PDA

View Full Version : Music from your youth

Kazz
22-06-2008, 09:45 PM
What were your fav groups/singers, and songs, from 'way back then'....yes this may age us a bit :-D :-D

Loved Status Quo, Bay City Rollers, mud, David Cassidy, David Bowie (anyone remember his 'The Laughing Gnome) Another David whos last name won't come but wow did I fancy him LOL ...Showwaddywaddy, Slade, Sweet, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Marc Bolan and T. Rex, Roxy music, the list is endless....and anything i could dance too as well!

Ah....and of course...David Essex http://www.*********forum.co.uk/images/default/sml_wnk.png

I also liked the Osmonds but preffered BCRollers :-D

Your turn people.

Moli
22-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I have always loved The Bee Gee's still do....I have every song they ever recorded from the 70's till now...

Erin
22-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Im to young to participate in this thread....... just thought I would point that out to you all :-D :lol: :lol:

Moli
22-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Im to young to participate in this thread....... just thought I would point that out to you all :-D :lol: :lol:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I will remember that Erin!!:roll: :lol:

Erin
22-06-2008, 10:17 PM
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I will remember that Erin!!:roll: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Elaine
22-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Wizzard, Rubbettes, Mud, Bowie, T-Rex, followed by Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ruts, Crass, Buzzcocks, The Cure, Souxsie and the Banshees, PIL, The Jam, The Specials and oh so many more:lol:

Come on Erin ofcourse you can join in this one, Your dad can help:lol: :lol: :lol:

smudgley
22-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Wham, Elkie Brooks, Cher, Hot Chocolate,

Erin
Wizzard, Rubbettes, Mud, Bowie, T-Rex, followed by Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ruts, Crass, Buzzcocks, The Cure, Souxsie and the Banshees, PIL, The Jam, The Specials and oh so many more:lol:

Come on Erin ofcourse you can join in this one, Your dad can help:lol: :lol: :lol:

Elaine!!!! Dont encourage him!!!! :lol: :lol:

Mags
The Beatles, BeeGees ........ I've forgotten the rest!! :-D

Mags
22-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Now this will shock you but I hold my hand up to owning a Des'O Connor CD!! :oops:

Moli
22-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Now this will shock you but I hold my hand up to owning a Des'O Connor CD!! :oops:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Moli
22-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I love Cher, and used to like Elkie Brooks too, went to see her live once, she was brilliant...

smudgley
22-06-2008, 10:29 PM

Oh dear tha's pretty bad, in fact if I was a moderator I would remove that on your behalf :lol:

Erin
22-06-2008, 10:31 PM

I didnt know he sings :?

Elaine
22-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Oh dear tha's pretty bad, in fact if I was a moderator I would remove that on your behalf :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Could have been worse Kel, could have been a ken dodd cd:shock:

babycakes
22-06-2008, 10:32 PM
My problem is that I still love it all!!!!!

The beatles, especially John Lennon, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac, T Rex, Queen, Supertramp, Wham, anything from the eighties, the list goes on and on

Moli
22-06-2008, 10:34 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
22-06-2008, 10:37 PM
I am really showing my age here: the Big Band era: Glen Miller, the Ames Brothers, Sinatra; then the folk era: Peter, Paul and Mary, Mamas and Papas, Burl Ives, Harry Belafonte; Arlo Guthrie, Ian and Sylvia, Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves; rock: Elvis, Chuck Berry. BeeGees, Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles, Highwaymen, Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, Beach Boys, Sonny and Cher....gotta stop; this list could go on and on!!

smudgley
22-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I didnt know he sings :?

Your best not knowing really. ;)

Kazz
22-06-2008, 10:49 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Could have been worse Kel, could have been a ken dodd cd:shock:

Oi you my Mom loves Ken Dodd singing.............seriously

Elaine
22-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Oi you my Mom loves Ken Dodd singing.............seriously

:oops: Ooops:lol:

Kazz
22-06-2008, 10:53 PM
I also like Country and Western, I like Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton etc and like Big bands too Eileen I like Glen Miller.

I also really really like Dean Martin and Sinatra and loved the duet between him and Crosby in "Philedelphia story"

Also Presley and of course Queen.

Moli
22-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Double Ooooops!!:oops: :lol:

Kazz
22-06-2008, 10:54 PM
:oops: Ooops:lol:

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Moli
22-06-2008, 10:56 PM
I must admit to liking Kenny Rogers too...

Mags
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....... good one Smudgley!

Kazz
Its alright the Ooooppps brigade can breath again my Mom also enjoys a laugh hence Ken Dodd :) Happiness is one of her favourites.....

Elaine
22-06-2008, 10:57 PM
I really really love Scott Walker, the Kinks, Stevie Wonder, Luicille Bogan and Kirsty Mcoll.

dandysmom
22-06-2008, 10:58 PM
I forgot the Eagles and the Kinks!!

Mags
22-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Oh yes.... Elvis (still have some of his records:-D) and Queen ......I could listen to them all day long!:lol:

angieh
22-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I have to admit that, aged 5, I liked Cliff Richard - my parents allowed me to stay up to watch him on The London Palladium - they always put the "big name" on last! Then in my teenage years it was The Beatles, Mammas and Pappas, Lovin' Spoonful, Gordon Lightfoot. Then I was into folk rock, Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Lindisfarne, Rabbie Noakes, Donovan etc. That sort of mooged into music to cut your wrists by - Leonard Cohen. Then my next adult fixes were Eric Clapton, Queen and Bryan Adams and all sorts of other influences mostly blues and soul. Sadly I can't find anything current that I really like - wish I could.

Sorry forgot Kirsty McColl - how could I?

Moli
22-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Only one Elvis!!!!!:smt049

Mags
22-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Neil Diamond was another favourite :lol:

dandysmom
22-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Nostalgia night on Catsey...I'm going to put on a stack of old favorite CDs after dinner .......thanks, Kazz !

Moli
22-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Anyone remember.Nazareth?? Loved their "Broken Down Angel"...

yola
23-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Most of mine are from the 80s but very diverse; Gary Numan, Japan, (hell - my mind's gone blank . . . runs to check napster list), The Jam, Siouxie + The Glove, Soft Cell + Marc and the Mambas, then I loved the Specials, Anti Nowhere League, Stiff Little Fingers, Elvis Costello (sorry, NOT Presley), Squeeze, Talking Heads, B52s, The Smiths . . .etc etc etc

Juli
23-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Used to be woken up on a sunday morning by my mum's music as she did the housework so love The Carpenters, Mama's and Papa's, Neil Diamond, Elton John and Hot Chocolate. Then i discovered my very varied taste in music
Prince, Japan,The Skids,The Toy Dolls,Wham,Duran Duran,Gary Numan and Terrorvision. And i loved alot of the one hit wonders
Does anyone remember Einstein a go-go? Amadeus by Falco?
Waiting for a train by Flash in the pan?

angieh
23-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I forgot Free, James Taylor, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Cat Stevens and of course Gerry Rafferty!

yola
23-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Does anyone remember Einstein a go-go? Amadeus by Falco?
Waiting for a train by Flash in the pan?

Yes!!! Remember all of those :-D Falco was superb, and dishy too . . . sadly he is no longer :( But unlike in the uk, he wasn't a one-hit wonder in Europe he was a major star!

dandysmom
23-06-2008, 04:01 PM
I forgot Free, James Taylor, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Cat Stevens and of course Gerry Rafferty!

More that I left off: Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell!

MrsH
23-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Oooo So many! Nearly everybody in the 60's (must include the Platters from the 50's as well though) The Hollies, Dave Clark Five, the Animals, Sonny and Cher ("our song" is "I Got You Babe" ;)) Mamas and the Papas, Beach Boys, the Drifters, Four Seasons, Everly Brothers, Cliff Richard (of course!) but my absolute knock-out favourite was Del Shannon. Oooh, I can feel my pulse quickening just by typing his name.

Teenage years were definitely the best!

dandysmom
23-06-2008, 07:56 PM
The Everly Brothers! That was the first tape I got for my Walkman (remember them?) to listen to as I jogged........"Wake up, little Suzie, wake up..." :-D

angieh
23-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Buddy Holly ......... The Beach Boys! That "All American" sound. :D :D :D

dandysmom
23-06-2008, 08:56 PM
They don't make 'em like they used to..........:-D

Car songs: GTO! Little Nash Rambler!! Maybelline! Wipeout! Dead Man's Curve!

Mags
23-06-2008, 10:52 PM
The Everly Brothers! That was the first tape I got for my Walkman (remember them?) to listen to as I jogged........"Wake up, little Suzie, wake up..." :-D

I used to sing that to my daughter when she was a baby...... her name is Sue! :lol:

Elaine
23-06-2008, 10:55 PM
The Damned, Johnny Thunders, The Slits, The Only Ones, New model Army, Joan Armatrading and Patti Smith, oh and not forgetting John Cooper Clark:D

dandysmom
23-06-2008, 10:55 PM
[/b]
I used to sing that to my daughter when she was a baby...... her name is Sue! :lol:

That is making me feel even more ancient than I am!!! :-D

Mags
23-06-2008, 11:06 PM
That is making me feel even more ancient than I am!!! :-D
Oops sorry....didn't mean to! :lol:

Kim
23-06-2008, 11:09 PM
My absolute fav was David Cassidy - I was soooo in love with him!! :oops: I also liked Stevie Wonder, The Osmonds, The Carpenters, Abba & Simon & Garfunkel & Queen of course - Freddie Mercury was amazing. I love a lot of the 60's stuff too, especially the Beach Boys & Freddie & The Dreamers. (really showing my age now!) :-D

CathyW
28-06-2008, 11:20 PM
i was madly in love with marc bolan when i was young. had his posters up all over my bedroom walls, used to blow them kisses goodnight :oops:
my OH down loaded a load of his music so when thats playing im *boppin* away in the kitchen. (starts humming ride a white swan now LOL):-D

CathyW
28-06-2008, 11:21 PM
The Damned, Johnny Thunders, The Slits, The Only Ones, New model Army, Joan Armatrading and Patti Smith, oh and not forgetting John Cooper Clark:Dhad a beer with monty the keyboard player of the dammed a few yrs back :-D

PoshPuss
29-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Quote Kim: "My real fav was David Cassidy, I was so in love with him..."

Ah-em.. I was going to marry that guy, it was all arranged ya know :-D.
AHHHHH DAVID ; I went to White City Stadium to see him in 1974. It was heartbreaking to realise that 40,000 other girls were of the same opinion, they thought they had a chance too... :lol:

When I got over my crush I got seriously into Rod Stewart and Queen and Bowie, now that was an excellent time, I love all music. Don't tell, but I've even bought a Barry Manilow album! :D

debbie1512
30-06-2008, 06:26 PM
yes i am too young to remember all those as well

angieh
30-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Not sure if people still order CDs (or whatever!) pre-release date nowadays, but there was a time in my early teens when you could pre-order your vinyl copy of LPs (now that's really showing my age) - so, following this thread - whose albums did you pre-order?????

I only ever bothered to do that with The Beatles albums, because they sold out if you didn't! And I have a clear picture in my head of the record store that I used to go to and the booths where you could put headphones on and listen to whatever music you wanted. Used to hang out in that store quite a lot on Saturday afternoons!!!!

dandysmom
30-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Not sure if people still order CDs (or whatever!) pre-release date nowadays, but there was a time in my early teens when you could pre-order your vinyl copy of LPs (now that's really showing my age) - so, following this thread - whose albums did you pre-order?????

I only ever bothered to do that with The Beatles albums, because they sold out if you didn't! And I have a clear picture in my head of the record store that I used to go to and the booths where you could put headphones on and listen to whatever music you wanted. Used to hang out in that store quite a lot on Saturday afternoons!!!!

Haven't thought of that in ages!!! We used to hang out there in my high school days also......:D