i know that's not good but i don't know if it's only because of the fluid in the tumor..they took blood out last time which helped alot but i'm not sure if it's beyond that?:(

if they can't do anything for him, i am going to help him cross the bridge. i think i will feel that for sure it's time if he has to go on struggling like that for breath and i won't have doubts or guilt. if that's the case, i won't hesitate to put him at peace, even if it breaks my heart it would be what to do if i truly loved him and i do.

so..we could go home and have him for awhile longer in good spirits...or i could go home with an empty carrier.

either way, any support would make me feel better. i just need to talk.

meep
10-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Tink I'm so sorry to hear about tigger :(

Even though it hurts so much, it seems in your heart you do know what's best and you only have Tigger's well-being and happiness in mind. It's best to see what the vet says, but whatever decision you make, you know you've given him an amazing life and in his moments of clarity he's still a very happy, content and loved cat.

It's not easy, but I do hope it goes ok.

Mags
10-07-2008, 11:48 AM
So sorry to hear Tigger hasn't been well Tink..:(

It's going to be a difficult vet visit for you, have a good talk with the vet......write some questions down beforehand that you may otherwise forget at the time, hopefully your vet will be completely honest with you and tell you if Tigger is in any discomfort. You are a sensible person Tink and I know whatever decision you come to will be for what's best and kindest for Tigger.

You were extremely brave and kind taking on two ailing 17 year old cats, you have given them both 4 months of love, care and cuddles....... you have done your very best for them and I know you will do the best for them when the time comes.

Stay strong Tink ((((hugs)))) .......... comforting vibes to both Tigger and Cuddles xx

PoshPuss
10-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Tink I'm sure you will do what is best for Tigger, may you have peace of mind soon. Thinking of you :(

angieh
10-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I know that you'll do what's right for Tigger. Be brave Tink and may the Great Cat bless you.

dandysmom
10-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Oh Tink! How hard for you, but I know you'll do what's necessary if it comes to that, hard as it is, it's the last gift you can give him. And the last months with you have must been like heaven to him, bless the dear old boy. Sending prayers and hopeful vibes that the time isn't yet...(((hugs)))

Tink
10-07-2008, 11:26 PM
thank you all for your kind words. the appointment will be at 4:30pm tomorrow (US pacific time) so i will update as soon as i can.
my OH is on vacation which may make it easier but as i'm solely tigger's caretaker in this house he only sees him for a minute or two in passing or spends five minutes petting him the most which is fine because he's not often home but he keeps saying "he looks fine to me" and i swear when he does see tigger he's always having a "good moment". so now i feel like he doesn't realize that it may be serious and i feel doubts and wonder if he even believes me.
either way, we will both be present as if there is treatment that is possible i want him there to know about the financial responsibilities. if tigger is really suffering, at least my OH will hear it from the horse's mouth and i will feel like i'm not going through this alone or the burden of the decision is not only on me.
i feel somewhat numb right now which i suppose is normal. we'll see how i actually feel tomorrow morning when i realize that the appt. will be soon.
anyway, thanks everyone. i just needed to talk..i'm not sure what i'm looking for but i just know i needed to talk to friends.

Jac
10-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Tink please dont worry
My boyfriend does the same thing. It has a name but at the moment it evades me. He goes to sleep snores, holds his breath and I panic. He wakes up gives a gasp and his eyes look all glazed. I think it could be the same thing. By the way my boyfriend id 52!! lol so there is hope yet.
Will be thinking about you. Please let us know how you get on.

alexgirl73
11-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Thinking of you today Tink xx

angieh
11-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Yes, I've been thinking about you too today Tink and Tigger. xx

dandysmom
11-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Me also, Tink. .....

Tink
12-07-2008, 01:54 AM
The vet's opinion is that his cyst is possibly apt and vulnerable to a sinus infection. He gave a very heavy duty antibiotic injection, we upped the prednisilone from half a pill a day to two pills twice a day, and he gave me antibiotic by the name of Baytril to give once daily as well.

The vet's opinion is not to give up yet till we see if his condition improves and he can still enjoy some more time. We are giving him a week and I have an appointment set up for next Friday afternoon. This week will determine if he wants to fight or if he wants to pass on. If he does not improve, the vet thinks it may be at the point where we've done all we can. But the least we can do is give him a chance this week and do all we can and we will see how it goes.

He laid in the sun today and basked next to me. I have taken some pictures and video that I will upload shortly for you to see. His swelling is up and the vet said we can't do anything for the cyst at this point besides the meds so you will see his face is slightly swollen but not terrible..just not as good as when he first came here and improved.

Whatever is meant to happen will happen and I feel confident that this week will leave us with no doubts about what the right thing to do is.

He is resting now and hopefully the strong antibiotic injection will give him a little kick to his immune system and he'll perk up.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I feel better that it will be Tigger's decision and not solely mind with not much information. Let's see how it goes...

PoshPuss
12-07-2008, 11:02 AM
I think your vet has been very kind to take the decision he has Tink. At least it gives you more time to decide and as yet Tigger is not in pain, maybe you and your partner can spend some quality time together and make plans.
It's going to be hard, but you have the strength and comfort from your loved ones and of course us here on the forum.
Stay in touch, blessings, Nette x

Jac
12-07-2008, 11:37 AM
At lease you have some more special time with him. Who knows he may be ok. Lets hope so. Thinking about you xx

angieh
12-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Healing vibes for Tigger - antibiotics can work wonders. Fingers crossed.

dandysmom
12-07-2008, 04:25 PM
You must have an excellent vet! I like the way (s)he''s suggested you handle things; and your decision to let Tigger pretty much make the choice. But am praying that the antibiotics will work and that you'll have more time with the dear old boy. Healing vibes here too, and prayers. (((hugs)))

Mags
12-07-2008, 05:29 PM
It's good to hear the vet is doing all he possibly can for Tigger........I hope you see some difference with him having the stronger AB injection .

You have been marvellous Tink, you have fought for the best for Tigger whereas many people would have given up.

Enjoy Tigger this coming week and whatever the outcome is now, you have done your very best for him ......and Tigger will let you know when enough is enough. No need to blame yourself for anything, be proud that you have done your utmost for him these past 4 months and cherish the memories you have of him..

Tink
12-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Good news today...well actually since last night..the swelling looks smaller and he is talking up a storm! he's actually being a little pest (i say that lovingly) and following me around making demands..this is great! i HAD to let you know!!!!!!

dandysmom
12-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing that; I know I'm not the only one to be delighted!!

PoshPuss
13-07-2008, 08:44 AM
fab news Tink :D He's a little trooper is that Tigger :-D

Mags
13-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Wonderful news Tink! :D