PDA

View Full Version : Fire starter, twisted fire starter

Elaine
25-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Does any one here have a real fire?
Can you tell me how to build one and get it lit?
Its freezing in the evenings here, cuddling into SuzyQ is good but she kicks:?
I have tried to get the fire going but with no success.:lol:

Moli
25-06-2008, 11:51 AM
I always did it wil kindling and paper,scrunch the paper up into ball, put it in first, then add kindling on top, and bits of coal on top, light the paper....Then just add some more coal...

angieh
25-06-2008, 11:55 AM
What sort of fire? Coal/logs - I presume you have an open fireplace and that the chimney is not blocked up or anything - you dont want to fill the room with smoke (or do you?)

OK so let's assume you've got a nice open fireplace with a grate and you have coal or logs -

1. screwed up dry newspaper as a base
2. dry kindling wood/sticks put on top
3. a few small pieces of coal or 1 or 2 small dry logs
4. using a match or taper, light the newspaper and let it establish burning the kindling sticks
5. then add more coal/logs as things start to burn well
6. try and get near the fire before SuzyQ!

Hope above helps!

(above extracted from biography of man who lived in Pudding Lane, London and was dated 1666.)

Mags
25-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Is there a supply of coal in the house where you're staying Elaine?

If so......roll up some newspaper by twisting it round and round - you will probably need about 4 - 5 twists. Place the paper in the fire grate then stack small pieces of wood on top of the paper in a pyramid shape.
Light the paper and when the wood has caught and is burning steadily, place small lumps of coal on top.......or I suppose you could use dry logs, but watch out for any flying sparks.

Or.......................

To make it a bit easier for you, you could buy a bag of instant smokeless fuel from a hardware store ....... that may be the better bet for you, less trouble ;)

http://domain903842.sites.fasthosts.com/acatalog/index.html

I take it there is no central heating system there?

Elaine
25-06-2008, 01:20 PM
:lol: @ Angie

There is iol central heating but I dont think there is any oil in the tank, either that or I am being thick coz i cannt find an on/off switch and all the radiators are on full:shock:
There are two big bags of burning peat, so I now need some wood/kindling?
Thanx every one, I'll let you know if I get it started.;)

Mags
26-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Did you manage to light a fire last night Elaine?

Elaine
26-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Yes I did thankyou Mags. Suzy and I were snug as bugs in rugs:D

dandysmom
26-06-2008, 04:46 PM
There is nothing like a real fire on a chilly evening! Glad you got it started!