PDA

View Full Version : Will he grow into his baggy skin !!!

northern lass
23-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi, A fairly random question but Max my 11 month old Kitten (very nearly a cat !) has got quiet alot of baggy skin. He was done back in December and I know that toms can develop a flap on their belly, but he seems to be quiet baggy all over - I hope this makes sense ! :?

I wieghed him yesterday and he is 11 pounds so he seems to be almost fully grown - just a big baggy :shock:

He is fit and healthy, loves chasing bees and his brother round the garden, I just worry if he does fill out he won't fit through the cat flap!!! :D

thanks

angieh
23-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I am looking forward to reading the replies you may get on this, northern lass! Sorry I am unable to reassure you, apart from saying that Merlin got baggy too, but I think it was just underneath - looked as if he needed to pull his trousers up a bit. As he's got older and lost a good deal of weight I don't notice it any more. If your Max is healthy otherwise I don't think you should send him in for a tummy tuck!

northern lass
23-06-2008, 10:05 PM
thanks Angie, I don't think he will need one - unless he does get too big for the cat flap lol

Moli
23-06-2008, 10:08 PM
All my boys, bar one have baggy tums....they are all normal weights too...

Mags
23-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Cassie has a saggy tum too! :lol:

You may find this link about saggy tums interestesting, their are further links to previous posts on this subject too. I think you will find it's quite common..;)

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=17211&highlight=saggy+tums

northern lass
24-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks for your replies. It's not just his belly that is a bit saggy, and as he is bigger than his brother I wondered if he would grow much bigger (are they fully grown at 1 year, then he has a month left !!)

He wieghs 11 lb which is top range for an adult cat, but his dad is huge (local ginger tom!)

It is wierd that his skin moves around so much when you stroke him - but he is loveable for it !!

dandysmom
25-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Thanks for your replies. It's not just his belly that is a bit saggy, and as he is bigger than his brother I wondered if he would grow much bigger (are they fully grown at 1 year, then he has a month left !!)

He wieghs 11 lb which is top range for an adult cat, but his dad is huge (local ginger tom!)

It is wierd that his skin moves around so much when you stroke him - but he is loveable for it !!

Here's a link that mentions cats loose skin and the reason for it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat#Skin

Scroll down to the Skin entry on the left; the whole article is very interesting.....

angieh
25-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks for posting that link, Eileen. Very interesting.

random
25-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi there, never had a 'baggy boy' myself, my old girl Tabs had a baggy tum after being spayed which stayed with her for life and one of my dogs has a baggy tum from weight loss which needs toning up but that's all!

On another note, I have found the age at which a male cat is fully grown varies, I have a 14 month old boy who is still growing, the girls are usually done growing at around 10-12 months but the boys I find it's about 18-24 months before they are fully grown, after 12 months they tend to not get any taller but fill out, gain more muscle and their head matures, although this is going by my own experience only, they do vary between breeds so it is more difficult to say for a moggy as they differ so much between each other.

Hope that helps a little. Do you have any pictures of him you could put up?