PDA

View Full Version : Feline Arthritis

Phoenix
01-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I wanted to post this in Articles but it wouldn't let me so I'm posting it here for the moment.

Arthritis in Cats

Symptoms:

Stiffness when walking and getting up
In obvious pain when walking
Is very reluctant to jump

Diagnosis:

Your vet will examine your cat and will gently move his (the cat’s) back and hips to see how serious the arthritis is.

Causes:

Arthritis can be caused by:

Infections
Accidents
Old age

They are the main ones, but there are other reasons for a cat to get arthritis. Arthritis comes in two categories, traumatic arthritis and osteoarthritis.

Traumatic arthritis can be cause by something like a road accident, due to fighting with another cat, or by falling awkwardly.

Osteoarthritis can be caused by repeated traumatic arthritis, joint dislocation, or due to old age.

Treatment

The vet may prescribe Do It Yourself treatments, such as massaging the affected limbs, weight control, exercise or warmth.

Another treatment the vet may prescribe, is Vitamin C, Glucosamine, Corticosteroids, or drugs.

Most forms of arthritis can’t be cured, but can be treated and help you cat to live out a relatively pain-free, happier life.

You may find it beneficial to search for “Feline arthritis” on Google, to find out more about arthritis in felines.

dandysmom
01-07-2008, 09:33 PM
That's an interesting and informative post; I was unaware of traumatic arthritis; also did not know that vitamin C was one of the treatments. I wish I'd known more about it in Misty's day (pre-computer) ; she had it. Thanks for posting!

Mags
01-07-2008, 09:38 PM
I have PM'd you RCR....

Phoenix
01-07-2008, 09:39 PM
I have PM'd you RCR....

Thanks! :D Greatly appreciated! :D