PDA

View Full Version : when can kitty go out?

mogs
27-06-2008, 02:56 PM
hi,

I'm wondering what age your kittens have been before letting them out to explore! I will be so scared she won't come back.

She will need her jabs first too.

mogs.

Mags
27-06-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm sure many members will be along with there views soon but in the meantime here's the link to a thread where we have discussed this subject in the past........

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=23948&highlight=kitten%2C+age%2C+outdoors

kitty cats
27-06-2008, 03:36 PM
health wise its 3 weeks after their last vaccination so at around 15 weeks of age
I always do it slowly, go out into the garden with them and dont let them stray alone until they are used to all the new noises out there
i find it really hard to let them go and will be holding on to Tibby indoors as long as i can, he gets his final jab this afternoon so technically in 3 weeks he can go out but.....i might wait a bit, till he's bigger
of course if you have a female it would be wise to keep her in until she's been spayed to avoid an unwanted litter, and with boys, they may be more likely to stray until theyve been neutered so thats around 6 months
its a difficult decision and always hard to let go!

Hreow
27-06-2008, 03:51 PM
If the jabs have been administered and have had a chance to take, you could always use a harness-and-lead to keep them safe (for as long as it takes to wriggle out, in a panic but that is longer than you have without the string) for the first outings. You'll need to train H&L indoors first, though.

mogs
27-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Gosh!!! I hadn't even thought of kittens!!!!

thanks for the advice, she's having her first jab tomorrow and thereafter 3 weeks, second lot. so in 6 weeks, making her 16 weeks old she will be allowed out.

BUT what age can they be spayed? my bengal was so noisey (trying to attract a male) that she had to be done. (Ican't remember how old she was)

mogs.

kitty cats
27-06-2008, 04:46 PM
BUT what age can they be spayed?
mogs.

they can be spayed from 6 months onwards ;)

candyshandy
27-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I would advise you keep her in until she is spayed - girls can mature quickly. She would also be way too young to be a Mum.

xx

Nutmegsmum
28-06-2008, 11:00 PM
We allowed Nutmeg out supervised when she was aged 1, Beau I am going to keep in until the garden is cat proofed, he accidently got out today and was gone within seconds, we got him back quickly but it taught us a couple of lessons, 1) he is as fast as lightening, 2) we dont think he is mature enough to go out, 3) we need to be extra vigilant as he got out today by being very sneaky and he was up and over our neighbours garden within seconds.

mogs
29-06-2008, 11:48 AM
hi, nutmegs mum,

thats what worries me..... they are so quick, I have a very busy household.... Lots of doors and windows open!

Well, her jabs were fine and SHE definately is a GIRL. :-D Previous girl cat turned out to be a boy after the visit to the vets. :oops: All very :oops:

mogs.