PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Beauty eating

Phoenix
27-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Beauty's appetite has plummeted. She's still eating, but very little. She's losing quite a bit of weight, it may be because of the prescription food (ie she doesn't like it so she barely eats it)

So I need advice on what to do. Either I can let her continue barely eating the prescription food (and half starve herself) or I can give her some of her old food and risk her kidneys getting worse quickly.

Can anyone post advice please? Preferably today? I'm getting worried. I'm not sure which is the better of the two evils!

angieh
27-06-2008, 12:19 PM
What is the diet food that Beauty has been prescribed? Would it be possible to change to another brand of food that does the same thing? Could you ring your vet and ask if there is an alternative - and tell the vet that you are very worried that Beauty is not eating nearly enough?

This is sad news, and I do sympathise ((((HUGS))))

Phoenix
27-06-2008, 12:23 PM
It's Hills KD that Beauty is supposed to eat.

In sheer desperation to try to get her to eat something this morning I put some Applaws wet food down, she's eaten some of it!

angieh
27-06-2008, 12:34 PM
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Hills_Prescription_Diet_Feline.html#a957

I've just posted the above link as a reference - if you scroll down the page, there seems to be about 4 types of Hills KD - which one have you tried?

Phoenix
27-06-2008, 12:39 PM
KD Original (both wet and dried. The dried she eats but reluctantly and the wet she won't touch)

angieh
27-06-2008, 12:46 PM
I see that you have read Elaine's article on CRF, but I have just re-read it and I would give her advice on feeding a go. I do not have practical experience of nursing a cat with this problem, but Elaine has had with her dear Winston. I would go and read her article again RCR. Best of luck to you and Beauty.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?p=487266#post487266

Phoenix
27-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I see that you have read Elaine's article on CRF, but I have just re-read it and I would give her advice on feeding a go. I do not have practical experience of nursing a cat with this problem, but Elaine has had with her dear Winston. I would go and read her article again RCR. Best of luck to you and Beauty.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?p=487266#post487266

OK!

By the way is applaws OK for Beauty with her kidney problems? (not to eat all the time but just as a measure to get her to have some wet food)?

angieh
27-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Sorry, can't really say RCR - you'd have to look at the ingredients on the packages of both types of food and compare them.

Phoenix
27-06-2008, 12:55 PM
OK going to have a look!

Hopefully it won't cause any more damage to her kidneys! :(

Phoenix
27-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Beauty's slowly eaten about half the tin now (throughout the whole day).

Usually by now she'd have eaten all the tin of food!

dandysmom
27-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I'd call the vet and discuss it with him; perhaps he could change to another food that wouldn't be bad for her kidneys and that she would eat. She must really dislike this one to be eating so poorly. Maybe she needs to be looked at again and some blood work done. I've had no experience with a CRF cat; wish I could be more helpful ......do keep us posted how she's doing!

Elaine
28-06-2008, 09:42 AM
It is much more important that Beauty EATS SOMETHING rather than NOTHING or very little. Right now i wouldnt worry too much about the prescription foods, just get her eating. There are different brands of food for CRF cats that you may want to try. Applaws will be fine for now as it is relatively low in phosphorus.
You may also want to discuss the use of Phos binders with your vet.
Try heating her food a little with a small amount of boiled water. Sometimes the stronger the food smells the more likely thay are to eat it, maybe try a little sardine just ti give her a kick start.
Its a viscous cycle, they dont eat because of the toxin build up, they feel icky, but by getting them to eat helps them to feel less icky.

Elaine
28-06-2008, 09:50 AM
http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#high_phosphorus

http://www.felinecrf.org/tinned_food.htm#choosing_a_food

Please read these links, its important for Beauty that you learn about her illness and learn fast. Its also a good idea to take a note of everything, even the smallest changes of behaviour and demenour can be a good indication of whats going on with her. Everything is relevant.

candyshandy
28-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Completely agree with Elaine, don't stress about the kind of food just get her to eat. You should also discuss the phos binders with your vet, my Fabes is due to start these next week.

dandysmom
28-06-2008, 04:33 PM
How is she doing today?

Phoenix
28-06-2008, 07:42 PM
I've put some tuna down for her (in spring water with a little bit of water added) but she's not eaten any of it!

She's had a little bit of liver, and a little bit of dried! :cat19

dandysmom
28-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Will she eat sardines?

angieh
28-06-2008, 08:32 PM
When Merlin was really poorly, I poached chicken breast in water for him and hand fed him with it. I did the same with white fish, but that's a bit more tricky to handle.

Do hope you manage to get some food into her - don't give up, I do know how worrying it is. Stay with her and talk to her if that seems to help her eat.

Phoenix
28-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Will she eat sardines?

The only fish she likes is tuna. If it's fishy and not tuna she doesn't want it.

Phoenix
28-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I've finally managed to coax Beauty to have a tiny bit of tuna.

dandysmom
28-06-2008, 08:46 PM
That's good. hope she'll eat a bit more.....

Phoenix
28-06-2008, 08:53 PM
She's slowly munched her way through the tuna.

Hope I can update you all tomorrow (for the better!)

angieh
28-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Finger crossed RCR - come on Beauty, you'll feel better if you eat your lovely tuna.

Amber
28-06-2008, 09:19 PM
As Elaine has said it's most important that at least she eats something at the moment.

However if she's not enjoyed the Hills Kd, maybe you could consider Royal Canin Renal? The wet variety comes in pouches which are available in chicken, beef and more recently tuna, and I'm sure they do a pate form aswell although I'm not 100& on that. They also do a dry variety if that's what she prefers.

x x x x

Phoenix
29-06-2008, 01:29 PM
I've coaxed Beauty to have a few pieces of dried, 2 teaspoons of applaws and a tablespoon of tuna this morning. Nearly what she usually eats! :D

dandysmom
29-06-2008, 04:24 PM
More good news! Her appetite seems to be slowly improving; may it continue!!!

Phoenix
30-06-2008, 08:45 PM
This morning she ate what she usually does in a morning.

This afternoon she ate less, but roughly the amount she should eat (give or take a few mouthfuls)

She had 1 bowl of dried, then started on another one! :D :D :D :D :D

HappyKatz
30-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Hopefully her appetite keeps getting better *crossing fingers & paws*

Elaine
30-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Way to go Beauty:D
Do you happen to have a note of what her blood results were, i.e. creatinine, urea etc?

Phoenix
30-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I asked the vet if he could write down in Beauty's health book everything that he's done with Beauty, so maybe it's in there. If not I'll ask the vet when I see him.

Elaine
30-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I always used to ask for a copy of Winstons blood results, I found it very helpful to have them and keep a record of how the crf was progressing.;)

Elaine
05-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Is she eating now?

Phoenix
05-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Yep! I've started giving her tuna again, today she's had her worming tablet in it and was very good! Ate all the tuna (crushed tablet and all) and just about licked the bowl clean! Making up for lost time! :D

*dances around the room with Beauty*

angieh
05-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Well done Beauty - keep it up girlie!

dandysmom
05-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Good girl, Beauty! Had us a tad worried there for a bit!

Phoenix
13-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Yesterday and this morning Beauty's appetite plummeted again, so until dinner I had to force feed her to get some food down her (otherwise it would have been 24 hours since she had anything)

At dinnertime she started eating by herself again.

dandysmom
13-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Has it been unusually hot there? Leia sometimes eats less in really hot weather.....

Phoenix
13-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Has it been unusually hot there? Leia sometimes eats less in really hot weather.....

No, it's been a little bit sunny but quite cool as well! And it was tuna I was trying to feed her and she wasn't eating!

She's managed a little bit of dried today, and a little bit of tuna as well (less than a tablespoonful)

Phoenix
14-07-2008, 02:12 PM
She's eating normally again now! :D

With her tuna, at any rate!