PDA

View Full Version : please help with litter tray problem

swerv
09-07-2008, 09:15 PM
boy has developed a liking to going to the toilet next to the litter tray and we cant stop him doing it, i cant think of any reason why he is doing this, he has been like this for about 1 month now and its driving us mad!!

we have tried 2 litter trays now

we have tried cat repelant on the areas he is doing it in

we change the litter twice a day(its wood chippings)

i find it strange he will wee right next to the tray? then obviously try and stratch it up!!

he is still all intact if this matters, he dont spray but we think he may be marking?

how do we re-train?

thanks for any help given
salv

meep
10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
A possible cause is a urinary tract infection? Cats show very little outward signs of such things, they're very discreet, but they will associate the pain of an infection when peeing with the litter tray so will avoid the litter tray as in their mind litter tray = pain!

Also, if he stops going entirely you need to get him to a vet. Male cats especially need to go regularly or it can cause serious problems.

Not trying to worry you! If it is just an infection, antibiotics will cure it much like a human infection.

Or you could try and change the litter first? I've heard that woodchip can put them off cause it gets stuck in their claws? Unless that's what he's always used?

swerv
15-07-2008, 09:25 PM
thanks, we took him to the vets on saturday we had treated with anti-biotics and anti-inflamentry's incase it was a water infection, they were very helpfull and advised it may be more a behaviour problem rather than medical.

we have booked him in to have his bits chopped as hopefully this will calm him down a bit as well!!

meep
16-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Good to hear that they've been checked by the vet and all is ok swerv :) Hopefully it'll die down, and having their bits chopped will definately help as if it is behavioural, he's probably marking his territory (wise boy). Keep us updated!

Mags
16-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Hopefully things will improve once he's neutered...:D

jenng
16-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I had this problem with my cat she used to we and poo outside the tray, I changed the cat litter from wood chip and she started useing her tray again maybe he does not like wood chip.:)
Jenny