PDA

View Full Version : Hooded cat boxes..

Moli
09-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Murphy has an ordinary cat litter tray, but.....he makes a real mess everytime he uses it, scatters the litter everywhere...
Do you think he would use a covered tray??

Elaine
09-07-2008, 10:00 PM
He might do, actually now you mention this can i hijack your thread a wee bit?
Candyshandy bought a really good, really large enclosed litter box for Sol, CS, can you tell me again where you got it from please?

random
09-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Some of mine will and some won't so we have some of each and they have all been introduced as kittens, just some never took to it, Vitaani WILL NOT use the hooded one and would rather do it anywhere else. Kiara really scrats when she goes and so does Anakin, mind he is getting better, Kiara is 3 so i don't expect her to changer her ways!

Sorry not much help, you could always give him a go and perhaps use just the base to being with 'til he is used to that as they tend to have much higher sides than a regular box and then put the lid on without the door and gradually build up to putting the door on?

Moli
09-07-2008, 11:32 PM
My lot have 2 hooded ones, and use them no bother, just with Murphy being partially sighted, wondered if he would in fact use one...

dandysmom
09-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Can't be helpful here as I've always used just a plain one, and never had any cats who were really enthustastic scatterers......

meep
10-07-2008, 11:41 AM
We got one of the really large hooded ones from zooplus.co.uk, it has a charcoal odour neturaliser although they won't use it with the cat-flap door on so we had to take that out and now the odour neutraliser is a bit redundant :roll:

Minsky is quite fussy with litter and like the box to be maintained and clean. With the standard, simple tray he'll wait till I've removed any poop before he uses it and won't use it if Darcy has been for a pee in the past hour or so (must be the smell). So, with the hooded one, he'll only use it once then not use it again. The hood, as you can imagine, traps in all the smell and there's really poor ventilation so whilst it does really help with mess, I have to keep an uncovered one out beside it for my fussy boy :lol:

So it is worth considernig whether the lack of ventilation and smell would put them off - it can't be very nice going in a hooded toilet that doesnt get any fresh air!

Moli
10-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Success!!!I bought him a hooded one without the door on it, he is using it, and there is no mess!!

dandysmom
10-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Woo hoo, Moli! Are you absolutely positively 100% certain he's not staying?

Moli
10-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Woo hoo, Moli! Are you absolutely positively 100% certain he's not staying?
I am 200% sure he is not staying DM............