PDA

View Full Version : What's it like to own a cloned cat?

Samz5
09-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Thought you guys/girls would be interested in reading this article !
http://www.thepurrcompany.com/cat-articles/index.php?id=84

I thought it was so interesting to hear first hand from someone who actually owns a cloned cat, especially how his old cats reacted to the smells of the cloned cat and accepted him into the family so quickly!

angieh
09-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks so much for posting that link Samz5 - the possibilities!

PoshPuss
09-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks that was a great link and some other informative articles there too :)

Samz5
09-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I think this really proves that when introducing a new cat into a household that smells are so very important to cats, so all the work you have to do like wiping a towel (or whatever) on the new cat and getting your older cats to get used to its smell really does have a big effect!
Also the cloned kitten playing with the same toys as the cat he was cloned from is really strange too, it could be scent related or some kind of genetic preference. Its a shame we don't hear more from people who have actually got a cloned cat!

dandysmom
09-07-2008, 04:44 PM
What a fascinating article, thanks so much for linking that! I don't think I'd want a cloned cat (not that I could ever afford one!), but I fear I'd keep comparing it to the former cat, expecting it to be like him; that wouldn't be fair to the new little one. The old nature versus nurture question....

dumbblondie
15-07-2008, 10:40 PM
but why have a cloned pet? there r pets that r in real need of homes

Samz5
16-07-2008, 11:34 AM
The debate on if we should clone cats or not is a different matter really, there are so few cats who are actually cloned for pets, as it costs so much and I'd imagine its a long process.
I'm sure the pet cloning industry isn't increasing the amount of pets needing re-homing in the slightest, besides people who can afford to clone their cat are wealthy enough to buy pedigree pets and are unlikely to go and get rescue pet instead.
There are many moral dilemmas surrounding cloning of any animal, but its happening anyway so all we can do is try and learn from it.