PDA

View Full Version : What to expect

Phoenix
28-06-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm starting this thread so I know what to look for when it's time to let go and what to expect when Beauty goes.

Anyone had any cats pts and what happened (I'm not being morbid - it's for future reference so I know when it's time and what to expect)

Elaine
28-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Beauty may well be around for some time to come, you MUST be guided by your vets on when it is time to let her go if you are unsure yourself.
As for my personal experience of making that dreaded decision myself, you are welcome to view the old posts about my dear old Winston but I dont really wish to go over old ground as it is always painful to discuss, even as we have moved on, Winston remains in my heart always.
Its not unreasonable to try to prepare yourself and I will direct you once AGAIN to the felinecrf.org site as it has a section dedicated to this very subject which you may care to read.
On a little more possitive note, please DO try to remain in the here and now and do what is best for Beauty in the mean time, also ENJOY her companionship.

dandysmom
28-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Sultan was a very healthy cat,. never sick a day in his life, and with a very hearty appetite. When he suddenly became mopy and wouldn't eat, we went to the vet, he had to be admitted for tests. It turned out he had a fungal lung infection called actinomyces (not sure of spelling); at that time (late 80s) there was no treatment, and he was not going to make it....so, the awful decision.

I held him on my lap and lied like crazy, told him we were going home and that he would have roast chicken (his favorite) for dinner and would take a nice long walk on his harness afterwards...tears running down my cheeks as I talked; Dr. injected him and he just went to sleep forever. I was offered the option of cremation but refused; he was going to be buried in his back yard by the peony bushes where he used to sit lying in wait for birds.
It was one of the hardest things I have ever done, and to this day I get choked up and teary describing it.

I hope and pray it will be many many years before you need to make that decision.....

MrsH
28-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Unfortunately, over the years, we've had to have 4 cats and a dog pts. The "when" has to be judged by you, the owner, and it's such a painful decision to have to make. In our experience, it became clear each time that our pet was suffering, would not get any better, and was struggling each day to try to cope.

Our vets were always very gentle with our pets and us, and explained what would happen. The very first time I was taken aback at how quickly it happened, only a few seconds really. A small area was shaved on the leg and an injection given into the vein, on each occasion our pet was relaxed, gently closed her eyes and appeared to fall peacefully asleep. It was a real comfort to us to be able to hold our pets and whisper to them as they slipped away. We didn't bring our pets home for burial although that option was given, the vet sent us Sympathy cards a few days later. It was horrible bringing the empty basket home.

dandysmom
28-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Unfortunately, over the years, we've had to have 4 cats and a dog pts. The "when" has to be judged by you, the owner, and it's such a painful decision to have to make. In our experience, it became clear each time that our pet was suffering, would not get any better, and was struggling each day to try to cope.

Our vets were always very gentle with our pets and us, and explained what would happen. The very first time I was taken aback at how quickly it happened, only a few seconds really. A small area was shaved on the leg and an injection given into the vein, on each occasion our pet was relaxed, gently closed her eyes and appeared to fall peacefully asleep. It was a real comfort to us to be able to hold our pets and whisper to them as they slipped away. We didn't bring our pets home for burial although that option was given, the vet sent us Sympathy cards a few days later. It was horrible bringing the empty basket home.

It consoles me to think he knew what I was saying and went to the long sleep thinking of his favorite meal and a walk...

Phoenix
29-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Beauty may well be around for some time to come, you MUST be guided by your vets on when it is time to let her go if you are unsure yourself.
As for my personal experience of making that dreaded decision myself, you are welcome to view the old posts about my dear old Winston but I dont really wish to go over old ground as it is always painful to discuss, even as we have moved on, Winston remains in my heart always.
Its not unreasonable to try to prepare yourself and I will direct you once AGAIN to the felinecrf.org site as it has a section dedicated to this very subject which you may care to read.
On a little more possitive note, please DO try to remain in the here and now and do what is best for Beauty in the mean time, also ENJOY her companionship.

Which I am doing!

charliebubs
29-06-2008, 06:14 PM
It's never an easy decision even when you know deep down that it's the right one. I agree with Elaine that you have to be guided by your vets.

I had Midas pts 2 years ago almost to the day due to CRF. I was with him when it happened, holding him in my arms and talking to him.

I did chose to have him cremated and had a special casket made for his ashes.

He will never be forgotten and it is still hard talking about it now. :cry:

dandysmom
29-06-2008, 08:02 PM
It's never an easy decision even when you know deep down that it's the right one. I agree with Elaine that you have to be guided by your vets.

I had Midas pts 2 years ago almost to the day due to CRF. I was with him when it happened, holding him in my arms and talking to him.

I did chose to have him cremated and had a special casket made for his ashes.

He will never be forgotten and it is still hard talking about it now. :cry:

Charlie, it will be. It's been close to 20 years now and I still find it hard.......:(

Kim
29-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Over the years we have had 2 dogs and about 10 cats pts. You just know when the time is right and cannot bear to see them suffer any longer. Of course you will also be guided by your vet. I must admit I try not to think about this unless I have to. I just enjoy them while they are here.

babycakes
30-06-2008, 09:12 PM
My old boy had an inoperable tumour in his tummy and he lasted for a good while, however he got weaker and we knew it wouldn't be long. You do know when. It doesn't make it any easier but the vet was fantastic and he went to the bridge while snuggled in my arms.