PDA

View Full Version : Do cats find you?

Kazz
22-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Following on from Moli's thread about the stray, it made me wonder do cats find cat people or do cat people notice the cats.
I will expand, do cats hang around and stay in places where they will be fed, and move on from the ones no one notices. And do cat people notice the cats that are hanging around - ie recognise "new" cats to the area, and feed them thus encouraging them to hang around.

I just wondered following on from Moli's thread.

Elaine
22-06-2008, 07:17 PM
I think thats exactly it Kazz, cats hang around close to a food source and cat lovers are the one who generally notice them more and take an interest.

Mags
22-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Years ago we had four feral kittens arrive from nowhere.......they were so small and appealing and very timid that I used to leave out a bowl of food for them every day. As they grew bigger I was able to smooth one as it was eating....the other three would growl and run away. I wouldn't have been able to catch them at that time but not long after I noticed one of the tabbies had got very round....yes she was pregnant!
I continued to befriend her and she would eventually run up to me in the garden so one day I had Cassie's carrier ready and hubby on hand and between us we managed to catch her and take her to the Cats & Dogs home. Another neighbour befriended another of the tabbie's and managed to take it on as a pet although it preferred to live outside......she had it neutered and looked after it for years. Never did find out what happened to the other two:?

So in answer to your question Kazz (sorry that was so long!:lol:) .... yes I do believe they hang around where they are taken notice of and fed. I wouldn't feed or encourage a healthy looking cat though as I would guess it had an owner somewhere;)

dandysmom
22-06-2008, 08:49 PM
I think you're right, Kazz, cat people do tend to notice; however I think some cats seem to have an uncanny ability to home in on that cat person. Carolyn is one of them, she had rescued and rehomed two strays before Onyx...one a lovely boy who looked like Bernie, and a pretty black-and-white little girl. And since she moved to Oklahoma she's befriended a nice grey boy, had him seen at the vet and found a loving home for him. And another one is hanging about now...he's a bit shy but coming for his food.....

Misty was the only cat who ever found me....

babycakes
22-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Our first two cats were dumped on our doorstep wrapped in a pink cardigan with their eyes still closed. ( we didn't have animals so they weren't dropped for that reason). The next three turned up at the door and stayed, another two we stole from a neighbour who didn;t look after them. Denis is the only one that I picked out

Moli
22-06-2008, 10:38 PM
They seem to find their way here no bother, not sure why though...Maybe its gone round the neighbourhood I am a softie!!

alexgirl73
23-06-2008, 08:32 AM
oh yes!! I'm sure there's a neon sign in our neighbourhood somewhere saying 'cat hotel this way' and an arrow pointing to my back garden lol!!!

angieh
23-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Some of you may remember the story of how Smudge found me that I posted in Gone but not forgotten. Merlin was brought into the place where I worked and was adopted on the spot - I was actually on the verge of looking for a cat at that point, so we sort of found each other. I may have said before that my mother's family were all cat lovers and my uncle (who was a strange bunny in other respects) travelled and lived in different places all over the world. He told me he had never gone out looking for a cat, but within days of settling in a new home, a cat would find him.

They used to say that gypsies put their secret marks on kindly peoples' doors or gates. Guess cats do the same.

dandysmom
23-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Some of you may remember the story of how Smudge found me that I posted in Gone but not forgotten. Merlin was brought into the place where I worked and was adopted on the spot - I was actually on the verge of looking for a cat at that point, so we sort of found each other. I may have said before that my mother's family were all cat lovers and my uncle (who was a strange bunny in other respects) travelled and lived in different places all over the world. He told me he had never gone out looking for a cat, but within days of settling in a new home, a cat would find him.

They used to say that gypsies put their secret marks on kindly peoples' doors or gates. Guess cats do the same.

That as said of hoboes here during the Great Depression!