PDA

View Full Version : Tate's 1st check up

Kay
25-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Tate is going for his first check up after the second op. Hopefully everything is in order and this works. He is so miserable and quiet bless him. But at least he is eating and drinking so things can't be that bad.
I am also taking one of his daughters, probably Jilly, to get her heart listened to just in case. Fingers crossed there is no murmur there.

angieh
25-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Fingers, toes and eyes all crossed that Tate's daughter is well and that Tate's check up also goes well. Glad to hear that he is eating and drinking OK - that has to be a positive sign. When is his appointment Kay?

yola
26-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Oh I do hope Tate's check up shows that he's improving. Best of luck with Jilly too. It must be very worrying for you Kay.

charliebubs
26-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Everything crossed here too, Kay.

Hope the check up goes well. Please do let us know. :)

Kay
26-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone.

Tate went for his check up this afternoon and Ceri seemed very pleased with his eye. The stitches are still in place and although he still has a discharge from his eye it is a lot better.

Jilly had her heart listened to and everything is clear, no murmur. She will have to have yearly checks until they come up with a DNA test for Persians. Hopefully it won't be that long as that would be a one off test for hereditary HCM.

angieh
26-06-2008, 11:31 PM
So glad Jilly is clear at the moment and that Tate's stitches are still intact.

Healing vibes still winging their way to Anglesey for Tate and for your too Kay - what a worry our feline friends are, pedigree or moggie!

charliebubs
27-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh that's all good news Kay - what a relief. :)

I do hope that they come up with a HCM test for Persians soon. Are they working on one, do you know?

The more I've read about HCM the worrying it is. :(

Fran
27-06-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm glad all is going well Kay, hopefully Tate will continue to improve now, fingers crossed x

Kay
27-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks again for all your kind words and thoughts.

Charlie, they can perform the DNA test they use for Ragdolls or Maine coons but if they result is clear they can only tell you it is clear for the gene mutation that has been identified in those two breeds. The problem is it could be a totally different mutate gene in Persians and that is what we have to wait for. Know idea how long that will be though.

Kazz
27-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Pleased all is going well Kay, they do seem to be improving on these "gene" tests though don't they....only good news really instead of the worry, waiting for symptoms/signs.

Glad all is going well.

yola
27-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Good news on both fronts. I hope dear Tate continues to improve.

Kay
27-06-2008, 11:18 PM
azz, these DNA tests are amazing and a real help in a serious breeding programme. Unfortunately the tests in this country cost anything up to 4 times the price of the service abroad. Mine are done in Australia!!!!

Thanks Yola.

Kazz
27-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I agree Kay have the same with SBT a test that hopefuly will prevent people breeding two carrier together and therefore hopefuly eliminating a "debilitating" degenerative disease in the breed.

But the prices have come down drasticaly in this country since it was "publicised" about 2 years ago. So much so that people from USA and Australia send their tests here, odd eh?

Hope yours does the same.The wonders of modern medicine.

Kay
27-06-2008, 11:53 PM
That would be brilliant if the prices were lowered here but somehow I doubt it. The PKD test if done here, depending on your vets costs about £75 if you send it to Australia it costs £18, depending on the exchange rate. Not only that but you get the results back a lot earlier from the other side of the world.

candyshandy
28-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Really pleased to hear Tate is doing well Kay. Hope the healing process continues.

xxxxx

PoshPuss
28-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Me too Kay! Sending Tate good wishes and I hope the tests continue to give welcome news.

Kay
28-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks Candice and Nette. It is Shannon's turn next week so fingers crossed for her.

Kazz
28-06-2008, 01:26 PM
That would be brilliant if the prices were lowered here but somehow I doubt it. The PKD test if done here, depending on your vets costs about £75 if you send it to Australia it costs £18, depending on the exchange rate. Not only that but you get the results back a lot earlier from the other side of the world.

Strange world we live in.............:roll:

Kay
28-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Strange world we live in.............:roll:

Definitely Kazz.......;)