PDA

View Full Version : Merlin's operation

angieh
23-06-2008, 10:07 AM
What a shock to the system this getting up early business is - not only for me, but for Merlin too. He was allowed to have his breakfast before I took him to the vet this morning, but only just managed to get up in time for first breakfast (he usually has two, like a hobbit!).

He was very good in the car - and it was a longish journey, about 40 minutes. It was strange that when he was finally in the surgery and the vet went to get the hospital crate, he finally realised that something unusual was happening and started to protest. There is a really horrible moment when you have to turn away and leave - other people don't seem to exist and you just have to swallow hard and leave. I can phone the surgery between 3 - 4 this afternoon to see if he has settled OK. :( :( :(

I decided I needed some Rescue Remedy but the first chemist I went to wasn't open and neither was the second - notice on the door that pharmacist had been taken ill and shop couldn't open until a relief arrived. So I'll have to do without the rescue remedy. Little gremlin out there somewhere. :evil: :evil:

I'll keep you posted on this thread - thanks a million for all your support :) :) :)

yola
23-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Angie - I've not been around much this last week so although I was aware something was happening with Merlin and an op I didn't pick up on the details, sorry about that.

I'm thinking of you today. It's a difficult time, especially as you say that final turning away with a lump in your throat.

I will check back periodically to see how all is progressing.

Mags
23-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Angie, I can imagine how you are feeling right now, you can't stop thinking about Merlin and the house is empty without him.. (((hugs)))

He will be ok and once they remove the lump tomorrow he will be on the road to recovery and back home with you again.

Tons of healing vibes to Merlin and calming ones to you.... x

angieh
23-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks Yola and Mags. I have managed to get some Rescue Remedy now, as I had to get some Ibuprofen for OH. Can't say I feel a lot calmer yet. Do miss the old boy getting under my feet (Merlin, not OH!).

OH has raging toothache and can't get in to see his dentist until tomorrow. He'd have been better of going to see the vet.

pinklizzy
23-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I'll be thinking of you over the next few days Angie. Imogen and I send our love !

Moli
23-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Thinking of you today Angie.....loads of good vibes coming Merlins way....xx

angieh
23-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks Liz and Moli. OH just said he's missing Merlin too. As OH is feeling poorly with toothache, he's sitting watching the tennis. Merlin would normally be asleep on his lap at this time of the afternoon.

dandysmom
23-06-2008, 04:18 PM
That empty house feeling is so awful....I'll be thinking of you and Merlin till he's safely back home...(((hugs)))

angieh
23-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks Eileen!

I phoned the vet and Merlin has settled down, his IV line is in place and he has eaten some of the food that I took in for him (not knowing whether they only feed dry). I still feel kinda shakey - didn't sleep well last night and it's been a long day. Think a large G&T might be in order soon!

Moli
23-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Good to hear he is settled and eating Angie...when will he be coming home??

angieh
23-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Hopefully he will have his operation some time tomorrow and all things being equal he may be home on Wednesday or Thursday. They were talking about keeping him on IV for 24 hours or so after the operation.

PoshPuss
23-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi Angie,
Keep your chin up chick :D
I'm sure Merlin is doing ok. The vet nurses will spoil him rotten. Looking forward to hearing good news tomorrrow from you. Hugs to you and calming thoughts for Merlin.

Kazz
23-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Hiya Angie I have been thinking about the pair of you all day I did not sleep well last night either. Thinking of you and how you would fel taking him today it was a little as though he were mine...............daft eh!

However I have a good feeling about this I can feel loads of posts about Merlin diving about with his catitude coming up in the Summer months from you.

He will be fine, you take care, Karen

angieh
23-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks PP, thanks Karen.

There seems to be a Merlin-shaped empty space here tonight and it will seem strange going to bed cat-less. I've got my best picture of him on my pc, so I can talk to him every once in a while.

Been spending the evening putting the final touches to the Catsey quiz for Wednesday!

Elaine
23-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Big hugs Angie, I remember those feeling of feeling teary and leaving the old fella behind. The fluids will probably do him the power of good. Wishing him a speedy recovery xxx

Mags
23-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Good to hear that Merlin is settled at the vets and has eaten...

We are all with you Angie and Merlin should be chuffed at the support he is getting from his Catsey aunties! :D

He'll be fine and as PP said, all the vet nurses will be spoiling him rotten!:lol:

Will be thinking of you both tomorrow... (((hugs)))

angieh
23-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks Elaine. He's also having the blood scan to make sure he should be OK for the anaesthetic. Belt and braces, I thought.

angieh
23-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks Mags ............. our posts crossed, I think!

angieh
24-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Just phoned the vet. Merlin has not had his operation yet as they've had emergencies in this morning. Have to phone back about 5.30 to see how things have progressed. My dear old boy is fine and settled and has had lots of cuddles and attention. He's still on IV.

Thought the operation would be over by now ........

pinklizzy
24-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Oh Angie! That must be so disappointing for you, unfortunately it does happen like that. I'm glad he's settled there though.

random
24-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Awww Angie sorry to hear that as you will be anxious waiting, at least he is being well looked after and is settled there. x

dandysmom
24-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Oh dear! The waiting is the hard part........ hope they do it soon and he'll be well on the road to recovery and coming home. (((hugs)))

angieh
24-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Just had a phone call from the vet, apologetic about the delay. Surgery went well and Merlin is in recovery. They discovered a second cyst like thing nearby which was also removed with the one incision. Merlin is back on IV and will be monitored closely overnight. The vet said they would like to keep him on IV overnight and for as much of tomorrow as possible. I have to phone around 10.00 in the morning to see when he can come home. He'll be coming out with a collar as he obviously mustn't scratch anything!

First hurdle is over - my poor sweetheart, I expect his little face will be very sore for a while. Can't wait to get him home.

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes - it really has helped me. Please keep the healing vibes flowing for Merlin. :D

yola
24-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm delighted to hear that he's come through the op so well. And the vet is being right to be cautious and keep him in on extra fluids. I'm sure he'll be back with you in no time!

Lots of hugs and well wishes to Merlin and thoughts of a bottle of valium especially for you ;)

Moli
24-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Great to hear he has come through it and is reovering Angie...

Mags
24-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Big sigh of relief that Merlin's op is over .......hope you get a better night's sleep now Angie..:)

Kazz
24-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Yeahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! sorry I sent a PM before looking at this thread.

I am so pleased we (Sal) and I were in Sutton park this afternoon and I had a little sit on a bench with a stunning view and thought about Merin and you, that was about 4.00pmish so pleased all went well seems cysts do have a habit of spreading (Cleo had two as you know one I had not seen) so bet you're pleased he had it removed now imagine his discomfort with two of the things......he'll be home before you know it.

angieh
24-06-2008, 06:30 PM
That's what did it Karen! Your thoughts - it was a bit spooky the vet finding a second cyst like Cleo, although he didn't say anything about the possibility of it being anything more. He warned me that they could recur and presumably it isn't known yet what causes them in the first place.

I will probably need advice when I get him home about how to keep him calm. He won't like the collar that's for sure and I'd rather he didn't injure himself trying to get it off.

I dare say the vet will give advice about post operative care, but if anyone has any hints, tips or wheezes - please feel free to pass them on!

And thanks so much everyone. :D

Rum and coke for me this evening ........ :-D :-D :-D

Kazz
24-06-2008, 06:38 PM
I think you will find he will sleep for the first few days while the anthestic travels through his system I did notice that with Cleo she was more sleepy (if thats possible with old cats) than normal following the op by the time she felt a lot better not as tired the stitches were out.........see the benefits of older cats having ops..:) lol

But he will feel a heck of a lot better.I think it hits them all of a sudden, stitches out/enthestic worn off no cyst....
happiness.

Not sure what to stop him scratching it Cleo never touched hers.....but then she was dense...............

Erin
24-06-2008, 07:12 PM
So glad he's come through ok Angie :D xxx

candyshandy
24-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Really pleased to hear he's come through the op ok - those fluids will do their magic.

(((hugs))) to you.

xxx

pinklizzy
24-06-2008, 07:29 PM
So glad it all went well!

Elaine
24-06-2008, 07:34 PM
So very pleased that everything went well for Merlin today.
Will be nice to get him home again eh?
Best wishes to you both xxx

HappyKatz
24-06-2008, 07:37 PM
So happy to hear Merlin is doing well :-D Hope he keeps getting better & better!

angieh
24-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks so much everyone. I am sure that Merlin would send purrrrrs too!

How do people manage with poorly pusscats if they don't know about Catsey? How did I manage beforehand???????

dandysmom
24-06-2008, 07:51 PM
So happy it's over, went well and he'll be back home soon! I will start sending "Leave-the-cone-alone, Merlin" vibes now. Bless him, he'll be so glad to be back where he belongs!

random
24-06-2008, 08:00 PM
So glad to hear it went well in the end Angie, Anakin sends gentle hugs to Uncle Merlin and hopes he can cheer you up with a game of chase-Auntie-Angie's-legs-whenever-she-gets-up, that's his current fave!

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery, all the best. x

angieh
25-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I have just spoken to the nurse at the vet's. Merlin has had a settled night, he's eaten and drunk some water and is doing fine. He doesn't like the collar!!!

I will be going to bring him home at 5.00 this afternoon.

Elaine
25-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Brilliant news, I am so pleased he will be home with you later today xxx

Moli
25-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Great to hear he is coming home...he will recover quicker if he is in his own home with his mum...

Mags
25-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Brilliant news Angie, so pleased he is well and coming home today... :D

Kay
25-06-2008, 12:52 PM
That is really good news. Big hug for Merlin.

dandysmom
25-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Wonderful! A chin tickle to the good boy when he gets home!

angieh
25-06-2008, 07:05 PM
WOOPEEE! HE'S HOME!!!

My darling boy is home again - he's still quite wobbly, but he is sitting in his second favourite place - on the mat in the link room in the sunshine. He has eaten 2 small saucers of food already.

But, and I am going to whisper this - the poor darling smells of wee. Now I know with the collar on he can't groom himself. I am quite happy to give him the once over with an old face cloth - would you just use warm water, or put anything (like a bit of salt or hibiscrub) in it?

I have to remove the bandage from his leg in a bit so could do it then .........

Moli
25-06-2008, 07:22 PM
So pleased he is back home Angie....Give him a gentle cuddle from me...x

yola
25-06-2008, 07:32 PM
My daft old Balie used to smell of wee when he took to sitting in the litter tray. I was a bit more brutal and stuck him in the shower with some medicated cat shampoo :oops:

I would say, considering Merlin's delicate post-op state warm water would suffice for now.

Delighted to be reading he's home. Big, but gentle hugs to him :)

dandysmom
25-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Give him a gentle Welcome Home pat from me! I think I'd just use warm water.....

pinklizzy
25-06-2008, 07:54 PM
So glad he's home! I think I'd just use warm water on a face cloth or similar, it'll make him feel better I'm sure. Alternatively you can get dry shampoo which we use at the practice for in-patients, it's a lot less stressful than a full bath!

Mags
25-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Welcome home Merlin! :D So pleased he is back where he belongs Angie......I hope his recovery goes smoothly..:D

Kazz
25-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Warm face flannel I think you may find he has sat in his litter try in the vets or wee'd himself while under sedation. Cleo did this I just wiped her down wih a damp flannel round her back legs "trousers" and the nunderside of her tail to the end.

Kazz
25-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Plain warm water, thats all

angieh
25-06-2008, 09:27 PM
OK - thanks. I think I'll go and do that now and see if my little darling wants any more food and give him a bit of a cuddle. His poor little face .....

Mags
25-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Is he trying to get his collar off Angie?

Kazz
25-06-2008, 10:43 PM
He will get a little bit better everyday and soon you won't remember this all you will recall is how well he got over it and how well he is "in the now" give him a week and he will be heaps and heaps better and then a week later you won;t recall it at all and his fur will regrow and all will be forgotten..............Promise

Kay
25-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Give him a big hug from me. Bless him.

angieh
26-06-2008, 12:01 AM
He really hates the collar and was scratching at it earlier - he has a red mark on his neck already, not from his scratching but from where the collar is rubbing - I'm sure they could be designed/made from something better. Having said that I am absolutely clear that it has to stay on as the wound is in such a scratchable place just in front of his left ear. I could see the whites of his eyes earlier - every time he moves it spooks him.

But, he has eaten one and a half sachets of food and I will be very happy when he has done a poo. He was getting so regular before he went in for the op, so he's only been 3 days without. I did ask the nurse if he'd "been" but he hadn't, not surprisingly.

Just need to try and get him comfy and settled for the night now - I have given him a little wash and he purrrred at me! Oh Kazz, I do so hope that you're right - this is really a hard part.

angieh
26-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Just to let all Merlin's kind friends know, he has had a very settled night. He slept on our bed between us, so we know that he hardly moved all night, and neither did we!

He's up now and has already eaten his first breakfast - he's stretched out on the window sill now, how he got up there between the curtains with that cone is a mystery!

No poo yet.

Elaine
26-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Glad to hear he had a restful night. Must have been the releif to be home:D
Sending lots of love and chin rubs;)

yola
26-06-2008, 09:23 AM
The poo will come :shock: I know when mine (Darcy in particular) had a really major op, he didn't poo for nearly a week.

Delighted to read Merlin's had a restful night.

Mags
26-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Pleased to hear dear Merlin has had a good night and is eating well ......that's another day behind you Angie..:D

When is he due to have his stitches out?

angieh
26-06-2008, 12:40 PM
He has to go for a post-op check tomorrow afternoon Mags - managed to get the appointment at the branch not far from us, so no 40 minute trip to do, luckily. All being well, his stitches are due to come out tomorrow week. He's being such a brave boy.

dandysmom
26-06-2008, 04:03 PM
So pleased he had a restful night and is eating! The poo will come.....They do so hate that collar, don't they; bless the good boy!

Kazz
26-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Of course I am right, the time will fly by and his stitches will be out he will by then feel so good you wll be restraining him.

angieh
26-06-2008, 08:23 PM
I've been washing him with an old face cloth of mine with just warm water - and he purrs at me. How dreadful it must be for a fastidious animal to not be able to clean himself - and then to thank me for doing it for him! He has had his supper and metacam tonight and a little bit of haddock that I was cooking for human supper! I realised that he just couldn't get his mouth anywhere near his water bowl, so gave him some water in a saucer - he half emptied it, poor mite was that thirsty. Sure these are the things that should be mentioned on the post op printout. Normal cat food and drink bowls may be inacessable (can't spell that word!) to a cat with a collar on!

pinklizzy
26-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Yep, it definately should have been mentioned! We always advise people that their pets may have trouble eating and drinking with the collar on. How is his neck? Is it being rubbed by the e-collar?

angieh
26-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Yes seems to be Liz - there is a red mark - not too inflamed at the moment, but those collars - OK guess they're disposable and cheap to produce, but surely they could be better designed and made out of something not quite as rigid. I'm sure if I was a product designer, I could come up with something better, but probably more expensive! It needs some cushioning around the neck - I had thought of using an old silk scarf - what do you think?

pinklizzy
26-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I think that's the problem-they need to be cheap to be produce, but they still shouldn't be causing irritation to his neck. If it's the edge of the collar itself, maybe you could attach something like cotton-wool/wadding to the collar using more elastoplast? If you fold it over the plastic edge?

angieh
26-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes - I'll give that a go Liz. I think any cushioning would help.

PoshPuss
26-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Welcome Home Mr Merlin :D
Glad to hear he's recovering well Angie, phew, relief!
Hope the collar prob can be quickly sorted, Liz knows her onions here :D wadding seems the best resort.
Chinny tickles for the big man from us two :-D

Kay
26-06-2008, 10:00 PM
So glad Merlin is recovering well. I know how you feel about those collars. Poor Tate took ages to learn to eat with it on but he is fine with it know. His isn't rubbing at all. Is Merlin's rough on the edge? If it is I would ask for another.

angieh
26-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I don't actually think it's rough or sharp, it's just the edge of the collar and the angle that it has to sit on Merlin's neck. He goes for his post op check tomorrow, so I will ask the vet to look at it. I'm afraid that if I take it off, I'll never be able to get it back on the poor old lambkin.

angieh
27-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Update for Merlin's kind friends. HE'S HAD A POO!!!!

I praised him and said he'd been such a good boy, he could have anything in the whole world that he wanted. I said that I'd even buy him an Aston Martin if he wanted ..... d'you know, I'll swear he smiled at me! Probably thought what a daft woman!

Mags
27-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Well done Merlin!! :-D

We do get excited over a natural bodily function on here don't we but it's a 'relief' all round when we hear the news!! :lol:

dandysmom
27-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Wonderful! Before I joined Catsey I would never have believed I'd be so delighted to hear that news.......:-D Well done, Merlin!!

angieh
27-06-2008, 05:01 PM
We're also back from the vet after Merlin's post operative checkup. All is well and the incision is coming along nicely. The vet has put some tape around the edge of the collar next to Merlin's neck, which should help cushion it a bit.

Next Friday, all being well, the stitches will come out!

I could try to get a photo of the patient with his collar on - not sure if that is something we'd all like to see though. Do let me know.

Kazz
27-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Love to see a picture of Merlin, I doubt we wil see the collar as like you all we will see is a "returning to health much loved cat"

dandysmom
27-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Love to see a picture of Merlin, I doubt we wil see the collar as like you all we will see is a "returning to health much loved cat"

Kazz has put it so well, as ever.. ! :D ..yes, do let us see the dear boy!

Elaine
28-06-2008, 10:10 AM
I definately would love to see a picture of the gorgeous merlin returning to health:D

Kay
28-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Definitely could do with a pic of Merlin.

Glad everything went well at his appointment and hopefully he collar is a bit comfier.

PoshPuss
28-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Yes piccies please Angie so we can all go AHHHHH! and send more sympathy and healing vibes for our dear Merlin :D

angieh
28-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Here's the lad, photo taken this afternoon -

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Merlin/005-2.jpg

I've got a few more to sort through, I think there's one where you can see where the cyst used to be a bit more clearly. Guess I'd best post them it photos section.

dandysmom
28-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Oh poor darling, he looks so unhappy in that collar........:(

angieh
28-06-2008, 09:05 PM
He hates it Eileen, which is natural. I hate it too, but if it prevents him pulling his stitches or scratching at his wound, then I'm not taking it off. I don't suppose all the extra cuddles and soothing words in the world can make it any better for him at the moment. Fair breaks my heart watching him trying to groom himself.

Kazz
28-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Come on Angie admit it you tempted him with food/toy for that picture didn't you?

Have to say his eyes look different......you can see the infection is well and truely gone now can't you.
You can see it in his eyes, free from discomfort. You did the right thing with this operation just think you are almost a week clear now this time next week the collar will be off. Small chunks.......the rest disolves into memory, thankfuly.

Kazz
28-06-2008, 09:07 PM
He hates it Eileen, which is natural. I hate it too, but if it prevents him pulling his stitches or scratching at his wound, then I'm not taking it off. I don't suppose all the extra cuddles and soothing words in the world can make it any better for him at the moment. Fair breaks my heart watching him trying to groom himself.

The part I have highlighted shows true respect for your cat. And I for one would stand and applaud you for it. In fact I will and wake the dog up. ;)

dandysmom
28-06-2008, 09:10 PM
That looks as if its made of some sort of clear plastic. When Dandy had one years ago it was a very heavy cardboard type of material..he had it off within a half hour after we got home.....:roll:

Kazz
28-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Knew food was involved. ;)

angieh
29-06-2008, 12:28 AM
I had the small saucer of mince in my hand when OH took that photo Kazz!

Yes Eileen, it is a clear plastic, but has thin white lines running though it - why white lines I have no idea. I said to the vet that I thought they could design a better product but thought that as it was probably cheap to produce and disposable it stayed as it was. He did say that manufacturers over the years had tinkered with the design, but in getting one part better, another part was not so good. I just think something a bit more flexible and perhaps a bit softer would be easier for an animal to wear.

Mags
29-06-2008, 03:44 AM
Bless him, it's a wonder he can reach any food at all with that on......:(