PDA

View Full Version : suckling and licking

kitty cats
27-06-2008, 09:46 PM
this might sound strange but have any of you ever come across a kitty that still suckles as if it were with its mother when it is sleepy and purring?
Tibby loves to nuzzle into my neck when he wants a cuddle but he finds it impossible to leave it at that he always starts kneading his paws as they all do and suckling at my neck, he really works at it and if he can get hold of a bit of flesh he actually sucks it as a child would suck a dummy or thumb.if hes not up round my neck he'll do it to my hand he doesnt do this with any one else but me.
he wasn't taken from his mum early or had anything traumatic happen in that department, everything has been perfectly normal from the start, so is it just a comfort thing, hes only 12 weeks old or could it be something else, though i dont know what, just a little quirk of his
it doesnt bother me as i love to get his cuddles, hes extremely affectionate but just wondering if any one else has experienced it and has ideas about the reasons behind it or maybe its not so unusual?
im so used to Jake who wont even sit on our laps!
;)

angieh
27-06-2008, 11:38 PM
I don't know Kitty Cats, but I would presume it's a comfort thing for Tibby - I would think it's quite nice that he trusts you so and finds comfort as he would from his feline mummy. He might just grow out of it.

Kay
27-06-2008, 11:47 PM
3 of mine do this to varying degrees.

Cory was taking away from his mum, due to her health, early so I can understand why he does it. He kneads you and sucks your clothing. He is nearly three years old.

Angel in effect had three mothers so was never lacking in motherly attention. She is a terrible kneader and occassionally sucks. She can become very obsessive about it and quite often will not settle because of it. She is 6 years old.

Leila is a compulsive licker, or kisser as I like to call it. She constantly wants to lick you especially on the face. She will even turn your head to face you so she can really concentrate on it. She is five years old and I think she is just trying to mother you as she is the best mother ever.

I think cats do it for varying reasons but I am glad mine do.

PoshPuss
28-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Posh usually wants all the attention on her, you know, stroke me , fuss me etc. Lately she's taken to licking hands when being stroked, also washing the dog's paws, which is cute ;) Guess she has times when she likes to give as well as take :D

Kim
29-06-2008, 05:27 PM
My cat Rosie did this for some time. She had a fleecy bed and there was a little part that she continually sucked. Sidney 'kneads' my daughter all the time, he takes this very seriously! He doesn't actually suckle though. I wouldn't worry about it, I think some cats just like this comfort.

charliebubs
29-06-2008, 06:06 PM
My dad's cat, Leo, does it too. He kneads and suckles. I think it's quite cute and kinda wish mine did it!!! :)

Alison
30-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Shadow does it to my dressing gown, nothing else just that. He's done it ever since I've had him.

babycakes
30-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I had a cat who always did this even up til he was 18. But he was dumped on my doorstep at around 2 days old so we were his surrogate mother which he (and his brother) probably thought

Hreow
01-07-2008, 09:24 AM
It can be a sign that the cat has lost it's mother early, but it is also because we allow our cats to retain kitten-like behaviour, should they wish to.
It seems to be a comfort thing to the cats who do it (Rover does as well - clawless trampling or he gets told off, and earlobe-suckling if he can get away with it.) and I don't think there is anything wrong with it as such.

sgw1988
10-07-2008, 03:10 PM
both of my kittens knead, one more than the other. they both lick me when stroking them and one will even clean your hair for you like she does for her sister!!

danits_24
10-07-2008, 09:10 PM
What a cutey... my cat just loves to sit on me and lick my neck and my hand... and if I don't let her, she reaches out to bring my hand close to her mouth. It's so funny to see her do so... :p

random
10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Yes Anakin does but he seems to be growing out of it, whereas he would lick every time you held him, it now seems he would rather chew on your hand than lick it but still does it occasionally.