PDA

View Full Version : Whiskas kitten food digestive problems?

kitty cats
25-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi
I've always fed my cat Whiskas with no problems, dry and pouches since he was a kitten, hes now 4 years old, we recently got a new kitten and naturally put him onto whiskas kitten food, he's had this for the last 5 weeks and seems to have been fine, hes 12 weeks old now this last week though he's had not complete diarrhea, excuse the description but soft almost like cow pat consistancy motions, hes still full of energy, putting on weight, has been wormed with a wormer from the vet, just doing everything as normal except his poo
ive been looking around online and it seems a lot of people have problems with whiskas upsetting their cats and kittens tummies, could he have developed an allergy to whiskas out of the blue? hes not been eating anything else and drinks only water and theres just nothing else that could have upset his tummy.
ive been advised to give him just plain chicken for 24 or so hours to see if his tummy settles, if it does would it be unwise to return to whiskas? should i maybe try to put him onto a different food such as Iams or Hills science diet? i hear these are higher quality and less prone to upsetting tummies than whiskas.
sorry its a bit long! thanks for any advice anyone can give :D

charliebubs
26-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Hello :)

I have to say that personally I don't feed Whiskers as I do think it's too rich for some cats' tummies and I'd rather not take the risk.

Of the "supermarket" brands I would definitely choose Felix over Whiskers - particularly Felix in jelly - as it's not as rich.

Having said that............supermarket foods in general are not the greatest in terms of nutritional content and they have a lot of artificial additives & colourings. Plus lots of sugars and salts. If you think about a cat's original wild diet - they would never consume sugers and salts, so why do we feed them in cat foods!?!?! :?

If you are able to feed them something other than "supermarket" foods you could see that it has a good impact on their health. There are lots of brands out there (which you can get in pet shops or online) that are natural and contain no additives or artificial things.

As for changing your cat's diet now.........I agree with what you've been told...........cooking chicken and/or fish is a great idea and should settle the tummy quickly. Once the poos :oops: are normal again you can wean back onto cat food - I'd do this gradually and go back to chicken if a loose poo appears again ;)

If you can't be bothered with cooking chicken all the time you can buy a special diet, which is essentially the same thing made by Royal Canin. You can only get it from your vets or online though. Here's a link..........

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/prod5.asp?prod_id=1680&id=146&grpid=1680&msg=&offset=#prod_anchor

Hope that's helped!!!! :)

kitty cats
26-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi

thanks very much for your advice and views!

as I said ive always given my older cat whiskas, hes 4 now and always seems to have been alright on it, having said that he has put on a few pounds more than he should as hes grown up. someone on here yesterday described whiskas as the equivelant to mac donalds, no wonder hes putting on the weight :-P
i really was unaware of the differences in 'supermarket' foods and other higher quality foods, having read the nutritional label on the whiskas i was shocked to see theres only 4% meat content! theyre meat eaters yet theres very little in it!
anyway i spent ages this morning in our big pet shop reading labels and looking at all the foods, i think they were wondering what i was doing hehe
ive found one by hills science plan called 'nature's best' and it seems to read pretty good nutritionally, certainly way improved on whiskas.
they do this one for kittens and adult cats too so im going to see how he gets on with this once his tummy is settled, also going to change my other grown up cat onto the same brand if it suits him
just seems altogether better for them than the supermarket ones, ok so its a little more expensive but not by much and besides if its better for them then so be it :D

sooo hopefully the little ones tummy will settle on this chicken then ill gradually get them both onto science plan nature's best if it suits.

once again thanks for your advice and thanks to everyone here who has helped me understand the nutritional values on the labels and how important they can be :-D

really good site, very friendly ;)

charliebubs
26-06-2008, 06:51 PM
We're always glad to help :)